cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else furious about ebay's new "pre-checkout" before bidding?

I had put a bid on an item a few days ago, just like always.

Today it was down to the last few minutes, and I was excited to put my maximum bid in. . .

But unbeknownst to me ebay now requires you to "pre-checkout" (enter all your payment info) before bidding.

I didn't have enough time to go and buy a new Ebay gift card so the item sold for a pittance.

Good job ebay you lost some money!

Ebay didn't bother to notify me of this new "pre-checkout" requirement.

having to "pre-checkout" for every single item I bid on is just asinine.

Is slow and tedious.

I mean I only win like 5% of the auctions I bid on.

This does not save me time instead of having a cart of 25 items I won to pay for at once, I need to "pre-checkout" for each one.

It's just not even worth the time for something I probably won't win anyway.

And to add insult to injury sellers can't even send you an altered invoice for combined shipping, since ebay just takes your money before they can do it.

So you end up having to pay the full amount and then wait for the seller to issue you a refund.

I know some of you are just going to post it's because of non paying bidders, you're wrong.

It's just another excuse for ebay to glom onto money faster and then hold on to it for longer before eventually paying the seller in it's own sweet time as usual.

I wish they hadn't axed the ability to be paid with paypal it's just been one problem after another since they did that.

If you're seriously **bleep** off about this "pre-checkout" like me, please chime in!

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Yes, it is totally ridiculous to make bidders put in all their info on how they want to be charged when they are bidding on many items from the same seller, who combines shipping.   This is a hassle for bidders and a hassle for sellers.  

If ebay wanted to do something that would have worked, they should have just had buyers put a credit card on file and when they win something the card automatically gets charged 24 hours AFTER the auction ended.  This way it gives the seller 24 hours to get a combined shipping invoice out to the bidder after multiple wins.

The more ebay does to try and FIX things, the more difficult they make things for everyone.    Now, more than likely auctions are going to take a huge hit because of the combined shipping issue.   Ebay's own fault.

Message 2 of 52
latest reply

This is the worst change I have ever seen on eBay, I'm used to consolidating orders in one payment for flexible payment options, often waiting for a week's orders to combine shipping with a seller's listings over time, never ever not paid for something I won in 25+ years on this site.  It MUST be reversed immediately or I will be largely done with the site.

Message 3 of 52
latest reply

@notavailableinstores wrote:
If ebay wanted to do something that would have worked, they should have just had buyers put a credit card on file and when they win something the card automatically gets charged 24 hours AFTER the auction ended.  This way it gives the seller 24 hours to get a combined shipping invoice out to the bidder after multiple wins.

24 hours is ridiculous too. I have sellers that allow me to win items for up to 3 weeks. I couldn't even imagine winning multiple items, getting an updated invoice, and completing payment within 24 hours.

Message 4 of 52
latest reply

As both a seller and buyer on Ebay, I kinda understand it, but I don't like it either. The reason for it is so the seller actually gets paid when someone buys, but I think it will also hurt sellers. I can understand it being this way for offers and buy it now, but not for auctions. I was bidding on an item and just went to up my max bid amount and was told I needed to put in payment method. I don't always use the same payment method for everything and changing payment methods all the time seems dumb with this setup. I've wrote to Ebay ,as I'm sure many of you have, that I hate this and will not be buying through auction listings anymore. 

Message 5 of 52
latest reply

If I see this box
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Ebay-requesting-payment-method-when-submitting-an-offer/m-p/339...
when I'm trying to place a bid, I'm done buying on ebay.

@tempocrazed wrote:

As both a seller and buyer on Ebay, I kinda understand it, but I don't like it either. The reason for it is so the seller actually gets paid when someone buys, but I think it will also hurt sellers. I can understand it being this way for offers and buy it now, but not for auctions. I was bidding on an item and just went to up my max bid amount and was told I needed to put in payment method. I don't always use the same payment method for everything and changing payment methods all the time seems dumb with this setup. I've wrote to Ebay ,as I'm sure many of you have, that I hate this and will not be buying through auction listings anymore. 

Message 6 of 52
latest reply

@cresco007 

Not sure if someone already pointed it out, but I do not believe EBay will allow you to use a gift card as the payment method in the "pre-check out" scenario...

Message 7 of 52
latest reply

@tempocrazed,

"As both a seller and buyer on Ebay, I kinda understand it, but I don't like it either. The reason for it is so the seller actually gets paid when someone buys, but I think it will also hurt sellers. I can understand it being this way for offers and buy it now, but not for auctions. I was bidding on an item and just went to up my max bid amount and was told I needed to put in payment method".

Go to your buyer requirements page and scroll down past the usual ones to the new payment requirements. You will find that they are checked so that anyone bidding on your auctions or making offers, will have to prefill the payment info before bidding or making offers.  eBay did not tell sellers they were doing that.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 52
latest reply

@cresco007 

"I wish they hadn't axed the ability to be paid with paypal it's just been one problem after another since they did that".

PayPal is still an accepted payment option buyers can use. eBay just does not send payments to PayPal accounts for sellers any longer.

"If you're seriously **bleep** off about this "pre-checkout" like me, please chime in!"

There are dozens of posts by people who do not like the change on this board.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 52
latest reply

Yes, seems a lot of people hate it lol. Hopefully Ebay will see this and change things, but I don't have much hope. They seem to care less and less about their customers and make changes without letting people know. I was wanting to bid on multiple items a seller had listed that were ending close together and then request a total for combined shipping. I got the same notice from ebay that I had to prepay when I attempted to bid on the first on. No, I'm not doing that and paying separate shipping for each item I win when combined shipping makse sense. That would be insane.

Message 10 of 52
latest reply

Sometime I am making offers or buying multiple items and the seller will work with me on shipping. or change ship to a different method for me that is not in the auction listing. This takes away that opportunity.

I'm finding many of the same things on Amazon now. I hate being strongarmed

Message 11 of 52
latest reply

Yes, I don't like it. It stopped me from bidding, right away.

I don't like this UP FRONT stuff. First it started with the offers. Now bidding? NOW I put my foot down, and say NO, not anymore.

Message 12 of 52
latest reply

I simply refuse to bid on any more items with the new pre checkout system.  I have been with them for almost 20 years and they have lost me as a customer

Message 13 of 52
latest reply

Horrible! And if you buy multiple items from same seller you pay tax and shipping on each item as combined shipping wouldn’t work.

Message 14 of 52
latest reply

Plus ebay has many glitches and often over the years here in CA they've added the $5 CA ewaste fee to electronics in the "For parts not working" and the "Used" categories. The fee is meant for New or Mfg. refurbished items only. I've had to cancel many orders with sellers over the years due to this glitch. The few I paid it took me months to get my money back and many buyers who paid it were never able to get their refunds. So for me, I will never allow auto-pay without being able to review the invoice first, period.

Message 15 of 52
latest reply