cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese Supply Chain shortages and eBay sellers

If as a BUYER, you buy a NEW item on eBay that's made in CHINA, your in big trouble! Chinese/American SELLER"S  are using eBay mailing labels and posting the tracking # as if they have the product. They do NOT, and you will be waiting many, many weeks for that product or a honest eBay message from them stating they shipped the product. A call to you USPS postmaster will reveal that the label was created but never accepted at a post office. eBays' stupid programmed AI system thinks the item is on-route to you and does NOT, let you contact eBay customer service. You get locked in a loop for hours, everything you try will end in fustration and you will get seriously angry. That anger leaves you no choice but to leave the SELLER a very nasty negative  feedback, which they deserve because, they should NOT be selling items they dont have in their inventory.  eBay is doing NOTHING to help buyers out of this dilemma. The eBay programming is the problem, the lack of a real human customer service via phone is not avialble to you. If your reading this, know this is a serious PROBLEM, because so many items are sold on eBay, NEW from China. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Chinese Supply Chain shortages and eBay sellers

@eastwestphoto,

Chinese sellers often use partner services (China Post, Orange Conex,  Blue Care ...) that partner with the USPS. When they ship they are automatically given a USPS tracking number for the final delivery, and since they can only post one tracking number that is the one they post.  The USPS number will not show any updates until the package arrives from China, clears customs, and is handed off to the USPS. 

On every listing there is an estimated delivery time frame, and when you buy from China you should expect delivery closer to the last one.  China did recently experience a Covid variant surge that caused them to limit flights again.  Since many small packages are shipped on passenger flights, that could cause a delay.

You sell and should know the terms and time frames of the Money Back Guarantee. Use it if need be.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Perhaps I am a weird buyer.  When I find something I want to buy on eBay, after I check the price and shipping, I look at the last estimated delivery date.  If that date is too far off to suit my needs, I find the back arrow to be handy.  It looks like this method works pretty well.  If the day after that EDD arrives and I still don't have my purchase, I know I can open an INR case per the MBG.  So sometimes I wait a little longer, but never go outside that 30 days that eBay gives me to open a case.  I don't get frustrated or seriously angry and I don't leave feedback until the transaction is complete.  I feel that the MBG is the way eBay helps buyers out of this dilemma.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@eastwestphoto 

Why would you get locked in a loop for hours?

A day after the EDD, open an INR for a refund.

With a 96.2% feedback, I think I would have found a better seller.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

China has issued a complete (every single person and family) lockdown of Shanghai, a city of 25 million (search: shanghai lockdown) Neighborhood committees put locks and bicycle chains on people's front doors. Besides the humanitarian aspect of locking down 25 million people; Shanghai is a major export hub; once that is disrupted, you'd expect it to take twice as long to recover.

I expect this, and future China lockdowns, to disrupt shipments from China throughout 2022.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Clearly, just in time inventory is NOT working. ebay is doing Nothing, the problem is serious. Three Chinese items , no shows. I did a refund on one. I am NOT buying anything from China and I telling all my friends, why? Not politics, its the nightmare of trouble, on ebay. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

yes, I didnt see his feedback, ebay should be shutting a person like this down. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

why hasn't ebay posted a red banner about, Supply issues and very long shipping times. Ebay does Nothing.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I not only check where the item is, I check where the seller is.  If it is a seller in China (or any other foreign country), but the item is warehoused in the US, I do not buy.  I only purchase from US sellers.  It takes longer when I search, but I have not had any problems with my purchases in 9 years.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@eastwestphoto wrote:

Clearly, just in time inventory is NOT working. ebay is doing Nothing, the problem is serious. Three Chinese items , no shows. I did a refund on one. I am NOT buying anything from China and I telling all my friends, why? Not politics, its the nightmare of trouble, on ebay. 

It's not just Ebay.

You buy from any site and it's coming from China, you're going to have problems.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 10
latest reply