cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware fake Paypal scam....

I just received two seperate emails that said........

Dear ............

You have successfully made a payment of $ 92.37 to ********** with your PayPal Debit Mastercard.

This transaction was made using your PayPal account (my account.com) on 24/02/16 and the charge will appear on your account statement as a debit by: ********.

You have the legal right to cancel the order for items purchased through PayPal for 5 business days after the day you receive them.

(link removed)

Of course it is a phising email. DO NOT click the "cancel the order" button becasue it brings you to a fake Paypal sign in page........ Trying to scam paypal emails and passwords...

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Beware fake Paypal scam....

What shall I do if pressed link?

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@katrichardson2010 wrote:

What shall I do if pressed link?

A good first step would probably be going to PayPal and changing your password. The purpose of these phishing scams is to get your password.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

I've received this email and I don't know what to do around it. Could you help me 

Thanks 

Joanne 

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Delete the email, then empty your trash.  Run full anti-virus software and malware on your computer, then get a second version of high quality anti-virus/malware and run it also.  Change all your passwords to everything after running the a-v &m programs. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I received this email as well. So was a payment made or i' it all fake?

Jen

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

I get these emails all the time.

The scammer is hoping you'll click the link to cancel the order.

I you click the link, you are sent to a fake site where you'll enter your Pay Pal information and instead of logging into your Pay Pal, you just sent your log in information to the scammer.

Never click links in a email like that, go straight to Pay Pal.

Have a great day
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I always reply hoping they will respond back.

I was talking with one a few weeks ago and he was giving me his little sales pitch.

To get my money, I had to send $295.00 to cover all the paper work and get the deal started. I told him to take the $295.00 out of the money and send me a check for the rest.

He tried telling me that he couldn't do it that way and tried to convince me it was all legal and give me phone numbers to call to check up on it.

I told him I would forward the information to my friend at the police department to make sure is was legit.

Never heard any more from him.

Have a great day
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

I also just recveived this email...when I went to the "fake site" I also could see that it was NOT the pay pal log in .   It took me to the following site;   

Beware of this and report it to PayPal at spoof@paypal.com

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Just got one too. I saw the cancel this transaction opened to an unknown address-not Paypal and closed it immediately. 

Phishing scams hurt far far too many people. I sent Paypal the email for them to check out and changed my password! 

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Same here...

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS hover your cursor over the link or button in the email to see where it is really from.

You CANNOT trust the email address at the top and you cannot trust the VISIBLE email in the link.

These can be manipulated.

However, if you hover the cursor over the link or the button, the email program shows you where the link is actually going and if paypal.com or ebay.com are NOT in there, it's fake.

For example...

www.ebay.russkil.com is FAKE

www.payment.paypal.semini.com is FAKE

www.payments.paypal.com is usually legit

www.announcement.ebay.com is usually legit

They usually put the words eBay or paypal in there to make it look more legit but it's ONLY legit if paypal.com or eBay.com IS AT THE END of the hover-URL.

Anything else in the email (in the header or in the message) cannot be trusted to be what it looks like. Only the hover-URL can be trusted (as far as I know, no one's been able to fake that yet because the system is telling you where the link actually goes).

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

I always laugh when I get these (the email they send them to is not my paypal email!) I forward them to spoof  at paypal. 

If you NEED to check your paypal account. Open a separate tab and go to paypal from there---do not click on any links! 

And yes, I get TONS of emails from banks, stores, etc (none of which are real!) all to an email that is not set up for any of them....so I KNOW they are all fake.

And remember MOST real emails will use your real name in their opening line...not 'johndoe2018'. ALWAYS be suspicious!

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

►And remember MOST real emails will use your real name in their opening line

That no longer means anything. With data mining* and all the data breaches (particularly the eBay breach), the bad guys have real names to go with email addresses. And in some cases phone numbers, SSN's, BD's, and addresses.

*A sophisticated black hat group can put together tidbits from the eBay, Home Depot, Equifax, etc breaches along with old email lists, scraping eBay listings for seller names, social media info, and any other bits of data that was ever leaked or put on the interwebs. "Security though obscurity" ("there's no way they will put 2 and 2 together") is no longer any sort of defense except against the laziest/stupidest of phishers. And that won't even be true for much longer when the sophisticated black hats leverage everything worthwhile to them (I'd assume whaling - big juicy targets) and sell off the integrated datasets on the cheap to script kiddie phishers like plain email lists used to be.

"Privacy is dead. Get over it"
Message 28 of 28
latest reply