cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST OFFER WITH PAYMENT INFO ? WHAT NON SENSE IS THIS?

My Best offers have Dried Up, only thing I can figure is eBay's New policy of asking a buyer for payment info before a Deal has been Struck, and really I don't blame buyers, I won't make offers either because of it, so I guess we're all in a Stand-off, I did take action, I removed Best Offer from my listings, and I started Watching stuff, with the hope that the Sellers would send offers, I send offers with the option to counter offer for the buyers, appears to be the only way around eBay's Stupidity.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: BEST OFFER WITH PAYMENT INFO ? WHAT NON SENSE IS THIS?

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

@maccnc11 wrote:

My Best offers have Dried Up, only thing I can figure is eBay's New policy of asking a buyer for payment info before a Deal has been Struck, and really I don't blame buyers, I won't make offers either because of it, so I guess we're all in a Stand-off 

qeqo_0_0-1693091594159.jpeg

Just turn off both "require buyers" at the bottom of your Buyer Requirements page, for offers and bids, @maccnc11.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

I'm an eBay buyer & Paypal user for decades.  As of today, I must stop using Ebay and Paypal and this is why.  Yesterday, I made offers on two items and both were accepted.  Both were immediate Automatic Payments.  To my surprise, Paypal did not use my preferred payment method(credit card) but the amounts were deducted from my checking account.  Paypal has also changed my preferred payment method-- to my Bank Checking account--I have tried several times to change it back unsuccessfully.  Ebay and Paypal need to fix this!

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

OK, Done,  now what?, Still when I go to make an offer the requirement is still there, how do you get everyone to turn it off, and why is it on anyway, when someone doesn't pay my listings auto cancel in 3 days, and I have had a few people Not Pay, but very few, not enough to justify, all the problems this required payment is causing.

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

@maccnc11 wrote:

. . ., Still when I go to make an offer the requirement is still there, how do you get everyone to turn it off, and why is it on anyway, when someone doesn't pay my listings auto cancel in 3 days, and I have had a few people Not Pay, but very few, not enough to justify, all the problems this required payment is causing.

You opted out as a seller for YOUR listings.  You can't opt out as a buyer.

As to "why":  eBay has been "experimenting" with requiring pre-authorization of payment for Best Offers for over a year and a half, adding more and more users into the test group required to do so (sellers can opt their listings out of it; buyers cannot opt out once they are assigned). Too many users were making offers and then not paying when it was accepted, and too many of those were scammers who would try to get the seller to text or email them to get their number/email address to send fake payment messages to.  
Not sure whether or not they have officially made it permanent yet or it continues "experimentally." They have recently started trying it out on auction bids.

That YOU are satisfied with the non-payment cancellation procedure (which is 4 calendar days for the buyer to pay before cancellation for non-payment, not 3) doesn't mean that all the other sellers are also.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

I really don't like Non-payers either, However I'd prefer 1 out 10 non payment than 1 sale out of 10 who would like to buy but stopped because they don't want to give payment info till a deal is Struck, there are other issues with eBays arrangement, Multiple offers on several items is a problem for combined shipping, it's a problem for the Seller, because of eBay policy regarding Not Honoring Partial refunds, the can't recover FEES, if he issues a Partial refund. 

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

I tried a best offer today and it looks like Just maybe eBay is coming around, because it noted my default payment this time with and option to change, before it funneled down in the offer process to my checking account, there fore in the past I didn't follow thru, you might take another look, and see if it's different for you, I'm sure eBay wants to tag your checking so they don't have to share any of the Fees with Paypal. 

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

Still when I go to make an offer the requirement is still there, how do you get everyone to turn it off, and why is it on anyway, 

@maccnc11 

Those settings are there, and set to the default of YES because eBay put them there.  

You can ask a seller to turn them off, but notice the little pop-up warning shown in the screenshot in message #2...."Removing the requirement may result in more unpaid items."   Many sellers have no idea that those preferences were placed there in the first place, and if they do they are not truly informed of the consequences for them or the buyer when the opportunity to combine items is removed.  Many firmly believe that eBay would not do anything that is actually bad for you....LOL 

I am sure sellers that don't live in fear of a non-payer will figure out why they no longer get many offers or bids.  In times of slow sales, it does not make sense to discourage buyers at all.  "New smoother checkout" presented to buyers fails to inform them of the consequences as well, like limited payment options and the removal of the opportunity to combine items for one shipping price. 

Instead of getting rid of buyers that don't pay, eBay has chosen this method which indeed makes more money for eBay.  Making a bit of extra money is not a problem for eBay.  It will likely continue so long as the sellers keep those default requirements, and buyers are duped into forking over that upfront payment source.  

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

I made a comment that was in error in an earlier post, I didn't follow thru so I went back and made an offer and sure enough it seems that eBay wants to corral all of us into tapping our checking accounts. MY BAD, I guess it's time to use the power of Copy and Paste to inform sellers, that they may be losing sales opportunity due to the default settings, in "Buyer Payment  Requirements" 

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

Sure hope they don't do it to Auctions, because I won't  best offer or  bid in auctions anymore.

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

Sure hope they don't do it to Auctions

@maccnc11 

They already are.  Please revisit the screen shot in message #2.  So far it appears some buyers are only forced into putting up a payment source to make an offer.  Others are forced just for bidding, and some are in it for both.  More BUYERS are being enrolled every day!  

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

@woodland_gnome wrote:

@maccnc11 wrote:

. . ., Still when I go to make an offer the requirement is still there, how do you get everyone to turn it off, and why is it on anyway, when someone doesn't pay my listings auto cancel in 3 days, and I have had a few people Not Pay, but very few, not enough to justify, all the problems this required payment is causing.

That YOU are satisfied with the non-payment cancellation procedure (which is 4 calendar days for the buyer to pay before cancellation for non-payment, not 3) doesn't mean that all the other sellers are also.

On the other hand will ebay be doing anything more to address the problem of inappropriate seller cancellations of items won or purchased by ebay buyers?

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to enhanced concern over buyer dissatisfaction, with respect to seller refusals to complete transactions & then lieing to ebay in an attempt to avoid receiving a defect.

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Ebay doesn't appear concerned with a decline in sales.

@maccnc11 wrote:

Sure hope they don't do it to Auctions, because I won't  best offer or  bid in auctions anymore.

Ebay should be undertaking actions that would help in promoting sales

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

A seller can uncheck that Requirement too, and I'll say if your doing an auction you certainly Want that UNCHECKED, if you don't your likely to give your stuff away on auctions.

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

Do you not believe that this is eBay's attempt to cut down on non-paying bidders?  

Message 15 of 42
latest reply