cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback extortion or customer satisfaction?

So I have a question as I find this a difficult topic in which there can be grey areas that I feel lots of website and buyers have opinions on but not much is considered about the whole picture.

So a buyer purchases something - hoping to use it - but they don't read the listing and buy to use the item for a use it isn't intended for...let's say they wanted to use a double bed cover for a king bed. It doesn't fit. You sold it correctly. It was an item with no returns offered. They write to you and say it doesn't fit, and you say I am sorry but why - that is really strange? you learn they pulled out the brand new item and put a double on a king bed duvet. Of course it doesn't fit. You explain, I am sorry but I sold it correctly, you've used it, it was white and in full packaging. I am sorry but I cannot accept it. They say, I'll return it tomorrow and let ebay sort it out.

So you explain that - after speaking to ebay - that buyers cannot just send items back without a resolution to the issue. That they purchased an incorrect item, opened it and used it. They bought a double thinking it would be less expensive, which it is, and you've had to sell your item for less than retail already because its ebay and no one wants to pay the full amount - what am I going to do with it now? It's white and you've used it, torn it open for something it wasn't meant to be used on. 

They write and say - thanks again for your long message. I want to return the item. I said, ok I'll keep it brief. No. I only made it long to explain, again and again, that they used the item for something else...I didn't missell it to them. They put a claim against me in paypal with SNAD, I won it because I did sell it correctly and it was without returns.

So feedback is given - negative of couse - saying unreasonable, unprofessional, unhelpful. I read information about feedback removal and so many say, customer is always right! Do what you need to do to make the customer happy! customer, customer, customer. Ok but is there no room for seller? I mean - is it that sellers must do what the buyer wants - because obviously there was only one answer in the buyer's book as to what was acceptable. If there is only one answer and if not received, bad feedback is given...is that not feedback extortion? You can only supply one answer? The one they want.

There is too much out there about beleagured buyers who can't get justice - but at some point isn't there something that says, someone has the right to say no...politely? And I did. It isn't the answer they want...

There is no answer for the partial refund with a return...if a buyer affects the item, and returns it a seller cannot refund partial. That only happens if the item was damaged by the seller. A customer can have the item and money...the seller cannot. So what choices are made available to a seller who doesn't want their expensive but sold cheaply item returned - used and crumpled?

So at what point does seeking customer service end and extortion begin? At what point does a seller have to provide good service but not when it hemorages themselves? At what point does buyer's rights begin to encroach on a seller? Or is there no story for the seller - only that they MUST provide service to all ends?

It seems that way to me....

and yes, I am anonymously writing. Sorry but I don't want to get into a deabte with my actual account in the midst as this is being reviewed by ebay and whilst you may not want to believe me, I've had no bad feedback, no revisions - only good and excellent in anything I've bought and/or sold. This was awful to receive but I won't allow a buyer to arntwist me into something I didn't do wrong in selling, nor in saying no thank you and explaining. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Feedback extortion or customer satisfaction?

Buying practices policy

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buying-practices.html

Under the  >Abusing the buyer protection program arrow...

Not allowed

Not allowed

• Claiming you haven't received an item before the estimated delivery date has passed

• Claiming you haven't received an item when it has arrived

• Claiming an item isn't as described in the listing when the item condition is consistent with the listing description

If your listing states double size and buyer admits in your communications they bought for a king bed...

1) Report the buyer,

2) Then call ebay CS [have that policy page pulled up when you do] and dispute the neg based upon the above.

"They don't keep me here 'cause I'm GORGEOUS, they keep me here 'cause I'm SMART"...Judge Judy

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

There was no FB extortion if the buyer never mentioned it before leaving it. If they did and you can prove it, the FB is easily removed.

I don't believe that the customer is always right and I'm saying this as a buyer.

As for the FB, if Ebay does not remove it, don't worry about it. FB no longer counts against your seller standards. A whole lot of buyers (we see them here every day) don't even check FB. You also have the option of responding to the FB in a professional manner. One neg is not the end of the world and may show other idiot buyers that you are not going to lay down and be a doormat, 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good! - Ten
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

"The customer is always right" only applies to knowing what they want and need from a purchase. Beyond that, there is no rule. True on eBay, true in life.

This buyer is up to something or expects the seller to take responsibility for a mistake of the buyer.

Disclaimer: Statements may contain satire and sarcasm and should be considered nothing more than an attempt at humor. Any useful information is purely coincidence.
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Thanks for your measured response! sincerely! : )

So if they don't threaten it, it's ok? But isn't the implication through their response, through so much of what's on the internet - that basically paves a way to say..if I don't get what I want, I'll leave back feedback. Isn't the allowance of feedback because you didn't get what you want actually encouraging an unspoken blackmail?

The simple facts in my estimation is, is that I only had one choice of an answer...I made no error, I explained politely. The buyer bought wrong - bought it at half the retail price! - but still gets the last word to ruin my ratings because they weren't allowed to do what they wanted and get it cheap, try it, and send it back. The fact that this sort of feedback is allowed seems to me, to be encouraging a silent threat...if I don't get it, I'll leave feedback and be allowed..because I didn't 'technically' threaten you?

If I go to someone's house or business and bang on their door, is that not the same as if I threaten to do so and then do it? If the police come by and say, well they were unhappy with you but technically they didn't threaten it first, so what can we do really? Is that not encouraging behaviour which ultimately is to persuade, bully or blackmail to get what they want?

There used to be people who'd go around telling businesses that they'd protect them, if they gave them some money. It started out that way with some businesses, eventually they didn't need to say the threat - people knew they had to pay them. One established the rule, the other perpetuated it...neither were honest, legal or right.

That is what I mean - it stops being good customer service when you are persuaded to do as you must, even if it is unspoken, because it has become the accepted norm. If I make a mistake on ebay, I know that I have to fess up and say - I selected wrong, please can you show mercy? Or accept that I messed up when I bought something too big or too small because I didn't read it. I did it once with a light. The picture looked so much bigger, it was a pendent light when I got it, it was miniature! Seriously tiny! I looked and saw that they did put the dimensions on the listing. It was my fault. I decided to re-sell it and recoup my money that way. There are options but you first need to take responsibility for your error, ask - don't accuse  - and understand there is another, legitimate, side. 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

totally agree - they want me to take responsibility for their mistake and clearly, as I didn't, I got bad feedback.

I had her tell me that she is too busy to read! She has a life...really? do I, does anyone by comparison? Are we all allowed to say what's going on in our lives to defend our shortcomings? I've had a serious medical illness - like on the big scale - in the last year and never brought it up to one seller nor buyer, not even to ebay (not about this feedback or ever)...ever in all the months and I've bought lots and sold lots of stuff too (this here is the first on ebay). That isn't to garner sympathy - I wouldn't want it which is why I never did - but to hear someone say they're too busy to read, really gets my goat.  Like it's my fault you are too busy to read my explanation of how this item was correct? Probably too busy to read the listing - I guess. People can't use their busy lives and issues to blame someone else - we've all got it, some maybe more than others - I am sure I am not the only one to have hospital treatments, difficult life choices, busy lives and know what is mine to accept. I can't leave feedback because someone isn't well aware of my busy life and therefore shortcomings, can I?

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Buying practices policy

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buying-practices.html

Under the  >Abusing the buyer protection program arrow...

Not allowed

Not allowed

• Claiming you haven't received an item before the estimated delivery date has passed

• Claiming you haven't received an item when it has arrived

• Claiming an item isn't as described in the listing when the item condition is consistent with the listing description

If your listing states double size and buyer admits in your communications they bought for a king bed...

1) Report the buyer,

2) Then call ebay CS [have that policy page pulled up when you do] and dispute the neg based upon the above.

"They don't keep me here 'cause I'm GORGEOUS, they keep me here 'cause I'm SMART"...Judge Judy

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I have reported this in to ebay. They're looking into it and I may need to fill in more information. Basically they didn't make a case in ebay but said it didn't fit, wanted to return it. They did put a case in paypal with SNAD - which was not accepted by paypal (not sure if they'll accept it as valid proof since it was in paypal). 

But I'll take your advice when i have to submit other information to ebay.

Whether or not ebay will see that their responses all ushed one answer...

...when I explained my response to them, they said 'I am sending it to you tomorrow and I'll let ebay sort it' - so that was threat 1. Then when I said, they can't just send an item and explained again, they said my explanation was too long, so I kept it brief and said - no. They said they didn't have time to read and wanted a return. Then they put a SNAD case in paypal. Lost. Now it's bad feedback.

So it was pretty much accept their terms or .... 

who wouldn't guess that bad feedback was forthcoming?

but does that mean I capitulate to stop it? Does that mean her lack of reading skills leaves me to pick up the slack or else I haven't done my job as a seller?

The ability to give feedback based on experience - and to allow honest experiences - armtwists sellers to accept bad terms, bad behaviour and silent threats until buyers get the response they want.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

This would only apply if the buyer opened a MBG claim. 

ETA: OK looks like the buyer did file with PayPal so report away. Sorry. 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good! - Ten
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I do have it all in writing though that they bought it for a larger item than what it was intended for - that is what I could show paypal - the dialogue on ebay.

The problem was, is that they would not admit it. What I mean by that is, is that they told me it was for the king and I said but this is a double, and they couldn't understand where the issue was. so they admitted it, but without accepting why it was a problem.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

what is a MBG claim? sorry - I don't know all the acronyms! : )

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@biancab1994 wrote:

what is a MBG claim? sorry - I don't know all the acronyms! : )

It means money back guaranteed.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Money Back Guarantee

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@biancab1994 wrote:

totally agree - they want me to take responsibility for their mistake and clearly, as I didn't, I got bad feedback.

I had her tell me that she is too busy to read! She has a life...really? do I, does anyone by comparison? Are we all allowed to say what's going on in our lives to defend our shortcomings? I've had a serious medical illness - like on the big scale - in the last year and never brought it up to one seller nor buyer, not even to ebay (not about this feedback or ever)...ever in all the months and I've bought lots and sold lots of stuff too (this here is the first on ebay). That isn't to garner sympathy - I wouldn't want it which is why I never did - but to hear someone say they're too busy to read, really gets my goat.  Like it's my fault you are too busy to read my explanation of how this item was correct? Probably too busy to read the listing - I guess. People can't use their busy lives and issues to blame someone else - we've all got it, some maybe more than others - I am sure I am not the only one to have hospital treatments, difficult life choices, busy lives and know what is mine to accept. I can't leave feedback because someone isn't well aware of my busy life and therefore shortcomings, can I?

Gee, I wish I was too busy selling to read. What a silly person.

Not excusing stupidity and not trying for sympathy are two traits of someone with self respect.

Best of luck in clearing this mess up and more importantly, your improved health.

P.S. I don't know half of these acronyms either. Would some savvy member write a cheat sheet post for them?

Disclaimer: Statements may contain satire and sarcasm and should be considered nothing more than an attempt at humor. Any useful information is purely coincidence.
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

"Too busy to read" means NO return or refund.  It is up to the buyer to read the listing in full.  If her "too busy" statement is on your correspondence through ebay messages, then ebay should side with you. I just dont' get why some people would NOT read an entire listing before buying?!!!

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@thebluejewel wrote:

"Too busy to read" means NO return or refund.  It is up to the buyer to read the listing in full.  If her "too busy" statement is on your correspondence through ebay messages, then ebay should side with you. I just dont' get why some people would NOT read an entire listing before buying?!!!

With today's hectic, on the go, fast paced and "everything about me is important" lifestyles, reading only slows them down and takes away from necessary "texting" and Facebook time.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply