cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake US Coins from China

I have started to notice some Sellers from China selling fake US coins. Now, they clearly tell you that they are plated reproductions so they, at least, are not trying to pass them off as original although, I'm sure that there are some that do. The Hobby Protection Act requires that ANY reproduction US coins sold to US Buyers be clearly marked "COPY", which these are not. I reported one of these to ebay a couple of weeks ago but, noticed that the same Seller is still selling the same item. The Act states: "Any person engaged in the manufacturing, or importation into the United States for introduction into or distribution in commerce, of imitation political or imitation numismatic items shall be subject to the requirements of the Act and the regulations promulgated thereunder. Any person engaged in the sale in commerce of imitation numismatic items shall be subject to the requirements of the Act and the regulations promulgated thereunder. It shall be a violation of the Act and the regulations promulgated thereunder for a person to provide substantial assistance or support to any manufacturer, importer, or seller of imitation numismatic items, or to any manufacturer or importer of imitation political items, if that person knows or should have known that the manufacturer, importer, or seller is engaged in any practice that violates the Act and the regulations promulgated thereunder." Providing a marketplace for these items could certainly be seen as "providing substantial assistance". Ebay could be on the hook if this continues. I hope that they will take action on their own. I guess, if it continues, I will have to start reporting this stuff to the FTC and let them deal with it.
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Fake US Coins from China

@mopata,

Maybe when you report the next listing you should add a link to the Hobby Protection Act.  I have a feeling that somewhere in the user agreement, ebay's legal team may have addressed the issue though.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Fake US Coins from China

I did but, ebay seems to get more worked up over a violation of one of their Byzantine rules than actual violations of the law.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply