cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got scammed as buyer: Seller perpetrated a "same-zip-code" scam using a non-related tracking#

Beware eBay buyers! I just got scammed as a buyer. We are in March of 2021 and this scam has been around for some years now as I see online, I just learned about it the hard way. It looks like in some cases eBay doesn't know how to tell when a tracking number is a good valid one that relates to a specific purchase you made as a buyer at a specific time. 

If the seller buys and creates the shipping label on eBay (or I guess paypal) then I would assume eBay does have more knowledge and access to the label details, however if the seller just posts a tracking # that was NOT created on the eBay platform then eBay does NOT know how to check the label for validity related to your specific purchase. This tracking # can be totally irrelevant to your purchase if the seller is a scammer.

This can be a tracking # from USPS or UPS or other carriers, the bottom line is that the seller can post a tracking number that is "real"  but has no connection to your purchase at all. As long as the tracking number is kind of current in time-frame period, and it went to any random address BUT in your same zip-code, then it would look like it was delivered to YOU since the tracking will say "delivered to (your name of town & zip-code)". 

The seller-scammer has some way to get access and obtain existing tracking numbers that are in transit at the moment, from any point A anywhere to any point B but within your zip-code. (any name doesn't matter as long as the destination is in your zip-code). How do they get these tracking numbers in real time I don't know but the scammers do know how to... (do they hack UPS for getting these tracking numbers? Is there a black marketplace that sells live tracking numbers in real-time?)

They post on the sale this tracking number and then voilà,  it shows as "delivered to (your name of town & zip-code)". It looks like you got the item, that's what eBay will see and their computer system will believe.

So you, the buyer, will look like a potential fraudster since you claim you didn't get something even though it shows marked as delivered...  but in reality the tracking # that was posted has nothing to do with you and your purchase at all.

Basically to make it simple, someone really shipped something to someone in your zip code, around this same time-frame, this tracking# is then used by the scammer-seller to make it look like you got your purchased item. (this other person in your town has nothing to do with this scam and don't know anything about this whole saga).

From what I read online it looks like many many buyers ACTUALLY lost their money and eBay did NOT refund them but rather sided with the seller since it looks like they performed properly and you the buyer may be trying to scam the seller.

In my case we shall see how this unfolds? This problem for me is still current and in eBay's hands, I hope they do the right thing!

The seller "sold" me a new computer mouse, the price was too good to be true and his eBay history was just a few months old so maybe I should have seen it coming, but I have purchased good deals on eBay many time before and I never heard about this scam.

I am trying to convince eBay to refund me the funds I paid but at the moment they are "giving the seller a chance to respond". He did respond by posting again, and then again for the 3rd time, the same irrelevant tracking# that has nothing to do with my purchase at all. (Hint, I called UPS to ask and was told so).

The seller perpetrated a "same-zip-code" scam using a non-related tracking# as I explained above, hope this helps anyone who comes across this description to understand what's going on, I was confused at first.

There are 2 ways the seller-scammer can do this:

They can actually send an empty box, or full of junk or anything inside to give it some weight, and they can ship it to any random address they find online but as long as it is in your own real zip-code. (this method will cost them money to ship with UPS or any carrier and they will buy the label directly and NOT on eBay.) The person getting this box will open it and throw it away, but eBay will think you received your purchase since the tracking will say "delivered to (your name of town & zip-code)".

The 2nd method, in which they don't ship anything, is what I described above and is what happened in my case. The scammer used an existing tracking# they gained knowledge of in real time. This random other person in my town has nothing to do with this issue, he/she just bought something unrelated to me, probably unrelated even to eBay, and we just happen to share the same zip-code. The seller-scammer posts this tracking # in my purchase and Voilà, it looks like my order was delivered:  "delivered to (your name of town & zip-code)".

Now, you can call UPS and USPS etc, in my case they confirmed on the phone that this specific tracking# was for a label that did NOT go to my own address. That's good enough for me as proof. But the actual address where it went to is confidential as UPS told me so there is nothing they can give me in writing as proof.

Will eBay call UPS to ask them where it went to? Will eBay know how to check this tracking # and see it had nothing to do with me?

I do hope so and we shall see... somehow I don't see the eBay rep calling UPS to ask about this tracking# like I did, also if the decision is made by an eBay computer system will it know how to understand this scam?

In addition to me as the buyer, others that are scammed are: eBay, Paypal, my credit card co, probably other entities. Chances are that after I, hopefully, get refunded this scammer-seller will still walkaway with the money and may be long gone by now. It's a shame but it degrades my eBay experience and will make me more hesitant on future purchases. Do eBay and Paypal really have no good way to weed out these scammers? (he sold 8 of these items so I am sure many others are dealing with this guy as we speak).

eBay, please do the right thing!!! 

Hope this helps someone else...

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Got scammed as buyer: Seller perpetrated a "same-zip-code" scam using a non-related tracking#

Yep, dealing with one right now via FedEx shipped by a NARU.

Have to go to FedEx today and get it sorted out.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

I just had this happen to me as well.  Seller shipping using FedEx and I watched the tracking saying it would deliver 3-15.  

Sure enough it showed "delivered left at back door", the only problem is that FedEx did not deliver it to me as I was home ar supposed time of delivery.

