cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay recommended a scam and now won't refund me. Out several $100s and ebay will do nothing.

Bought a couple card box on a presale from a highly rated and EBAY RECOMMENDED SELLER.

Months later on box release I receive nothing and report it to ebay. Ebay tells me they will do nothing and don't care.

Only made the purchase because of ebays recommendation and now I'm out nearly $1000Cad and ebay won't do anything at all.

**bleep** is the point of this site if they're going to recommend a scammer then do nothing about it? Seriously. EBay go **bleep** yourself.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Ebay recommended a scam and now won't refund me. Out several $100s and ebay will do nothing.

The guy scammed hundreds of people for thousands of dollars based on all the recent reveiws and I guess EBAy is **bleep** all of us over.

They will do absolutely nothing but 'report the seller'.. Useless **bleep**s. They put us in this situation.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Re: Ebay recommended a scam and now won't refund me. Out several $100s and ebay will do nothing.

Buying presale products that will not be released and shipped within 30 days is high risk behavior, that experienced Ebay buyers would never consider.

You participated in your fleecing by not filing a claim when you did not receive the product within the 30 day Money Back Guarantee period.

When I was much younger, such transactions were called "sucker bets".

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

eBay's presale policy is here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/presale-listings-policy?id=4252

Sellers of presale items are required to provide the exact date the item becomes available in the listing and are also required to ship within 40 business days of the sale. But users must know about the policy in order to use the Money Back Guarantee in the time allowed.

On eBay, buyers have up to thirty days from the last estimated shipping date shown in the Purchase History to file a case. After that, eBay can no longer help.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

PayPal and most credit cards provide some protection for up to 180 days from the time of purchase. Check with your card issuer to see if you have any options remaining.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Hard to file a claim you haven't received an item when the item won't be released for another 45 days after this period.

Perhaps ebay shouldn't go around recommnending purchases and sellers (as they did here) when they aren't actually covering anything.

This purchase was only made because of the big "ebay reccommended seller". Ebay **bleep**ed me over just as much as the actual scammer.

I've been buying items on ebay for 5 years and have hundreds of purchases. I'm hardly some rookie ebayer and this is hardly some obvious scam. This is EBay's doing.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Perhaps ebay shouldn't go around recommending people make specific purchases from specific buyers (which they did here) when they aren't covering them then?

Like how are buyers supposed to know that the purchase EBAY literally recommended they make is both a scam AND that ebay won't cover the purchase they themselves pushed buyers to make.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Sorry this has happened to you.

Not on the note of presales, but...

If it's this that you saw: 

Top-rated seller:
-One of eBay's most reputable sellers

-Consistently delivers outstanding customer service

Some of the worst sellers I've purchased from have that - I am not sure what the requirements are, but I've seen (in the categories I've purchased in, at least) sellers with 98.2%, 98.4% positive feedback have that designation. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

EBay has a strong Buyer Protection policy called the Money Back Guarantee.

But

It is only good for 30 days from the last estimated date of delivery.

If you were conned into waiting past then, eBay will not help you.

But

If you paid using Paypal, you have up to 180 days from Payment to start a claim under their Buyer Protection program.

If you were conned into waiting past then, PP will not help you.

But

If you used your credit card directly, you can file a chargeback.

Most cards allow at least 120 days from payment for this, some 180 and I believe AmEx is a full year.

If you were conned into missing your card's deadline, your bank will not help you.

You say you "reported" this to eBay.

Did you actually file an Item Not Received claim?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@duncan-7843 

If you paid via PayPal, go there to file. If you paid by credit card, go there. 

eBay’s Money Back Guarantee is only for 30 days. When a buyer commits to a purchase beyond those 30 days, they must pay with a method that allows further purchase protection. Such as paying through PayPal and using a credit card to fund the payment. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Ya I'm going through my credit card but to me this is still a problem and an issue that EBAY is responsible for and needs to do something about.

The issue isn't so much that scammers exist, it's that ebay is enabling and helping them while doing nothing to fix the problem they are creating.

I shouldn't have had to spend a week trying to get help from ebay only to have to spend half my friday on the phone with Visa repeating everything that ebay did in order to get my money back.

It's not like this was a complicated situation. An obvious scammer ghosted a bunch of people and never sent anything. If ebay won't do anything about that when they themselves recommended this seller to people then why would I ever continue using this site?

They didn't have any disclaimer pointing out the presales aren't covered, that just magically shows up later on when you realize your order didn't arrive and its too late.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Yes it was reported. Yes I actually filed a Item not received claim.

I'm here because ebay did literally nothing except close my case immediately and tell me they won't help and aren't going to do anything.

I was conned by ebay.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@duncan-7843 wrote:

Ya I'm going through my credit card but to me this is still a problem and an issue that EBAY is responsible for and needs to do something about.

The issue isn't so much that scammers exist, it's that ebay is enabling and helping them while doing nothing to fix the problem they are creating.

I shouldn't have had to spend a week trying to get help from ebay only to have to spend half my friday on the phone with Visa repeating everything that ebay did in order to get my money back.

It's not like this was a complicated situation. An obvious scammer ghosted a bunch of people and never sent anything. If ebay won't do anything about that when they themselves recommended this seller to people then why would I ever continue using this site?

They didn't have any disclaimer pointing out the presales aren't covered, that just magically shows up later on when you realize your order didn't arrive and its too late.

Presells are covered by the MBG, but you have to use it within 30 days of the estimated delivery date.

Once the MBG expires, they will do nothing to help.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

You don't need to call your credit card. You can make a dispute online with your debit or credit card. Don't do the dispute and don't go into too much detail. Calling on the phone will take a while since the credit card company has to transfer you to another department. And you might have to wait until they answer the phone and they ask like so many questions when your on the phone. Best to do it online.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Here's one that's 96.9% rating for a TRS seller on an item I was viewing today. I hit the back button after reading the negs, but ebay still calls the "most reputable". I think it's all about the money, not the actual sellers reputation.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 13-44-05 Feedback Profile.png

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

96.9% is  poor, but ratios come into play as well.

A seller with 100 FB and 4 negs is terrible.

A Seller with 1000 FB and 4 negs will have a 99% rating (at worst) and is very good.

A seller with 10,000 FB and 4negs (or 40 negs) is excellent, because stuff does happen and because some people cannot be satisfied.

The point most posters have been making is that presales are always questionable, and presales that will not be completed until after the expiry of the MBG are downright dangerous.

No one is disagreeing that eBay's bots should be programmed to reject such long tail transactions.

But the buyer should also be taking responsibility for gambling that the transaction will be completed.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply