cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I retract a bid if I found out the seller had the same product only cheaper?

I feel kind of screwed and don't want to pay more for something when they had the same thing for way cheaper. This is the same person too! I only found out a little later about it by looking at their items for sale. By the way I have way over 12 hours to retract my bid.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Can I retract a bid if I found out the seller had the same product only cheaper?

@juststuffisell

your coral cameo ring is stunning!

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Re: Can I retract a bid if I found out the seller had the same product only cheaper?

@princess_phones wrote:

@suande-87 wrote:

@skincareandother wrote:
Thank you I will take that into account.

You went ahead and retracted....if this is the new generation of eBay buyer, I fear for the future...

Vrev6267, I think you bought a ticket to a lot of sellers’ blocked bidder lists. Sigh. 😔 

Alas!  The best we can do is offer advice. Failure to take it is on the OP.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

But if the buyer retracted before the auction ends, how would the seller know thier id to block them?
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

The id shows to the seller under bid history
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Ahhhh… thank you. That is one of those bits that I cannot get my head around. The stone looks like a diamond and my presidium gem tester lights up one time as a diamond and then another area it only shows as a sapphire but it does not read as a diamond on the presidium diamond tester, but I have seen diamonds of poor quality not read on the thing... I didn't feel like taking to my jeweler because of the chip in the coral and the amount of money involved.

I was a little salty with the auction house I picked this up at as someone stole the matching cameo lavalier pendant which was the only reason I bid on the thing grouping to begin with. The rest of the bits were costume that I don't deal in. They would not cancel the transaction and only offered a partial credit and frankly, wasn't worth fighting with them about.
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@skincareandother wrote:

I feel kind of screwed and don't want to pay more for something when they had the same thing for way cheaper. This is the same person too! I only found out a little later about it by looking at their items for sale. By the way I have way over 12 hours to retract my bid.

the onus is on you  for not doing your research before you bid.  you should not retract because being lazy is not a excuss.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Alas!  I'm not sure what was edited from your post.

My feelings about bid retractions are probably well known on the boards.  However, I'll repeat them.  I don't believe there is a reason to allow any bid retractions whatsoever, but since eBay does agree I usually do not block a bidder with one retraction showing on their record.  This is not a hard and fast, get out of jail free, rule though.  If I feel that the bidder is someone I don't wish to do business with, I block them immediately.

I usually check a bidder's record of retractions and feedback left for others as soon as I become aware of them bidding on one of my items.  Of course, there is not always time to cancel their bid and block them before the auction ends.  However, if that check reveals that they have more than one bid retraction, I cancel any and all bids they may have placed on any of my items and place them on my BBL.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@annasunicorns wrote:
But if the buyer retracted before the auction ends, how would the seller know thier id to block them?

Not only the seller he retracted his bid on, but all the sellers on this board who are reading this post. 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I don't think your supposed to do do that, but bids can be retracted up to a certain amount of time. I would just maybe contact the seller. I would let you out of it and bid on the other item if it were me selling
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

Alas!  I'm not sure what was edited from your post.

My feelings about bid retractions are probably well known on the boards.  However, I'll repeat them.  I don't believe there is a reason to allow any bid retractions whatsoever, but since eBay does agree I usually do not block a bidder with one retraction showing on their record.  This is not a hard and fast, get out of jail free, rule though.  If I feel that the bidder is someone I don't wish to do business with, I block them immediately.

I usually check a bidder's record of retractions and feedback left for others as soon as I become aware of them bidding on one of my items.  Of course, there is not always time to cancel their bid and block them before the auction ends.  However, if that check reveals that they have more than one bid retraction, I cancel any and all bids they may have placed on any of my items and place them on my BBL.

Sorry, no worries, I deleted it to comply with the rules of engagement.

I have no problem with your blocking those with bid retractions; I'm sure you are not alone.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@december1254 wrote:
I don't think your supposed to do do that, but bids can be retracted up to a certain amount of time. I would just maybe contact the seller. I would let you out of it and bid on the other item if it were me selling

You are DEFINITELY not supposed to do that for bidder’s remorse, and the OP knew that because they knew that they had 12 hours to retract before the auction ended. Here are the only acceptable reasons you can retract a bid. 

• The seller significantly changed the description of the item
  • You accidentally bid the wrong amount. For example, you meant to bid $20, not $200. In this case, enter the price you intended to bid as soon as you've retracted the incorrect bid
  • You can't reach the seller. For example, you sent the seller an email and it comes back undeliverable, or you tried calling the seller and the phone number doesn't work

If the OP had contacted the seller they probably would have canceled their bid, but they ignored the advice given and ended up with a ding from eBay and probably ended up on several seller’s Blocked Bidder lists because they didn’t think it really mattered. 

Message 27 of 27
latest reply