cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy it Now confirmation page?

From a buyers standpoint, Buy it Now does not seem to have a confirmation page.  Pressing Buy it Now immediately brings me to the payment page.  Is there some setting that will allow a confirmation page before going straight to payment?  Reason I ask is because a few times I almost mistakeningly pressed the Buy it Now button due to page loading issues.  I do not want to be committed to a purchase due this this type of error.  Thanks

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buy it Now confirmation page?

Simply hitting the Buy It Now button does not create a transaction.  There has to be another step taken to commit to buy the item (and have it reserved for you so nobody else can buy it).

When you hit the BIN button you are taken either to a payment screen or a confirmation screen, depending on whether eBay or the seller has made the BIN "Immediate Payment Required."  If you are taken to a payment screen you are not yet obligated to pay, and can navigate out of that screen (or close the tab/window) without any obligation to buy the item; only if you actually pay have you entered into a transaction.  If you are taken to a confirmation screen there is a button to "Commit to buy" (or maybe it's "purchase" instead of buy, it's been a while since I've seen one) where you confirm your commitment; if you don't click that button you are not committed to buy and there is no transaction; again you can navigate away with no obligation.

Check your My eBay: Purchase History (both awaiting payment and paid sections) to be sure you haven't done one or the other.  If you have you can message the seller and request s/he cancel the transaction but s/he is not obligated to do so.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Simply hitting the Buy It Now button does not create a transaction.  There has to be another step taken to commit to buy the item (and have it reserved for you so nobody else can buy it).

When you hit the BIN button you are taken either to a payment screen or a confirmation screen, depending on whether eBay or the seller has made the BIN "Immediate Payment Required."  If you are taken to a payment screen you are not yet obligated to pay, and can navigate out of that screen (or close the tab/window) without any obligation to buy the item; only if you actually pay have you entered into a transaction.  If you are taken to a confirmation screen there is a button to "Commit to buy" (or maybe it's "purchase" instead of buy, it's been a while since I've seen one) where you confirm your commitment; if you don't click that button you are not committed to buy and there is no transaction; again you can navigate away with no obligation.

Check your My eBay: Purchase History (both awaiting payment and paid sections) to be sure you haven't done one or the other.  If you have you can message the seller and request s/he cancel the transaction but s/he is not obligated to do so.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Click on Add to cart instead of buy it now and then view cart.   No obligation has been created until you pay.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@div_style wrote:

Click on Add to cart instead of buy it now and then view cart.   No obligation has been created until you pay.

OP has said that sometimes they hit buy it now accidentally because of page loading issues and I can see very easily how that can happen. There are some sites (eBay included) where the server forces a page reload and the page "jumps" because of that, resulting in either clicking the wrong button, or not clicking anything at all. Heck, these boards even jump around as the "draft saved" process happens.

Still, you and woodland_gnome are on the right track, I think. Just having something in the cart doesn't complete the transaction and if you navigate away from the payment page, the item remains in the cart until it either times out, or someone else actually pays. 

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for the explanation. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yes, thank you.  To ebay: A simple statement in the payment page stating this would be helpful.   The fact that it not stated almost makes me think it’s intentional to lead me to go ahead and pay.  

And it would be helpful if ebay would actually state this somewhere.  Instead of having to ask on the community forum to get this information.   Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply