cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticity guarantee is a scam

This program is terrible.  eBay makes it look like the authenticity guarantee is there to help you, but really what it does is make it impossible to contact the seller or return an item even if there are legitimate concerns.  Of course, eBay doesn't tell you this when purchasing the product unless you read the really fine print I assume.  Just don't purchase sneakers through eBay anymore.  Anyone who does just risks getting scammed.  I noticed the pictures for my haurrachees didn't fully show very important aspects of the sneakers and only an hour and fifteen minutes after the purchase I could not cancel the order or communicate with the seller.  Total scam.  They just took my money and processed the transaction.  Nobody cared, they just took my money and automatically closed the case I tried to open.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Authenticity guarantee is a scam

@chrischrebet wrote:

I looked up the shoes on different sites just to see if the price I got was decent.  It was, but I quickly realized the pictures on eBay leave out extremely important aspects of the shoes.  Mainly, the entire top of the shoe that has blatant neon green colors.  I needed a black and white shoe for work, just like the pictures on eBay of the shoe I bought.  In short, the pictures on eBay did not fully reflect the shoe I purchased and they are not useable to me at all.  I got screwed.  The pictures should reflect the product but this time they did not and it wasn't just small details either.  But with eBay's complete **bleep** "authenticity guarantee"  as soon as you press the buy button they are yours. No contacting the seller, no refunds, period.  Again, I got completely screwed.  I hate Ebay's authenticity guarantee.

If you think pictures on a listing are inadequate, your solution is to either ask for more pictures, ask questions, or hit the back button. Even without the Authenticity Guarantee you wouldn't have been able to claim the shoes were not as described and return them for a refund. 

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

Yes, totally not what I thought I was buying from the pictures.  All other sites show better pictures.  This seller didn't.  Still, not allowed to communicate with the seller or return the item.  I'm still **bleep** six months later. 

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

@chrischrebet wrote:

I couldn't, they were not in the pictures at all.  I noticed it from more legitimate pictures on another site. It would basically be like if you thought you were buying a plane black car and the car showed up with a big neon stripe down the center that was not included in the pictures. That's what happens with my sneakers.  Totally sucks.

such is the authentication supposedly do check the listing to see if they are as stated: you claim could be the fraud for all I, and eBay know.

Seek legal advise on your problems or forget em.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

The important aspects were totally NOT included in the sellers listing.  My black and white shoes for work had a bunch of neon green on them but not included in the pictures.  I'm out $115.  I promise my grievance was totally justified.  I tried contacting eBay within hours after the purchase and they basically just said "screw you".  They gave me the runaround about being able to return them later which turned out not to be true and they wouldn't let me communicate with the seller. I've been duped.  It sucks.

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

You seem to have a lot of issues on eBay.  Perhaps online shopping is not for you.  Or try a different site.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

No bud, I buy thousands of things online each year.  My issue is just with Ebays authenticity guarantee and as it screwed me with this one purchase when the shoes were not like the pictures.  Believe me, the authenticity guarantee can completely screw you.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Legal advise out forget it?  No I don't think so.  I'm just going to keep posting about it online for the rest of my life instead. I got completely screwed and I'm not going to forget it and I'm not going to confine my problems with eBay's authenticity guarantee to a consultation with a lawyer. I'll just keep posting about it and posting about it and posting about it. I got screwed! It can happen to you too! 🙂

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

@chrischrebet wrote:

Legal advise out forget it?  No I don't think so.  I'm just going to keep posting about it online for the rest of my life instead. I got completely screwed and I'm not going to forget it and I'm not going to confine my problems with eBay's authenticity guarantee to a consultation with a lawyer. I'll just keep posting about it and posting about it and posting about it. I got screwed! It can happen to you too! 🙂

Sorry:  not me.  I don't purchase stuff going though some authentication I do NOT know.

Consider such folks doing so (well board rule read such I can not say)..........

As for getting ripped of on eBay I am an old timer: it can happen..

The old moto buyer beware is still as good today as it was way back when on eBay, and the Internets.

They can try and say it is a safe place to buy, (it was worse way back when); and try and make folks believe it...

But truth is it is never a safe place to sell on or buy on.

Most transactions do go well, but some do not.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

How am I supposed to ask for more pictures of an aspect that I don't know is there? Should I have asked for pictures at night time too, just to be sure the shoes don't glow in the dark?  I think you get what I'm saying...  The pictures were misleading at best. Not that the shoe wasn't the exact shoe claimed to be, just that I don't think I should have to do research on other sites to purchase an item from a misleading listing.  It's like if you purchased a shoe with a clown glued to the side, but that clown wasn't in the pictures...   Ps:  I hope you don't ever receive a sneaker with a clown glued to the side because eBay's authenticity guarantee won't let you communicate with the seller or return it. 🙂

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

How am I supposed to ask for pictures of something that I don't know is there? It would be like if you ordered a pair of sneakers with a clown glued to the side of the sneaker that wasn't in the pictures. Should you have asked for a picture of the clown that you didn't know was there? Lol I think you get my point. I got screwed.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

@chrischrebet wrote:

How am I supposed to ask for pictures of something that I don't know is there? It would be like if you ordered a pair of sneakers with a clown glued to the side of the sneaker that wasn't in the pictures. Should you have asked for a picture of the clown that you didn't know was there? Lol I think you get my point. I got screwed.

I have no doubt you got taken. Not new. What did you pay for said item with shipping and tax??

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

$115...   And when Google started popping up ads of the same shoe I just purchased with more revealing pictures I contacted eBay immediately to try to cancel the order and they lied to me. They told me it had to go to the authenticator first and that I can process the return from there without it ever getting shipped to me. That's not what happened. Once at the authenticator they would not let me contact them or the seller or cancel or return the item. They wouldn't let me contact the seller or cancel the item once I received the shoes. I found a back way to contact the seller and they just said no returns...   

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

@chrischrebet wrote:

How am I supposed to ask for more pictures of an aspect that I don't know is there? Should I have asked for pictures at night time too, just to be sure the shoes don't glow in the dark?  I think you get what I'm saying...  The pictures were misleading at best. Not that the shoe wasn't the exact shoe claimed to be, just that I don't think I should have to do research on other sites to purchase an item from a misleading listing.  It's like if you purchased a shoe with a clown glued to the side, but that clown wasn't in the pictures...   Ps:  I hope you don't ever receive a sneaker with a clown glued to the side because eBay's authenticity guarantee won't let you communicate with the seller or return it. 🙂

I wouldn't receive a sneaker with a clown glued to the side (although that actually sounds like my kind of shoe). That's because if I saw a listing with pictures that didn't show every side of the shoe -- top, bottom, both sides, and bottom -- I'd either ask for pictures that did or research the shoe online to find more accurate pictures. Since you admit you found pictures online after the fact that showed the green, you obviously could have accessed them before you made the purchase. 

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Something similar happened  to me. The seller sent me a busted pair of Taxi 12s that were obviously not the same shoes pictured in the listing. I uploaded a plethora of pictures clearly showing that as well. eBay pretty much told me that the sale was final and they couldn't help. I will never use eBay for sneakers again

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Yeah it is a scam.

Message 30 of 33
latest reply