cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto pay on offer issue for buyers

This IS an issue for buyers.

I FULLY understand and get the frustration of bots/scammers bidding on things and never paying.

This is not a solution to a buyer though.

My personal issue is the want to offer on various items and combining shipping. This forced me to pay immediately 4X shipping as the first order sat in my cart ready to pay. It should be a check box in the offer section. If it is one item there is no issue but for bulk purchases there are not good options.

This promotes smaller orders where shipping is the winner. This is bad for consumers, sellers, and forcing more shipping waste.

PLEASE, EBAY,  think about making this a check box in the offer section(maybe even have it checked by default. Maybe allow sellers to force the auto pay feature for offers on individual listings((as people buying a ps5 are probably not grouping an order while they may also sell things like shirts and books that could be grouped on their own))). As I contacted the seller and set arrangements to offer on various items in their shop and they okayed it and would combine shipping. This auto pay feature ALONE made this a bad and stressful experience! The seller was beyond kind and helpful and sadly they took a loss so I, the customer, didn't.

It didn't protect the seller. In any other case if a seller didn't assist, the customer might be turned off to the ebay platform as a whole! 

maybe I am the minority here(and I hope it is just helping sellers get what they are owed) however, I think my situation is going to be a very common thing as grouping orders makes the difference in finding deals and buying things online. I mean this is almost the sole reason amazon has done so well, is the group order free shipping.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You’re not wrong at all. I was out of town and wanted to bid. Asked seller if he could delay shipping. He said fine but don’t pay because they are required to ship. I understood because I use to sell on eBay regularly before the train wreck of changes.

well I won, but they did autopay. We’ll never again. I am on the road 4 months a year, I WILL NEVER BID AGIN ON THE ROAD!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

This smoother & more convenient buyer checkout has a downside that will result in the loss of some sales & also some buyers which ebay is certainly aware & apparently believes it & it's sellers will tolerate & afford.

As a buyer you need to focus on acting in your own self interest.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

This promotes smaller orders where shipping is the winner. This is bad for consumers, sellers, and forcing more shipping waste.

@nebsurfer 

This program promotes more money for eBay.  They don't care if it is bad for buyers or sellers. 

Sellers that wish to combine items from the same buyer can turn off the default to yes buyer requirements eBay placed on all seller's  accounts a year or so ago.  Sellers that don't want multiple purchases can leave them as placed. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

eBay announced in their new update the other day that  ALL buyer accounts will be forced into participation with auto pay to make offers. Some buyers are already forced into providing a auto billed payment source in order to bid with more being added every day. 

While some sellers are thrilled with this, many don't realize it discourages buyers that actually do pay. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply