cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER FEES??????????

marleymarlinu
Rising Star

I've noticed that eBay charged me fees for two transactions where I made an offer, to the sellers, of the items I purchased. Are there such fees? If so, why would eBay charge a fee towards the buyer when 'making an offer' option is used? 

AND why can't you contact eBay via email?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

BUYER FEES??????????

Ok if it’s sales tax and the seller already charged me sales tax then eBay charged me a sales tax on the total I already paid. That means I have to pay two sales taxes? Why? And how is that legal? 

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

BUYER FEES??????????

@moonmadd wrote:

Ok if it’s sales tax and the seller already charged me sales tax then eBay charged me a sales tax on the total I already paid. That means I have to pay two sales taxes? Why? And how is that legal? 

When did the seller collect sales tax from you?  For states that eBay is required to collect the sales tax, eBay's system doesn't permit sellers to collect it as well, if I'm not mistaken.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 32 of 40
latest reply

BUYER FEES??????????

Why is ebay charging sales tax for the price of the item AND the shipping charge?  You aren’t supposed to pay tax on shipping costs - but I just did. 

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

BUYER FEES??????????

Because many states are requiring the shipping fee be taxed too.Its considered part of the transaction.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 34 of 40
latest reply

BUYER FEES??????????

Spoiler
It seems so. Just made a purchase on a sellers best offer and free shipping. It totaled $7 more than the agreed price because of eBay. That really sucks. Should be paid by seller not buyer. Not sure I will be buying much more from eBay. 
Message 35 of 40
latest reply

BUYER FEES??????????

Many states have taxed shipping for as long as sales taxes have existed.

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

BUYER FEES??????????

You live in New York, and you are also a seller.

Therefore, any purchases you make to be shipped to New York would be charged sales/use tax.  It has been this way since June 1, 2019 when New York's Marketplace Facilitator law went info effect.  ebay is following the law by collecting this tax and remitting to your state's taxing authority.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

BUYER FEES??????????

Don’t care how long it’s this way. What Is the point in coming to an agreement with someone only to have eBay tack on some money when as a seller you are already paying fees. There is no disclosure in the listings so it’s shady. Sorry. 

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

BUYER FEES??????????

There is no disclosure in the listings so it’s shady. Sorry. 

This Marketplace Facilitator info has been in the news for years.

Click on any PAYMENTS & SHIPPING tab on any listing and scroll down to the section where it talks about taxes.  There will be a statement:

Taxes may be applicable at checkout. Learn more

Click on the LEARN MORE link and scroll down and you will see a list of states and when they started collecting sales/use tax.  I believe it is now close to 39 states which have these laws.  If you don't like it, contact your state's representatives in Congress.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

BUYER FEES??????????

eBay is not tacking on anything.  The state to which the item is delivered is requiring eBay to charge state sales tax to buyers whose items are delivered to those states.

And does anyone notice that the original question was 8 months ago? 

Message 40 of 40
latest reply