cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay motors is awful user interface-wise

So I am looking for a 2013 Subaru Outback with a manual transmission.

A search for it is impossible in Ebay, because only the parts come up. Headlights and junk.

If I go to Ebay motors, I have to specify the year range, 2013-2013 does not produce one Outback. It's downright impossible that there are no 2013 outbacks for sale in the entire country.  It's not that rare and local CL and FB Marketplace has a lot of 2013 Outbacks.

But I  specifically want one with a 6-speed and there is no way to enter the manual transmission spec in the limited search field.

Or could it be that Ebay motors dropped in popularity so much that nobody lists there anymore (vs CL/FB)? Could it be the fees, hm, I wonder why.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Ebay motors is awful user interface-wise

Did you try searching be highest price first?  That will screen out the parts as least.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

There may just not be any currently listed on eBay for sale.

I tried a search for a 2012-2014 Subaru Outback on this page using the "Find Vehicles" tool, and turned up a few 2012 and some 2014 models, but nothing for 2013. All were listed as automatic.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks/6001/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2013+Subaru+Outback&rt=nc&_fsrp=1&UF...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

So the problem is two-fold, one few cars listed, versus other sites, and even if the adequate amount was listed, it would be difficult to navigate since motors can't use additional search parameters.

Ebay motors is useless. Low participation and poor UI.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

A nice 2013 6M just sold here on 3/21/2024. I know there are issues  If you enter a year, it searches parts instead of cars. I suggest a saved search of "Subaru Outback manual". Forget the year. And be patient.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@paradigm0,

The reply by @stevescho  is a good one.  There are times when a more general search term will get you better results.  I don't know much about Subaru's, but I am willing to bet that they, like other Mfrs. will run a specific model of car for a few years running, without any major changes. So by adding a specific year to your search, you are cutting down on possible acceptable results.

You should also realize that only a very few cars with manual transmissions are sold in the U.S. when new. Those were usually not kept in dealer stock and had to be ordered.  In the early teens only a little over 2% of ALL new vehicles sold in the U.S. had manual transmissions. Last year only 1.7% of cars sold had them and that was an increase from 0.7% in 2022. So casting a bit larger model year net, might get you better results, no matter what site you search on.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

It does pull 2 cars.
In the past, anytime I did a search for a vehicle, it always went into parts. I always had to go to the "motors" and use their restrictive interface.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yeah, at this time it's a funky interface matter. I found the glitch (year causes parts search) by doing the same thing you were trying, that is, manual transmission vehicle searches.  eBay does pull in some inventory not found elsewhere, and the saved search notification method helps for a scarce listing. Be mindful that manual tranny's are durable but can get messed up by abuse. That's all I will say.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply