cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I Still Enjoy Buyer Protection for International Package?

I purchase something worth about $200 from a seller with a location listed as Ohio US, however when the tracking number show up it was sent from Canada. I really don't like the fact that the actual item location was misrepresented. For an international shipment like this with a US location on the listing page, do I still have the regular Buyer Protection from eBay?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Do I Still Enjoy Buyer Protection for International Package?

International shipping is extremely dangerous on eBay.

You can open an item not described case on this item for any reason whatsoever (my child was a bad boy so I am returning it) and the seller will be forced to provide a return label back to Canada. It might be cheaper for them to just let you keep it. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I just read this through eBay policy

In some instances, we may not require that an item be returned to the seller. In these situations, we refund the buyer and may seek reimbursement from the seller, for example if:

• The seller chooses not to accept a return request when they offered returns in the listing
  • The return request was opened because the item was not as described
  • The seller did not provide a return shipping label or funds for the buyer to return the item
  • The item location was misrepresented
  • It's hazardous to ship back the item
  • The item no longer has a value (for instance, a ticket for a cancelled event)

This is a typical case of the item location was misrepresented I am guessing. If the item I received is not as described, I should be still protected? 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The Money Back Guarantee works no matter where the seller and the buyer are.

The only problems arise when a Buyer is using a freight forwarder to send the purchase overseas. In that case the MBG ends when the purchase is accepted by the forwarder.  This is not a problem for the Seller but for the Buyer. this does not apply in your situation.

Many Canadians who are near the border (which is actually most of us) either run their shipments across to use the much cheaper USPS rates or hire a service to do it for them.

I had to look at a map to see where Ohio is. It shares a border with Ontario so that may be what your seller is doing.

The seller is taking a chance that you will get the item promptly and not complain about the ambiguous location.  If you do, she is allowed to demand the return of the item before refunding, with tracking. Then eBay decides who pays for the return shipping.
International tracked shipping is very expensive.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

You don't have to worry about duty. US residents have an $800 duty-free allowance. State sales tax is applied by eBay no matter where the seller mails from as part of the selling price.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the reply, however I don't believe what you described is the case here. I purchased an item from a US seller assumedly. It turned out he/she is not, which as you said, make it very hard for me to return an item should I have the problem with it because of the return shipping cost.

You are saying a Canadian seller ships items from US to save time and money, I am saying a Canadian seller claims to be US seller (yes, registered with eBay as 100% US seller) but ship from Canada. This seller claims item location in Van Wert OH, 718 miles south of Ontario Canada, I doubt he/she's trying to save money on shipping. The misrepresentation of location immediately alarmed me because the item I purchased is $200 worth of jewelry made of precious metal. Since the package has not been in USPS system, I asked for my money back and seller refused.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

She can refuse a return but she cannot refuse a refund.

You will have to wait until the purchase arrives. Then if you don't want it or if it is not as advertised, you open a Not As Described dispute  in the Resolution Centre.

The first suggestion is that you contact the seller. It is only a suggestion and in any case you have been in touch, so you can ignore that.

Ask eBay to step in, still in the Dispute,  and escalate to a Claim.

The seller will (probably) be required to send you return shipping. She can do that using Shippo which is the shipping service eBay Canada defaults to, so that is easy. And she pays for that, something we Canadian sellers are used to, although we don't like it.

I'm assuming that your Claim would be Not As Described based on the address*, so don't open the package, just put a fresh wrapper over hers and send it back.

This is one way of showing that the contents have not been tampered with.

When the return tracking shows it is back with her, you will be refunded. If she doesn't refund herself and promptly, eBay will refund you and go after her for their money.

You can then leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

"Claimed to ship from OH actually shipped from Canada" would be reasonable.

This will cost you a little time but the process is quite smooth.

You are also covered by Paypal but PP insists that the buyer pay for return shipping.

You are also covered by the credit card you backed the PP payment with. Card policies on chargebacks differ.

* If you open it, the Claim becomes Buyer Remorse and you will be required to pay for the return shipping, probably.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thank you. I don't want to open any case should the item arrives as advertised. I have no reason to send anything back just for the address, although you might have made a good point of not opening the package. Just the inconsistency of item locations make the whole thing doubtful.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I am wondering if the seller is actually a drop shipper. If he or she is, then you placed the order with that person and they ordered from someone in Canada and have the item sent directly to you.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Even he/she is a drop shipper, he/she should have stated the item location is Ontario CA.

Per eBay policy

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/item-location-misrepresentation-policy?id=4244

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Is there anything in the seller’s recent feedback that suggests that they routinely ship from Canada?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

He/she has 0 feedback, otherwise I would not be this nervous. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Is or was the seller selling anything else?  If so, are the listings for similar merchandise?

How long ago did the seller register this ID on eBay?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Yes, he/she's also selling other item in the jewelry category. The seller registered in March 2020 in US. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I hadn't thought of dropshipping, since most dropshippers have suppliers in Asia.

It is very common for a new seller, especially dropshippers who tend to be naive and a bit lazy, to put their own address down as location rather than the location of the item, which is how it is supposed to be done.
Given the high cost of Canada Post international shipping (the lowest price is $14.42 tracked to the USA for 100 gr /2 oz) shipping would be a very substantial part of the seller's costs.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Unfortunately, some don't. I purchased an item for my husband coming from California. It was shipped from China. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply