cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding The Question About Taxes

The Company Does Not Reply Or Respond To Tax Policies 

They Charge Un Valid Taxes For Postage, To Soldiers, And Veterans. 

All Exempt To California And All Fifty States. These People Are Real Citizens.

The Company Could Really Careless. It Has Pointed Out Members Of Congress 

Of The Issue. Asking Reimbursement In New York, eBay Does Not Charge, Taxes On

Postage. ( A Violation Of Postal Law Cases Well Known)  Also, Retail Tax To Soldiers And Veterans is 

Prohibited By Federal Law. ( Case Laws And Codes Can Be Validated)

If Allowed To Speak Some One From eBay About The Tax Issue,

They Run Away Or Change The Subject. 

These Question Can Be Answer With Direct Letters To Your Congressional Representative. 

There Is Committee Being Formed For Investigation. 

Then The Real Questions And Answers Will Surface. Taxes Or Just A Service Fee.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Avoiding The Question About Taxes

Who knows? You may be on to something. 

lol are you on the same page as me?

They're on something alright  but No, they're not on to something.

Message 16 of 64
latest reply

Who knows? You may be on to something. 

lol are you on the same page as me?

They're on something alright  but No, they're not on to something.

LOL  -- I did consider leaving out the word "to" in that sentence.  

Message 17 of 64
latest reply

If a state does not tax for something purchased within the state is it allowed to tax for that same item because it was purchased from outside of the state and then delivered to someone within the state?

Would taxing the out of state purchase be fairly apportioned and non discriminatory when it is not taxed  within the state?

I never pay Sales Tax if I purchase from my local USPS but online I am taxed.  Some states do not tax the purchase of coins but purchased online they are taxed.  There are other examples.

D. H. Holmes Co. v.
McNamara, 486 U. S. 24, 31 (1988). The Court will sustain a tax so long as it (1) applies to an activity with a
substantial nexus with the taxing State, (2) is fairly apportioned, (3) does not discriminate against interstate
commerce, and (4) is fairly related to the services the State
provides.

Message 18 of 64
latest reply

(1) What do you purchase from your local USPS, except stamps?

(2) eBay is required by law to collect the state sales tax from buyers whose delivery address is in one of the 45 or so states that have a state sales tax.  

Message 19 of 64
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

(2) eBay is required by law to collect the state sales tax from buyers whose delivery address is in one of the 45 or so states that have a state sales tax.  

Shipping services.

Message 20 of 64
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Even purchasing on-line from USPS.com any of their other items there is no sales tax.  

stephenmorgan_0-1650655824435.png

Message 21 of 64
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

Even purchasing on-line from USPS.com any of their other items there is no sales tax.  

stephenmorgan_0-1650655824435.png

Paying for shipping directly is not the same as taxes on the shipping part of an order.  Whether taxes are charged on that varies by state. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 22 of 64
latest reply

@mfisher2202 wrote:

Rules Seem Simple And Following Them As A Civilian, Gives Life With Excuses. 

The Capital Breaks The Computer From Generating Joke Answers. 

The First Two Are Computer Generated.

I Have Paid Tax On Everything, Including Clothing Non-Taxable In New York City.

They Combine Postage As Handling. Tax The Whole Thing. 

Congress Is The Best Way.  A Committee Investigation Sure Cure The Issue.

Introduction

Clothing and footwear sold for less than $110 per item or pair and items used to make or repair this clothing are exempt from the New York State 4% sales and use taxes. The exemption does not apply to local sales and use taxes unless the county or city imposing the taxes elects to provide the exemption

You need to be sure your inputting your entire area code for one.  If you're only using the first five eBay will tax based on the highest rate based on those five digits.  That seems it could also apply if the code you're using doesn't all have an exemption in place for clothing. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 23 of 64
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

Paying for shipping directly is not the same as taxes on the shipping part of an order.  Whether taxes are charged on that varies by state. 

Sure, I understand that.  My point is if USPS Shipping is not Sales Taxed within the State then I am not sure it is allowed to be Taxable because it originated from outside the State.  

If I send something from my State to someone who is in my State I am not Sales Taxed for the USPS charges.  If I am in another state and I send something to someone in my home State I am not Sales Taxed.

The Sales Tax on shipping is only applied from certain On-Line Venues, but not all.

I believe the SCOTUS decision supports the States Taxing you for On-Line Sales as long as people within the State also pay the Sales Tax on the same exact Goods or Services.  In other words the State can not create a special Tax that is not fairly apportioned and discriminates because you purchased something from out of State.

I could be wrong, this is just my opinion.

Message 24 of 64
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

Sure, I understand that.  My point is if USPS Shipping is not Sales Taxed within the State then I am not sure it is allowed to be Taxable because it originated from outside the State.  

If I send something from my State to someone who is in my State I am not Sales Taxed for the USPS charges.  If I am in another state and I send something to someone in my home State I am not Sales Taxed.

The Sales Tax on shipping is only applied from certain On-Line Venues, but not all.

I believe the SCOTUS decision supports the States Taxing you for On-Line Sales as long as people within the State also pay the Sales Tax on the same exact Goods or Services.  In other words the State can not create a special Tax that is not fairly apportioned and discriminates because you purchased something from out of State.

If sounds like you're still comparing paying for shipping directly to ship something to being charged taxes on shipping portion of a purchase.  They are not the same thing.  There won't be a  tax charge to buy shipping from USPS.  However when you have an online order the shipping part of that order is taxable In many states.  It's considered part of the items value.  

Message 25 of 64
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

Yes, you could be wrong. Sales tax in any state is codified by the state. And in many states, their tax code explicitly states that shipping cost is taxable. I don't know what state you're in, but I know of no states that distinguish between in-state and out-of-state sales when collecting tax. If you're not being charged, it's more than likely a venue that's not following state law. Tax law applies equally to all venues. Enforcing that law is a different matter.

Message 26 of 64
latest reply

Hmm folks do not seem to understand that the shipping is a taxable service.

This is why of the online you get taxed,

when you go to the Brick store to purchase you do not get taxed on shipping because there is none...

Yet of course you may get taxed on the transaction if the item or service purchased is applicable to such in the state you are in...

Amusing topic.

Have no clue to the rant the OP did....

Message 27 of 64
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

when you go to the Brick store to purchase you do not get taxed on shipping because there is none...

Yet of course you may get taxed on the transaction if the item or service purchased is applicable to such in the state you are in...

Amusing topic.

I was trying to keep my conversation specifically as it relates to USPS with State Sales Tax being charge on-line but not in-store.

So when you go to your local USPS (Brick & Motor) and purchase their Shipping Services or any of the various other items they sell are you charged a Sales Tax that is remitted to the State?

Message 28 of 64
latest reply

eBay charges fees on the total amount processed, which includes the item, sales tax and shipping +.30 cents. Sales tax is charge on the item for where it is delivered and is paid by the buyer. Sales tax is not charged on the shipping cost.  So, you are not being taxed on the shipping, you are paying a FVF on the total amount. The FVF is not a tax, it is a fee. Tax and processing fees (FVF) not the same thing. 

Message 29 of 64
latest reply

@stephenmorgan wrote:

@donsdetour wrote:

Amusing topic.

I was trying to keep my conversation specifically as it relates to USPS with State Sales Tax being charge on-line but not in-store.

So when you go to your local USPS (Brick & Motor) and purchase their Shipping Services or any of the various other items they sell are you charged a Sales Tax that is remitted to the State?

Are you charged taxes if you print a label on USPS com?  

You're comparing two different things.  One is paying for shipping directly to USPS no taxes. The other is buying an item online that has a shipping cost. They are not the same.  Different states have different rules but many states charge taxes on the shipping cost of your online order.  It's not the same as buying shipping from USPS. 

Message 30 of 64
latest reply