cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Buyer Limits: happens again = acct closed

My ebay account has been open since 2005. I have made hundreds of purchases and sold hundreds of items on ebay. I have 420 seller reviews and 100% positive feedback over the last year. I have a paypal and two credit cards linked to my account. I have no items in my cart. Despite this, I am CONSTANTLY getting,

"To ensure that eBay remains a safe marketplace to accept payments, limits are being placed on accounts based on reviews. These limits may change over time and are determined by your previous site activity and overall performance. This action was taken by eBay, and not by your seller.

This buying limit is temporary. You can come back soon and buy more items.{e138734-1170413x}"

I've called ebay support over this multiple times and it keeps happening anyways and no one can tell me why. I've missed multiple auctions for rare items that will be hard to find for sale again, as a result of this.

The next time this happens, I am closing my account. eBay has gotten worse and worse over the years. My account is 17 years old, but eBay is just no longer a use-able webpage. The seller fees in 2022 barely make it worth selling here anymore, also, what with so many other options, such as OfferUp, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc., why keep trying to use this broken fee soaked website?

ebay has let me down and support will not help me. Shame on ebay for treating their customers so poorly. I have zero faith in ebay anymore.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Constant Buyer Limits: happens again = acct closed

@friendly_lamar,

Without more information we can't say why you have a limit on your account.  My best guess is that you somehow fell under one of the two reasons below, that are in the Buyer limit information.

• You've suddenly and significantly increased your bidding or buying activity.

If the average price of items you buy is say under $100, and you suddenly start bidding on high end items, ebay may be limiting you for fear, your account has been hacked.

• You're the highest bidder on a number of auctions, but haven't paid for any items yet.

If the price on the items you were bidding on got high, and the auctions were happening in the same week, possibly even with the same seller that could have triggered the limit.  Did you get a "you need to pay" notice, for any of the auctions? 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

No, there is nothing I "need to pay" for. And as for, "You've suddenly and significantly increased your bidding or buying activity," it happens maybe 50% of the time I try to buy, nowadays. My account is in very good standing, as mentioned in OP post, too. It's like eBay doesn't want me to buy anything on their site.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@friendly_lamar,

eBay's phone and chat reps are not trained to deal with account problems. What you might try is to contact ebay through their Facebook or  Twitter pages.   The reps there can check you account and possible explain why the limit was applied, or maybe get it lifted. 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://twitter.com/askebay

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I understand your frustration, but fail to see the logic in:

The next time this happens, I am closing my account.

The reason I say that is that you state:

I've missed multiple auctions for rare items that will be hard to find for sale again,

Closing your account to spite eBay will not resolve that.

You need to find a solution instead of letting go of the opportunities to get the things that you want:)

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Do you still sell? Could it be that you did not sign up for Managed Payments and ebay sent out the wrong warning?  Instead of ordering you to sign up , they are sending you the bidding / buying limit email?  I have never seen a buyer with lots of feedback and time on ebay to be limited in their ability to buy/ bid.

Why don't you contact Ebay via Facebook? The staff there is trained, smart and speak English.  The ones on the phone can barely hold the phone and say hello at the same time.  They read from scripts.  If the question is not on the script. They can't answer.    Some have never sold an item so have no idea of how to list an  item if you should have a problem.      When you contact ebay via Facebook is via Messenger.  The conversation will be totally private. NONE of your friends or family will know that you have spoken to Ebay.  Hopefully , they can help you.

Finally, if you want to close your account, techincally it will stay open for at least 6 months after your last sale.  They want to make sure that your last buyer doesn't open up a case.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi @friendly_lamar

I'm sorry you're so disappointed with eBay.  eBay is definitely a glitchy website, but I haven't found that its glitchiness has interfered that much with my buying activities.

Only you can decide whether eBay is worth your support ... but if keeping your account open is contingent on eBay being glitch-free from now on ... you might as well close it now. 

Good luck to you ... wherever you decide to shop!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply