cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

IT IS A FACT...eBay PROTECT scammers. eBay's T's & C's are DESIGNED to PREVENT you,me...US from making public, a scammers ID, under the "Name and Shame" rule.

A dishonest seller can set-up a couple of accounts, more I guess. A seller can THEN sell...Laptops? TO HIMSELF if he gets greedy, and he can do this, in part, because eBay will CHANGE his ID when he BIDS "to protect the bidders ID".

OK, so eBay change his ID...so we don't see, say (Oh, and this IS a made-up name you understand, so no "name and shame" issues) muppets-are-us, bidding on the auction of ? now LET me see??.. YES, I got it...how about "muppets-are-us? Ummm, a bit obvious?, well what if we CHANGE the ID of the "bidder", to (protect his identity, obviously. Nothing? underhand...Honest) Change it to  a***t , as eBay will alway's replace the true ID with a 5 character one.

It wouldn't be obvious what he is doing...to US, but eBay would see it for what it is, and what does eBay do about it?...OH well THAT'S simple. They BILL the seller a HIGHER FVF

Do YOU think you've spotted a scammer? a "bidder ID" that crops up in a certain sellers auctions time and time AND time again?, well, here's a tip...look at the FEEDBACK score, cos eBay will change the sellers ID, but the FEEDBACK score stays the same, so for example

muppets-are-us (107) &  a***t (107), get it?. And when muppets-are-us gets feedback, so goes to (108), check-out a***t, and see if it has ALSO gone up 1...SIMPLES, YES.

Smiley Wink

ALL THE BEST

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

I don't think anybody was seriously trying to say  the seller...ie  "imascammer" would bid on his own auction, as  "imascammer", OR with the 5 character ID ebay will replace imascammer with.

Remember, the scammer was said to have  2 ID's  ie "imascammer" & "iconu", so could bid on each OTHERS auctions.

Woman Tongue 

Here to learn

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

Actually, the prohibition on naming & shaming is probably what keeps a lot of people from engaging in potentially libelous activity which could have huge legal and financial consequences for those that accuse others of illegal activity without evidence that would hold up in a court of law.  It isn't prudent to be too reckless in one's accusations in any published media such as this forum.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 32 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

Fine, we can't name and shame...on THIS site, but we can give a full "account" (see what I did their?) on other Social Media sites, but I don't think I could name them...could I?. I think I'm prevented from  pointing you to ANY off site location (outside the control of ebay) that would let us go into details, am I not?

Smiley Frustrated

Ah yes, I can picture it now...can you?. If only I could name the scammer, give you both  "seller" ID's, and the 3rd bidder ID who is able to bid on the auctions of BOTH "sellers", you would then see for yourself, but sadly "rules are rules., and,after all they ARE in place to protect...somebody?

Woman Happy

Here to learn

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

@gsh29georgina wrote:

Fine, we can't name and shame...on THIS site, but we can give a full "account" (see what I did their?) on other Social Media sites, but I don't think I could name them...could I?. I think I'm prevented from  pointing you to ANY off site location (outside the control of ebay) that would let us go into details, am I not?

Smiley Frustrated

Ah yes, I can picture it now...can you?. If only I could name the scammer, give you both  "seller" ID's, and the 3rd bidder ID who is able to bid on the auctions of BOTH "sellers", you would then see for yourself, but sadly "rules are rules., and,after all they ARE in place to protect...somebody?

Woman Happy

Here to learn

The laws relating to libel are not restricted to this site alone.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 34 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

@gsh29georgina wrote:

?
1 ID from home, the 2 ID from say...the MALL (with a Tablet, Phone OR Laptop...take your pick) over a coffee should do it.

Here to learn

Woman Wink

Go ahead and list an item with your computer, then go log in from a coffee shop using their ISP and your phone/tablet.  If you have used that device before at home to connect to your account, it could be picked up via the network the cell/tablet is connected through.

Even if you create a new ID using the phone and a different ISP the ID also requires financial info before you can bid/buy, if any of it matches your current ID, you will be asked to provide another payment method, and at that time the ID may be flagged as being connected to your curent account.

If you connect the ID to your current PayPal you can't bid on your item, and the new ISP is recorded on both IDs. 

Open a new PayPal from the shop ISP with different banking info and even then you will have bidding restrictions. Makes it hard to be a shill until you make several Buy It Now transactions. 

As i said it can be done, but it ain't easy. Then make one mistake and log into to the 1st ID, from the remote ISP and your accounts will be linked, you may end up wih sanctions or worse, you may end up getting a visit from the police. 

Beyond all the techinical issues, a shill has to be readily available to react to bids. Runing to the mall or coffee shop is time consuming. Even if acting as a shill you were to place an automatic bid for others to bid against. You could end up with one of those bidders who uncovers your max, then retracts, if it is more than they want to pay.  Now your the winner. 

Now try all of the above and try and keep track of several items you want to shill.  Unless the amounts involved are high, it could be a lot of work, for very little return, and still the risk of running afoul of the law.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 35 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

Ah, how kind of you to worry about my legal position, but I must say you do seem to be a little over defensive? of, what IS in effect a scumbag.
yer LIVE n LEARN
🙂
Message 36 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

"I don't normally have the attention span to get through evidence, this seems like just that and you've done your homework.

Ain't THAT the truth Woman Very Happy

Sometimes, facts can come across as SERIOUSLY dull, I agree.

I have followed this topic, and I've had access to the seller ID's in question, ALL 3 of them/him Smiley Very Happy

Since ALL 3 "sellers" are now selling via PRIVATE auctions (Laptops in private auctions?, God bless ebay, eh....TRUly a SCAMMERS paradise..) it's not been possible to record/check the bidders details, but this does make for 1 interesting point...

You can NOW (as I have done)  call eBay CS, and TELL them the names of the 2 MAIN bidders who you believe/expect will be bidding ( call them up, give em an item number, and then give em the encrypted ID of BOTH key bidders, along with the TRUE ID names of both, who are taking part in the auctions, and I can do this for ALL 3 "sellers", and you can only do this IF you have CORRECTLY identified the encrypted ID of all 3 Woman Wink

Here to help, here to learn

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

@mudshark61369 wrote:

If you connect the ID to your current PayPal you can't bid on your item, and the new ISP is recorded on both IDs. 

It would be cool if you would stop saying "ISP" (Internet Service Provider) when you actually mean "IP" (Internet Protocol address).

And just in case anyone stumbles across this thread and reads it from the beginning, the OP really doesn't have much of a clue, which should be pretty obvious since it's impossible for a seller to bid on one of their own items using the account that created the auction. eBay doesn't even show a "Bid" button when the seller looks at his own auctions.

Two accounts cross-bidding? Yes, but it would be a bit challenging to avoid cross-contamination of IP addresses, etc.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

EBAY PROTECTS SCAMMERS

Oh, it would be "cool" would it? ISP/IP Address? BORing.
You are funny, OK...why don't we forget about scammers, eh?,. It's OBVIOUSLY all just a misunderstanding. Would that make you feel better?..."Cross-Contamination" ? 🙂 NEXT thing, will be you telling me/us
" And I think PRIVATE LISTINGS are a GOOD thing for buyers, and we should be able to put ANYthing up for auction in them" Ever considered a shot at STAND-UP COMEDY?
Message 39 of 39
latest reply