cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay scam

I bought a model kit from a sellar with low feedback. I took the risk and hoped for the best. I got notification it has shipped but when I checked it said a label had been created but not actually shipped. That was days ago. I contacted him to see when it will ship, no reply. Have I been scammed and can I get my money back? Do I have to wait until delivery date has come and gone? 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Ebay scam

Short answer is yes, you have to wait until the day after the last estimated delivery date to open a case. It's not unusual at all for USPS to miss scans, so you don't know for sure it hasn't been shipped until after that date.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

Thank you. I just have a feeling..hopefully I’m wrong..🤞🏻

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

If they are a fairly new seller, Ebay will hold their funds and some don't like to ship until they actually receive the money.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

maybe...they were very quick to answer my questions before...now gone silent...

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

@harrylimeart,

According to your feedback profile, you are registered in Ireland and if your item is coming from another country, it may have an AN Post tracking number, that will not update, until the item arrives in your country, passes through customs and is handed off to the domestic carrier for final delivery.  Then there is nothing you can do until the last estimated delivery date has passed.

Have you checked the seller's feedback profile yet to see if they have just started selling or have no feedback for selling in over a year?

If you check that and find either to be the case, then it is likely what kensgiftshop wrote, is why the seller has not shipped your item.  eBay places a 21-30 day hold on new and returning sellers first few listings.  Many do not know about the hold, and do not ship items, because your payment status on their account shows Pending, so they do not think the payment has cleared. Some may take  questions about shipping, as an attempt to scam them some how, because of the payment status.

If you find the above to be the case, and want the kit.  Try messaging the seller again and tell them to do a Google search for "Payments on hold, ebay". and to open the 2nd article with "export.ebay...." in the site address.  It gives sellers more info about the hold and how to deal with it, than the basic first article.  If they read that, they will probably ship your item in the next day or so. Even if your seller is not located in Ireland or the U.K. the info in that link should give your seller the information they need to complete the transaction.

You may want to double check what I wrote on your home site's community,  either (ebay.ie) Ireland or (ebay.co.uk) U.K. there may be some differences about how sellers deal with the hold.

Because new or returning sellers, may have a fair number of feedback, and a 100% rating, those could all be for buying not selling, at least in the last 12 months.  That is just one reason why you should check the feedback profile of each seller you intend to buy from, no matter what their percentage is.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

Hi I appreciate your advice. But it doesn't look good that they have stopped answering my messages. They have feedback, positive but very low. If they are waiting for payment to clear...why not tell me that? 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

this is the tracking i received. I'm in Ireland and it says Destination United States? Any idea?

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 16.54.22.png

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

The recent message from him below. So has the parcel gone to Philly and then will be sent to me in Ireland? I'm confused...

It's probably because I wasn't able to print the shipping label, though I ended up paying for it through ebay. I don't have a photo, when I shipped it on thursday, my phone was in my partner's car and I got in just before the post office closed. I had to write my info and your info from the shipping label on the box with a black marker. The address was a PO box in Philadelphia which I thought was weird, unless that's the one you're using? If something happened on my end, you will indeed get your money back, I have no intention of robbing you. It was the address on the ebay shipping label. I was under the impression it was going there and then to Ireland. Again, I thought it was weird at the time. If it gets sent back I can check the post office again and send it to the right address. If you want to get your money back, that's fine too and I understand.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

@harrylimeart 

Did you use a freight forwarder, possibly out of Philadelphia?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

I didn't use anything. I just paid with Paypal as usual and provided my Ireland address. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

@harrylimeart wrote:

this is the tracking i received. I'm in Ireland and it says Destination United States? Any idea?

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 16.54.22.png

Yes, it seems your seller was tricked. Another eBay account contacted your seller, and provided that PO Box address in Philly saying to ship there instead. Your seller didn't know it wasn't you, and believed that person.

Now that it's been stolen, you'll have to start an item not received refund request (on your Purchases page, click More action > I don't get any) then contact eBay here with a private message to make clear it was delivered to the wrong address that's in fact in another country, and get your refund.

Your seller will have lost both the item, and your payment.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

So its not a case that its gone to philly and will then be sent to Ireland? 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

He said address on label was:  E INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY CS/PO BOX# 71364 PHILADELPHIA PA 19176-1364

So does that not mean its final destination is Ireland? Why would it say International Delivery otherwise?

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Ebay scam

@harrylimeart wrote:

He said address on label was:  E INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY CS/PO BOX# 71364 PHILADELPHIA PA 19176-1364

So does that not mean its final destination is Ireland? Why would it say International Delivery otherwise? 

Then it wasn't a scam, and DHL would be able to reship your item to you if your seller copied the entire address including the "REF number" from the shipping label. Otherwise, it will be returned to the seller.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply