cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gemstones

Out of the 134 items I purchased from this seller, none of them tested as described on certificate of authenticity. That is 0/134 were real gemstones.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Gemstones

Sounds like you found a winner. What country?

So now you get to file 134 NAD cases?

That's pretty much what the feedback suggests, even before yours.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@andda-37 wrote:

Out of the 134 items I purchased from this seller, none of them tested as described on certificate of authenticity. That is 0/134 were real gemstones.

Proving once again that certificates of authenticity are worth less than the paper they're printed on.  Anyone with a computer and printer can make very official-looking COAs for anything, and they do -- for art, coins, dolls, comics, autographs, antiquities, you-name-it.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

That's pretty much what the feedback suggests, even before yours.

And so surprising, that.  I mean, sterling silver and diamonds and emeralds and such for twenty-five bucks or less sounds legit.

🐵

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I am going through the same thing. I bid on like hundreds of gemstones for $.99-2.00 thinking maybe I would get lucky and win 1! I WON THEM ALL! Many haven’t even shipped and it’s been months, and the ones I did get are so obviously fake! The “GIA” “IGL” cards were all very badly faked, plastic folded, off center, misinformation, obvious dyed stones, stones with like food coloring in glass..Etc. It sucks that I lost all that $ cause it adds up fast! Even if you get them for $.99-$1.50 you find yourself winning 100s of auctions! Isn’t anyone at eBay monitoring the certifications? If they are legit or fake companies? Every single one of them were from India! Not to say everyone there is some scam artist, but seriously, EVERY, SINGLE, ONE, FAKE! 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@lvlyribbonz75,

First off you should have posted your own topic, not piggy backed on to a topic posted 5 months ago.

Many haven’t even shipped and it’s been months, and the ones I did get are so obviously fake! The “GIA” “IGL” cards were all very badly faked, plastic folded, off center, misinformation, obvious dyed stones, stones with like food coloring in glass..Etc."

Unfortunately, Gems listed from countries in Asia for very low auction start prices are 99% of the time poor quality synthetics, sometimes glass or plastic.  You are a seller yourself and should know how the Money Back Guarantee (MBG)  works. You need to stay on top of the last estimated delivery times for the items you won, and file disputes when the last day has passed.  Once you've done that ignore messages not sent in the resolution console. 

"I bid on like hundreds of gemstones for $.99-2.00 thinking maybe I would get lucky and win 1! I WON THEM ALL!...".

You should know that each bid you place on an auction remains active even if you are outbid.  That is because a seller could cancel a member's bid(s), or a bidder could retract their bid, leaving you the winner.  Many of the Asian gem sellers use shills to place an early automatic bid hoping others will bid against it. That bid gets retracted just before the auction ends, leaving the second place bidder on the hook to pay for the item(s). 

Lets face it no seller of real gemstones is going to risk selling a real one for the starting price of .99 - $2.00 those willing to sell items for those prices are selling fakes.

Check the feedback profiles of some of the high feedback number sellers you have bought from.  Click on the numbers of neutrals and negatives they've received to read only those comments. Never go by a seller's feedback percentage alone.  ince you also sell you should know that the best high volume sellers will have a feedback percentage of 99.6% or better.  Those with less than a 98.9% rating have serious issues, and should be avoided.

"Every single one of them were from India! Not to say everyone there is some scam artist".

Maybe 5% of the low auction price, Indian, Chinese and Thai sellers are honest.  The rest are crooks if you do not use the tools ebay gives you that have the warnings in them, then you will get burned. If you don't follow the terms of the MBG you are letting them scam you.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Sorry, I am new to the community comments page. I won’t use this anymore. I am too old to figure it out. I thought I was replying to my original post about gemstones. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@lvlyribbonz75,

Please don't give up on using these boards. There's a lot of good advice and help you can get by reading the various topics.  When you get to the Discussion boards and select a board, Buying, Selling, shipping etc. Before you see the first topic there is a blue button Start a Conversation.  

Categories in  the Knowledge Base have an Ask A Question header with a text oval just beneath it.

If you cannot find a reply you wrote or  a topic you started, In the upper right corner you will see your board image. Click on that and select my Profile.  There you can see your posts/topics and replies which you can click on and be directed back to them. 

While you can search out previously written topics replying to ones originally posted months ago, may cause fewer people to respond to your post.  Since your issue is different from the original poster's, starting your own one will usually get you more and better replies.  Sometimes topics posted months ago do not have up to date information, because of the changes ebay makes, that are not always announced. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I intuited your sarcasm font!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Alas!  The quality of gemstones are nearly impossible to judge without expertise in the best of circumstances.  Basing a buying decision on merely a description posted by an online seller is iffy at best.  The best that you can hope for is that you can recover your money under the MBG.  Good luck!

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 11
latest reply