cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Golf Cart Scam

Is there a golf cart scam currently?  Offer to have golf cart delivered and 5 days to inspect before money released. Cart for $1000 but retails for $6000. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Golf Cart Scam

Price is too good to be true.   Of course its a scam.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Golf Cart Scam

Price is too good to be true.   Of course its a scam.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the picture show it with the engine and wheels missing and on cinder blocks? If so, definitely a scam 😁

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

I believe that this is a fairly well know scam.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

Beware scammers who advertise on other sites and tell you that the transaction will be handled through eBay.

That is not how eBay works. eBay does not rely on users finding ads on Facebook or other sites and sending contact information to a seller. Likely the seller will send a phony "invoice" that appears to be from eBay but is not, asking you to pay with gift cards to have the vehicle shipped to you for a free evaluation period.

eBay has no warehouse and does not ship vehicles. eBay does not handle such transactions or provide "vehicle protection orders". Scammers often promise those things, though. Any phone number you may receive on such an "invoice" does not connect to eBay, but to the scammer.

Anyone that asks you to purchase gift cards or to send card codes to them to complete a transaction is trying to take advantage of you. Anyone asking for a gift card is looking for a gift at your expense. Once anyone else knows the code, your money will be gone and you will have no recourse.

See here for some info about avoiding such scams:

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes/online-vehicle-sale-fraud

The only way to purchase a vehicle on eBay is to sign in to eBay.com, find the vehicle on eBay and complete the checkout process on eBay. You may have to pay a deposit. Then you typically meet the seller to inspect the vehicle and pay the seller.

If you encountered an ad on another site, contact that site to have the ad removed. eBay is not involved with any ads listed on sites other than eBay itself.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

@frcoo65 

Of course it is a SCAM! Most likely you found the ad for the golf cart on some other website other than Ebay, such as Craigslist or Facebook.

Ebay does not handle transactions for items that are advertised on other websites.

Ebay does not have warehouses.

Ebay does not ship anything, and does not have a 5-day inspection period.

Ebay sellers do not require payment with gift cards.

You are dealing with a criminal that is trying to steal your money. Cease all communication with this thief and report the ad to whatever website you used to find the ad.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

Let's see:

• Golf carts
  • Cars
  • Boats
  • Trailers
  • Skid steers (that used to be a popular one)
  • Anything else of value that you can think of

All scams. How do you know? The most obvious reason is that YOU'RE NOT BUYING IT THROUGH AN EBAY LISTING, which is the ONLY way eBay works.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

@frcoo65 wrote:

Is there a golf cart scam currently?  Offer to have golf cart delivered and 5 days to inspect before money released. Cart for $1000 but retails for $6000. 

If you have to ask I think you already know the answer...

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

ALL you need to know is that eBay has nothing at all to do with items listed for sale on other sites, not eBay.

And that eBay gift cards can ONLY be used to pay for items actually purchased ON eBay with an eBay item #.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

my question is is ebay & ebay motors the same company 

i am being told to buy gift cards and reply back to ebay motors though email with all the gift card info.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

@awil93776 

i am being told to buy gift cards and reply back to ebay motors though email with all the gift card info.

That is the wrong question. You are not dealing with eBay at all, you are dealing with a scammer.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

@awil93776 wrote:

eBay does have a motors department, but that's not who is asking you to purchase gift cards. That's not how eBay works. You are dealing with a scammer who is faking their eBay connection.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

@frcoo65 wrote:

I will take  WAG on this and say it is not listed for sale on eBay: but they say eBay will handle the sale.

Such usually asks for gift cards to pay with.

Of course it is a SCAM, just more SCAM, and not even cooked SCAM man....

That steal of a deal is to steal from YOU.....

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

March 2021 thread

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Golf Cart Scam

Hmm Necros today ehh> will have to watch. thanks...

Message 15 of 16
latest reply