cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying process of living items

How does the packaging ensure the safety of living items being shipped which takes a few days? This was a question I always had and needed to clarify whether every time it become a success or not.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Buying process of living items

What "living items"?  You may want to take a close look at eBay's list of things that cannot be sold on eBay.

I have a feeling that animals etc are pretty close to the top of that list.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Worms, fish, plants there are other living things besides animals. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Here is eBay's policy on listing live animals, including the very short list of what's allowed.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/live-animals-policy?id=4327&st=12&pos...

As far as packaging and shipping, that question might get better answers if you post in groups that raise or keep  those animals.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Hi @thanippuliran0 

Here's a link you may want to view:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/prohibited-restricted-items

Many living items cannot be sold on Ebay including animals, plants and many more.  You could run into big problems with customs as well.  I personally would not attempt to sell them here.  

Good luck!

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

What living things, fauna or flora, are you expecting to ship from Sri Lanka?  And what countries do you expect to ship them to, because they won't get past U.S., Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, or United Kingdom Customs, for sure, and probably not customs in any European nation, west or east or middle.

-

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

After reading the rules, I am surprised to see that baby chicks are not allowed; they are commonly mailed within the US.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Well at least we are no longer mailing children.

Just a few weeks after Parcel Post began, an Ohio couple named Jesse and Mathilda Beagle mailed their 8-month-old son James to his grandmother, who lived just a few miles away in Batavia. Baby James was just shy of the 11-pound weight limit for packages sent via Parcel Post, and his delivery cost his parents only 15 cents in postage (although they did insure him for $50). The quirky story soon made newspapers, and for the next several years, similar stories would occasionally surface as other parents followed suit.

In one famous case, on February 19, 1914, a four-year-old girl named Charlotte May Pierstorff was mailed via Parcel Post from her home in Grangeville, Idaho to her grandparents’ house about 73 miles away. “Postage was cheaper than a train ticket,” Her story has become so legendary that it was even made into a children’s book named “Mailing May”.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Chicks, chickens and fighting cocks are mailed every day, just not purchased on eBay.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

As a new seller, you should probably start with inanimate objects. Even those are difficult to sell correctly on here. Live? even if they were allowed, forget it.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Animals that are allowed have to have overnight delivery. 

Plants located outside of the U.S. can't  be listed due to U.S. import restrictions.

I'm glad you asked because many listings from Sri Lanka violate policy. Especially the Plants and seeds policy.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply