cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit of a rant, eBay's "Similar item" sometimes are awful

Half of the time the similar item eBay automatically shows me when I try to view ended listing are completely different. ie ended listing was for a book, eBay seems to think similar listing is a pair of used shoes.

Today I had a new one. I was trying to check Nintendo Switch that ended on my watch list, eBay showed me a similar listing, a brand new Nintendo Switch for $90 from China.  Anyone who's been around eBay long will know this is very likely a scam, seller never sends anything and hopes the buyer forgets to file INR claim.

eBay, can we please have an option to opt-out of automatic similar listing as too often they point to wrong or unrelated listing, listing that are outside country when I originally wanted from within home country only, or obvious scam listing? Even in the rare chance eBay gets the right item in the right location, if I searched I can find cheaper items instead of what eBay offered.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Bit of a rant, eBay's "Similar item" sometimes are awful

@puddle_jumper,

Sadly ebay seems to be in panic mode when it comes to the "similar" items.  They do not care who lists something or if it is in no way similar to what was sold.  They also keep encouraging sellers to lower prices. Their mantra seems to be show anything at hopefully the lowest price from unreliable sellers, "just buy" something.   They too much invested into  their "intuitive" search which hasn't worked even though they admitted hat it wasn't tested, to make changes now.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 2
latest reply