cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling order

I had won a bid on an item, but before I went to pay the seller contacted me telling me that they had lost the item and thought they had taken down the listing, but they can't sell it to me. Then they said they will cancel the order for me. I said ok and asked do I
need to put payment thru in order for them to cancel and all they said to me was they will cancel today without any other answer. I am pretty new to ebay and have never had a seller tell me this. What should I do in case they never do anything? I tried cancelling myself but since it is an auction, cancelling is not an option. Also, do I need to make a payment in order for them to cancel? The seller was no help in answering me and I don't know how it works on the seller's side.
Any help would be great. Thank you.
Message 1 of 61
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cancelling order

No, you do not need to make payment for them to cancel. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good! - Ten

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

No, you do not need to make payment for them to cancel. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good! - Ten
Message 2 of 61
latest reply

Ok thank you!!
Message 3 of 61
latest reply

So, if I make an offer and it's accepted, but then I get cold feet and change my mind, it's a huge No No. But if a seller accepts an offer, and then cancels it with some excuse ("lost the item, or a partner already sold it"...) it's not a big deal?
Is that correct? Because I'm new to buying, and I just had a seller do this to me.
Message 4 of 61
latest reply

@jan**pal** wrote:
So, if I make an offer and it's accepted, but then I get cold feet and change my mind, it's a huge No No. But if a seller accepts an offer, and then cancels it with some excuse ("lost the item, or a partner already sold it"...) it's not a big deal?
Is that correct? Because I'm new to buying, and I just had a seller do this to me.

Where did anyone say it's "not a big deal"?

You just had a seller do what?  You state you got cold feet and backed out.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 5 of 61
latest reply

@jan**pal** wrote:

Are you suggesting that sellers can get away with canceling but buyers can't? A seller gets a defect for canceling a transaction that was not buyer requested. 

If you make an offer and the seller accepts it, and then you try to back out, you will get a strike against you for non-payment, unless the seller does not file against you.

A seller shouldn't cancel a transaction unless it is for a truly legit reason, but nobody can stop them, if they do it too many times there will be major consequences in most cases.

A buyer shouldn't make offers and then back out once the seller has agreed to it. If a buyer does that too many times, they will be blocked by many sellers and find they can't buy for quite some time.

Message 6 of 61
latest reply

Can You give more details as to what you bought, what the bid price ended at? In other words was it a great buy? 

One of a Sellers main duty is to make sure that What they have for sale is available.

One of a Sellers main duty is to make sure that What they have for sale is available. They can not cancel a bid that YOU DO NOT ASK TO BE CANCELED they get a strike. 

If they canceling a bid and SAY you ask to have the Bid canceled they DO NOT get a strike! If that happens then You should get a Message from eBay confirming that You ask for the cancellation. IF You did NOT ask for the cancellation then You need to say No You did not ask for the cancellation.

The metrics are pretty narrow on this type of thing. A Seller can not get too many of these and be booted off eBay. Some Sellers made it a habit of Listing items at a cheap start and not getting the price they expected and canceling the sale. eBay frowns on this behavior now! 

It is reasonable for eBay to be upset. A buyer hunts for a widget, takes the time to bid on it, wins it and the widget gets cancelled. They are disappointed. eBay wants the Sellers to be responsible. IF the Item sells too low then they should have started at a higher price. A good mantra that Sellers use is "Don't start a BID at a lower price than they are willing to get for the item"

Unfortunately, at times eBay has recommended  starting Bids at .99. New Sellers have fallen for this and been bit. 

It is entirely possible the Seller DID make a mistake and had sold the item before. Some Seller also post Items on other venues. It is their responsibility to make sure they have in stock what they are auctioning off.  I would suspect the Seller would have been more communicative IF it was an honest problem. 

Message 7 of 61
latest reply

jan**pal** wrote:

Jan when I first started selling on EBay, I thought it would be easy. I read a lot, and tried really hard to do it right. I had never maintained an inventory, so I made mistakes. That is part of my education at EBay School of hard knocks. Somehow I relisted some items that I had sold. As you notice, I am a Top Rated Seller and I get a discount for this off of my EBay fees. Well, for a year I did not get these discounts and was not a Top Rated Seller. It was an honest mistake but the mistake was mine. I paid the price for having to cancel 2 or 3 items, and learned from it. I check and recheck my inventory and have learned some things that EBay does that can cause this. It makes you super cautious, but there is a price.

Just wanted you to know that this is a BIG deal to EBay and to the seller. If a seller continually does this they can be kicked off EBay. A year is a long time to pay for an honest mistake, but it sure makes a seller more aware.

I do hope you do not have this problem again.

God Bless You,

Texy : )

Message 8 of 61
latest reply

It was a Disney pin which I won at $15 plus the shipping. The seller finally cancelled for me since they said they would, but a week later. I was just worried they were never going to do anything and I felt bad bothering them. At least I dont have to worry about it anymore! 🙂
Message 9 of 61
latest reply

Nataka kujua kuhusu Tanzania wakara wenu wapo mkoa gani
Message 10 of 61
latest reply

Is this a legit transaction number from a seller? This seems shady to me.transaction #39331922282
Message 11 of 61
latest reply

From EBay motor. Nothing pops up when I click on link?
Message 12 of 61
latest reply

Where did you find this listing ?

It should have 12 numbers if it is listed on eBay.

What link ?

Message 13 of 61
latest reply

I accidentally submitted. $1200 rather then $12.00 bid.
I emailed seller and told her my problem. I can't seem to find a way to retract my offer.
Message 14 of 61
latest reply

Message 15 of 61
latest reply