Called FedEx right away to see if they could "find" my package.  They were very helpful after I verified my info and said that although they could not tell me who the package was delivered to or the address; they could tell me that the label did indeed not have my name and address on it.

Contacted seller for refund, filed a missing parts/pieces and reported incident to Ebay.

Not wanting a ding or worse an investigation of shipping fraud the seller refunded, so don't just throw your hands up, FIGHT!!  Good luck

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

Well you need to get written proof this was done form the shipper to have eBay do anything about it.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

Your seller is no longer a registered user.  It appears that their account has been closed.   A seller cannot close their account when a dispute is in progress and therefore they were banned by eBay.  Sellers are required to kept an account open or 60 days after their final if they want to close it voluntarily.  Please point this out to eBay and get your money back. sale

In these types of disputes you will need written documentation from the shipping carrier that the tracking number was not related to your address.  eBay will not call the carrier.

Also  the community forum has a policy that you can't post a sellers user ID on the discussion boards.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

That is a very good explanation you gave for everything.

Another variable use in this scam is a cheap item is order with a delivery in you zip code.  This gets them a Tacking Number in  your Zip Code.  Most likely the person the cheap item was sent to has nothing to do with the scam and are surprised when the receive the item.

The shipping service may not tell you where or who the item was sent to but you could go in person and ask them to give you a letter stating that the Tracking Number was not delivered to you or your address.  Take a copy of you eBay documentation that show the Tracking Number was supposedly sent to you. 

If shipper is USPS you may be able to file some type of a fraud compliant with them.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

Thanks for your reply and advice, this was my first ever post on eBay forum of any topic, didn't know about the user ID policy. (I do see the seller's account is now closed, thanks for the tip!)

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

Paypal also loves to fall for that. Always pay by credit card and they you still have a fight on your hands.

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

I called it in and already got refunded even though the tracking shows delivered...seller must have been doing a lot of scamming to get my refund like that and so fast.

I did use my Anchor Store CSRs for the call...help may vary

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

Good news, happy for you!

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

According to the posted tracking history, the seller-scammer "shipped" my order 3 days before I even bought the item, what a miracle. I called eBay again and pointed it out to CS to show that it's impossible that seller would have known that I am going to buy something and would know where to ship 3 days in advance of my purchase... They said I should wait till the 19th, another 3 days, they still need to give the seller time to respond again.

I also see now, as another helpful member pointed out below, that the seller has been probably banned and is not a registered user any longer.  I pointed this out to CS and asked her how the seller can even  respond  if they are no longer a user, or why I need to wait 3 days if seller has been banned?

Either way she told me there is nothing that can be done now until the waiting period has passed.

Hopefully by the 19th it gets resolved in my favor.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

We had this problem, too...
In our case it wasn't even our zip code, the last digit was off by one...
So for example if we were in zip code 01234 the tracking used showed delivery to 01235...
And our purchase stated DELIVERED!

What gave it away, the seller did not upload tracking until the very last day when the item had to be delivered before I could open a case of Item Not Received.  Just an hour or so before midnight, boom the tracking appears and shows delivered...

In your case however the seller UID is now NARU, that should allow you to win a case.
If you opened an Item Not Received then you may have to open a case of Item Not as Described.

You see the tracking will invalidate your INR claim, however since you did in fact receive NOTHING that means your Item is not what you ordered: INAD.

Spanking the scammer with their own tricks.

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

@2015_bluesky,

"It looks like in some cases eBay doesn't know how to tell when a tracking number is a good valid one that relates to a specific purchase you made as a buyer at a specific time.

If the seller buys and creates the shipping label on eBay (or I guess paypal) then I would assume eBay does have more knowledge and access to the label details".

eBay and most other 3rd party online retailers use an automated system that searches a tracking number uploaded to their site for a delivery scan. eBay's label printing system now goes through Pitney Bowes, not through PayPal.  They cannot access the rest of the info Address, package size and weight. As a result when an Item Not Received dispute is opened it goes through the automated system which sees the delivery scan and closes the case in the seller's favor.  Considering how many tracking numbers are uploaded to the site daily that is about the best any of the sites can do.

The scammers like UPS and FedEx, because they are very tight lipped about giving out information about packages.  If you call them with a tracking number and give them your address, all they will do is confirm if the label's address matches yours. They will not send a letter, and even if they could send an email ebay will not accept emails as proof of anything.

What you have to do is go to a P.O. UPS or FedEx store with proof of your purchase and shipping address.  If you use a computer you need to print out the Order details and your Purchase history showing the tracking number.  You ask the clerk if that info matches your address and if the package is appropriate size/weight for what you ordered.  They will tell you in general terms if the info matches or not.  You then ask them to write a note on company stationary

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 13 of 42
latest reply

Just happened to me.  Seller provided false tracking number.  UPS confirms it was not addressed to me. Ebay even sent a msg 2 days after alleged delivery date saying item was being mailed via FedEx.  Opened case with Ebay, Ebay decision was that I got the item.

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

oh boy, that's terrible, hopefully you can still fight this, I think you should call eBay and speak with someone on the phone, I do hope it works out, I also hope it doesn't end poorly for me as well... (I am still awaiting the decision). Good luck to you, this stinks to have to worry so much about scammers...

Message 15 of 42
latest reply