cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop shipments from Amazon and Walmart

In the past month I have received three items that have been drop shipped from Amazon or Walmart.  If I had wanted to shop Amazon or Walmart I would have bought from them.  For political reasons I am willing to pay more for an item, I am not willing to pay 30% more for a dealer to buy from those stores.  I thought it was against eBay's policy to drop ship items.  Before I purchase an item on eBay, should I request from the seller proof that the item will not be drop shipped from those two stores or should I refrain from eBay purchases?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

About “drop shipping “ it depends but most of the time it is not ok.

You can leave factual FB on the item. Maybe a neutral FB, like,. item great, don’t appreciate drop ship from Walmart.

Also you can report the seller (most of the time) to eBay for drop shipping.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@north40 wrote:

In the past month I have received three items that have been drop shipped from Amazon or Walmart.  If I had wanted to shop Amazon or Walmart I would have bought from them.  For political reasons I am willing to pay more for an item, I am not willing to pay 30% more for a dealer to buy from those stores.  I thought it was against eBay's policy to drop ship items.  Before I purchase an item on eBay, should I request from the seller proof that the item will not be drop shipped from those two stores or should I refrain from eBay purchases?

@north40  Sellers are not supposed to dropship from another retailer but unfortunately, it does happen.

Sellers are allowed to use fulfilled by Amazon, which means that they own the inventory that is stored in Amazon's warehouse.

Sellers are only supposed to dropship from wholesale suppliers.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/drop-shipping?id=4176&st=1...

I would use the report seller form:  violated one of ebays policies> other> then say drop shipping from a retail site in the box.

https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicid=4022

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

'About “drop shipping “ it depends but most of the time it is not ok.

You can leave factual FB on the item. Maybe a neutral FB, like,. item great, don’t appreciate drop ship from Walmart.

Also you can report the seller (most of the time) to eBay for drop shipping.'

Thats very unfair, drop shipping is allowed on Ebay.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Drop shipping is allowed on eBay. Not sure where the impression that it is not allowed comes from. Lots of sellers are actually drop shippers.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@gpsworld1 wrote:

Drop shipping is allowed on eBay. Not sure where the impression that it is not allowed comes from. Lots of sellers are actually drop shippers.

It depends on the type of drop shipping, and what OP experienced would appear to be in violation of eBay policy.

"... Drop shipping, where you fulfill orders directly from a wholesale supplier, is allowed on eBay... 

"However, listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay..."  

Full policy here:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/drop-shipping?id=4176

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If your going to drop ship then say so...my issue is they list the item  coming  from  their home town  then its dropped ship from some place like Amazon that's thousands miles away in a different state.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

If I'm looking for a new item on eBay, I will do a web search on the item title. Seems most drop shippers use all or part of Amazon's title. That way I find out pretty quickly if the are drop shipping. Then I usually buy it on Amazon, free shipping, better returns and lower price.

Totally turns me off from buying anything on eBay anymore when I have to wade through pages of drop shipped items or Chinese sellers claiming to be shipping from the US.

There are multiple apps out there that do nothing but automate the process of scrapping product listings from Amazon, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc., posting them for sale on eBay at a higher price, then placing the order on the other retail site once it sells.

Some of them are super easy to find too.  One of those apps appears to supply their users with a stock template which shows a copyright with the app name at the bottom.  Since it's in the description, all you have to do is do an advanced search in eBay for the name of the app and you'll find over a million results.

I can't "name and shame" here of course, but trust me, eBay is well aware of that app (and others) and could easily do that search and remove those listings/sellers just as a place to start.

It's a massive problem that eBay does not seem motivated to take action against, despite what their stated policy pages say.  I suspect eBay is far more concerned with GMV as well as active buyers/sellers/listings numbers and the impact those have on stock prices and investor relations than they are with the actual buyer experience that results from allowing their site to be flooded with these listings.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Receiving a package from Walmart is not allowed.

Receiving a package from Amazon is allowed unless the packing slip indicated it was  GIFT.  

If a seller uses Amazon Fulfillment  you're more than likely getting it shipped cheaper than the seller who uses eBay labels to ship. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You probably would have gotten a better price shopping those sites....

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

"If your going to drop ship then say so"

You're going to have to get  eBay to enforce the Item Location section first. Doubt they care unless there are lots of complaints.

(I'm not a drop-shipper)

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I don’t like it either … I don’t like Walmart and I hate the way they treat their employees and don’t want them Getting my business . I may stop dealing with eBay. Seems like sellers here just buy stuff from Walmart and ship it to you …  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply