cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Pay if offer is accepted! NO EBAY! I wanted combined shipping!

Auto-Pay if offer is accepted! NO EBAY!

I went to make an offer on a poster this morning. I have done this multiple time, almost every day.

Today a new screen pops up.

Auto-Pay if offer is accepted crop.png

eBay is planning on auto-paying if the offer is accepted.

NO! NO! NO!  I want to get combined shipping!!!!!  😵

I frequently make offers on multiple item from the same seller with the expectation of combining shipping.

Not with this STUPID change to offers!

Message 1 of 122
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@snap-a-pl8 wrote:

I was just about to make an offer, but need to pay on Nov. 1st when I had the funds.

Now I just won't make the offer, because eBay would overdraw my account.

STUPID!

No offense, but that's basically asking a seller to "hold" an item for you for 3 days. In the interim, the seller loses the ability to offer the item to another party, all the while wondering if they're ever going to actually get paid (and they often don't).

There's no other reputable marketplace, online or otherwise, that allows buyers to place an item on a completely free, no obligation hold for up to 4 days, while they decide if they want to pay for it. This is unheard of in this day and age - Walmart has done away with their layaway program, and even that required a down payment.

While I agree that making offers and winning auctions without having to pay for several days has been an unprecedented convenience for buyers over the last 20+ years on eBay, it's severely outdated and creates an unnecessary burden on sellers.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 122
latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

@imapaqrat,

I haven't made an offer in a long time, so I have not seen that screen before.  I agree it is a stupid thing to do if a buyer wants to make offers on several items at one time from a seller.   My best suggestion would be to contact the seller tell them what is happening and ask if they would refund the shipping cost difference.

Does the seller say they combine shipping on their listing pages anywhere?  If not they may not do that. It is not required of them.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 122
latest reply

I was just about to make an offer, but need to pay on Nov. 1st when I had the funds.

STUPID!

Message 3 of 122
latest reply

Interesting, I made offers on some items that I want and didn't get any pages like that

Message 4 of 122
latest reply

I noticed that as well.  I made an offer on my other account and get the auto-pay pop-up; but on my main account I don't get the pop-up.

I've made around 10 offer attempts from my other account this morning and every one get the auto-pay pop-up, even with sellers that specifically say they combine shipping.

Once again eBay, why make a huge change like this during the busiest time of the year????!!!!

Message 5 of 122
latest reply

Just to add confusion the Auto-Pay if Offer is Accepted.

From my other account, I made 2 offers on Auction Items with a Best Offer.  Neither of those had to Auto-Pay Pop-up window.  So currently it seems the Auto-Pay Pop-up only happens on Fixed Price with Best Offer listing.

I'll keep poking at this to see if that is consistent.

Message 6 of 122
latest reply

@imapaqrat ,

This is probably a test, with a small number of accounts, to find out if buyers will accept this or not. I don't like the idea either, of having to wait up to 48 hours to find out if the seller is going to accept or not, with no way to cancel the charge in that time. I noticed that it also doesn't show how long the offer is good for, and there's no way to edit the time, which has been possible for a while now.

Lots of sellers have been asking for IPR with offers since forever. Not the most logical way to try to implement it, IMO. It would make more sense to require payment if a buyer accepts an offer, because that way, it's the buyer's choice to purchase and pay, just like IPR is now on fixed price listings. 

That could be done with combined payments, by setting it up so that the offer-items could be added to the shopping cart, and then the final acceptance happens when they are paid for. That way, a buyer could accept multiple offers from a seller at the exact same time. The seller would have to have combined-payment rules set up, of course.

Message 7 of 122
latest reply

Sellers have been asking for this for years, to eliminate non-payers. It does have side effects, but a lot of sellers would consider this an early Christmas present.

Message 8 of 122
latest reply

As a Power Buyer, I can tell you this will drastically affect my purchases.

IMHO: Shortsighted of sellers.  If a buyer doesn't pay, you block them and move on.  Punish the NPBs, not all buyers.

Message 9 of 122
latest reply

Auto-Pay if offer is accepted! NO EBAY!

@imapaqrat 

This is something new that eBay is rolling out.   I can see where this is going to be a problem, however, if they make it mandatory when a buyer is interested in multiple purchases. 

Basically, I think it is being enacted to take action on another problem.  Newbie sellers are plagued with problems related to the "make offer" feature and the typical "text me" scammers (do a board search for text me scammer).   The seller gets an offer, accepts, only to find out the "buyer" wants to communicate off eBay with the intention of sending a fake payment notice to the seller,  instead of actually buying the product.  

As a result, even if the seller does not fall for the scam, their item is tied up for days while the non-paying process is playing out.  

With any "new" eBay program, there is usually unsavory consequences.  I believe yours is going to be the main one.  I appreciate you brining up the issue!  I was wondering when they announced the plans for this if it would be something the seller could choose, or not.  Apparently, not. 

Message 10 of 122
latest reply

@imapaqrat wrote:

As a Power Buyer, I can tell you this will drastically affect my purchases.

IMHO: Shortsighted of sellers.  If a buyer doesn't pay, you block them and move on.  Punish the NPBs, not all buyers.

You block them and move on to the next non-payer.

It also gives some more protection to new sellers; now, they accept an offer and then get the fake payment email.

Message 11 of 122
latest reply

As a seller, I am hoping I can opt out of this New Feature.

Message 12 of 122
latest reply

@imapaqrat wrote:

As a seller, I am hoping I can opt out of this New Feature.

I did some brief poking around and don't see anything in any settings that would allow a seller to either proactively opt in *or* out of this, but that is likely just because it appears to be a very limited test at this point.

tyler@ebay  any idea if this is going to be an optional feature for sellers or will this just be an across the board change to how business is done on eBay?

Message 13 of 122
latest reply

@snap-a-pl8 wrote:

STUPID!

No offense, but that's basically asking a seller to "hold" an item for you for 3 days. In the interim, the seller loses the ability to offer the item to another party, all the while wondering if they're ever going to actually get paid (and they often don't).

There's no other reputable marketplace, online or otherwise, that allows buyers to place an item on a completely free, no obligation hold for up to 4 days, while they decide if they want to pay for it. This is unheard of in this day and age - Walmart has done away with their layaway program, and even that required a down payment.

While I agree that making offers and winning auctions without having to pay for several days has been an unprecedented convenience for buyers over the last 20+ years on eBay, it's severely outdated and creates an unnecessary burden on sellers.  

Message 14 of 122
latest reply

NOoooooooo,,,,,,,not unless they offer me to pay with my preferred method of payment I won't make offers! I want to be able to pay with my credit card through PayPal for the extra level of protection. If eBay has a way of auto-detecting that's how you normally pay and offer that then I will be fine with it. 

On the seller view I would be happy to know that offers are guaranteed to be paid if accepted. No more disappearing buyers. I would be happy if they automatically paid for my item when I win. When you place a bid or make an offer there should be a pop-up that makes you select how it is paid and says you if you win payment will be automatic. TALK about sending the scammers scampering! 

Message 15 of 122
latest reply