cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an RV

Hello All! 

New to this and really could use some help! So I want to purchase a RV. However, seller is requiring my personal information for purchase and said they would notify Ebay on purchase and shipping.

how does this thing work

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Buying an RV

That's a scam.  eBay just doesn't work that way.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Buying an RV

SCAM!!  SCAM!!  SCAM!!  Run, Forrest, Run!!  Have no further communication with the scammer!!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Buying an RV

@ibstylin2015_1 

Ebay doesn't work like that.

It's an old scam and you need to report the ad to the site you found it on.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Buying an RV

"how does this thing work"

@ibstylin2015_1 

This thing works by scammers preying off the uninformed. I'm so glad you came here first!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Buying an RV

The way it works is you find the listing on Facebook, Craigslist, etc., A very sad story is included, and the price is unbelievable. With your interest perked you contact them. They send you a very real looking eBay listing, they tell you that the vehicle, boat, RV, etc. is being stored at an eBay warehouse, and that you will have 5 days to test drive the vehicle before any monies are released. They add Free Shipping as the final nail in your coffin. They tell you to buy $2,000.00 worth of eBay gift cards and to send them pics of each gift card scratched. Once you do this they tell you that your vehicle is on it's way. A couple hours later they call and tell you that an additional $1,000.00 in gifts cards is needed for insurance, which will be refunded when the vehicle is delivered. When you send that part three of the scam is triggered. They will call you and tell you that an additional $500.00 is needed for your states vehicle tax. At this point you become sceptical and start to wonder if you've been scammed. You start asking questions and they hang up on you. You try calling back and the number has been disconnected. Now you're in a panic. Despite all the crazy thoughts running your head, you're somehow able to find eBay's Community Forum. And you type (In all caps of course).

"EBAY RIPPED ME OFF AND NO ONE CAN HELP ME!"

Then people like myself, with too much time on our hands, will tell you that eBay was not involved in the transaction and that you have been scammed. Sadly this probably happens scores of time each week.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 6 of 6
latest reply