cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I challenge a partial refund?

I requested a refund from a seller, who replied that he was planning on only giving a partial return of my money. He said the value had decreased for the product across the board. Actually, he implied that I was only returning the item because its value has decreased since I bought it (the same item is now selling for $250 cheaper than when I bought it) and that the damage I found on the item wasn’t there before shipping. He hasn’t sent a refund yet, but I’m expecting it to be lower than I paid. If that does happen, can I challenge the amount? I have returned the item (he received it yesterday). Can sellers arbitrarily set the amounts they refund?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@adphd88 

Have you returned the item yet? Have you filed for a return/refund through eBay? Or did you just request the refund via messages to the seller? If you've just been messaging back and forth, stop negotiating with the seller via messaging. Right now.

If the item you purchased arrived damaged, you should be filing for a return/refund through eBay's Money Back Guarantee, not by messaging back and forth with the seller.

You can file for a return/refund either of two ways: through eBay's Resolution Center (there's a link on every eBay webpage) or through the item listing on your Purchase History page. (Click on "Return this item.") Either way, it's a pretty straight-forward process.

The return process will suggest you communicate with your seller. Since you've already done that, you can skip that step.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did go through the “request a return” process and sent the item back after he accepted the return. He received it yesterday and emailed me, saying he was planning on only giving a partial refund. I haven’t responded to his email. I really don’t know exactly what he will do, but I’m assuming he’ll follow through with the partial refund. If so, I’m hoping eBay supports me on this, but don’t know how it works in a situation like this. I’ve never returned anything before.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

If you returned the item that was damaged in shipping demand a full refund. Partial refund should only be excepted if there was a minor issue you could live with . You no longer have the item so  a partial refund is not fair or appropriate. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I should have added that a seller can issue a partial refund, but that option is to be used only if the buyer receives the item in perfect condition but returns it used or damaged; i.e., the buyer damaged the item. (Does that explanation make sense?)

That's another reason for you to file for a return based on the item arriving damaged.

This eBay help page is designed for sellers, but you may want to be informed about what your seller can and cannot do in regard to partial refunds:

How to handle a return request as a seller 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your response. Is there a step in the process for me to refuse a partial and ask again for a full refund? This is assuming he actually follows through on what he said in the email.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thank you! I will give that page a look right now!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

If he gives a partial refund you will have an opportunity to dispute the case and ebay will fund the rest of the refund to you.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Yes,  you should challenge it.

Partial refunds are only for items not returned in original condition for which the item can then lose value.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Yes, you should challenge it.  Sellers can only issue a partial refund for items not returned in original condition.

CONDITIONS OF RETURNED POLICY:

Buyers may be liable for loss in value of the item if it's returned in a different condition from which it was received, or if the item is not packaged securely to prevent damage in shipment. In the event that an item is returned used or damaged, some sellers might provide a partial refund to account for the loss in the item's value.

This applies when the loss in value is due to handling of the goods which was not necessary for checking the condition, properties, or mode of operation.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply