cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Overcharging Tax For State of MO

I live in MO and I know the tax rate that my state requires for "marketplace facilitators" like Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, etc... While Amazon and Etsy know to charge the right tax rate of 4.225% Ebay visibly has no clue about it and is charging 6.74% on every purchase done with an "out of state" seller.

I have reported the problem since the beginning of January. Each time, a customer agent said they were contacting the right department by email to let them aware  of the problem. They all added  that they will fix it and refund me the amount of overcharged tax.

But here we are Feb 15th and nothing has been done. I called again and another agent assured me that she was sending an email with all the details and that the tax rate will be corrected on the website. Thing is they all said that but she couldn't see any record of it!

It is outrageous to see that Ebay is carelessly using the wrong tax rate and therefore pocketing the difference and being dishonest.  On the other hand, Amazon and Etsy are both charging the right tax rate!

For more than 6 years, I have ordered a lot on Ebay, but as they are now using the wrong tax rate, I'm going out of my way to buy elsewhere.

Though Ebay doesn't show the tax % it is easy to pull it out from the tax amount. Have you noticed the same thing in the state you are living? 

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Ebay Overcharging Tax For State of MO

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 46 of 47
latest reply

Re: Ebay Overcharging Tax For State of MO

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 47 of 47
latest reply