cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another copied listing expensive, recently sold item, appears for sale by new seller (0) sales.

So, I won one of two auctions for expensive, artistic finish fishing reels last year.  The item I won was then offered for sale a couple months later by a zero sales new seller who copied the listing but obviously didn't have the reel (I reported it, it was removed).  The auction I didn't win has just now also been offered for sale by yet another zero sales seller who copied the listing.On this current item, I messaged the seller that his listing was identical to a prior sold listing, and to please provide a current photo.  No reply.  I reported it (fraudulent listing practices) but, this time, the listing remains.  Comments?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Another copied listing expensive, recently sold item, appears for sale by new seller (0) sales.

How long since you reported it?

Maybe this seller is legit and has the reel.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: Another copied listing expensive, recently sold item, appears for sale by new seller (0) sales.

@stevescho,

I think you got lucky the last time and were one of several individuals who reported the first listing.  Why would you give a scammer a warning that someone recognizes their scam?  Maybe they reported you for some reason or yours is the only report. eBay has never reacted to just one individual's report before that I know of even with solid proof of a coped listing.  Then of course since ebay just laid of about 9% of their work force, there may be fewer people checking reports of fraudulent listings.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I reported it (fraudulent listing practices) but, this time, the listing remains.

@stevescho 

Reporting is apparently now reviewed by a bot (that can't read or interpret photos).  You can expect to get an auto response of:

We looked into your report and didnt find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence.

Some have said there is an appeal button on this notification, but that it is a dead link. 

Copying another seller's photos and text on eBay is no longer considered a policy violation.  When we see a new Zero feedback seller who registered three days ago selling high end products (with apparently no selling limits copied from another listing or website), it is cause for concern same as the price to good to be true concept. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I did get an auto reply, but not that one... anyway, I will follow-up when the auction ends, and report if there is feedback. I predict a scam, seller doesn't have this item, is looking to steal money after delivering empty box to different address in same zip code as winning bidder.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Listing was removed, seller ID deleted, before end of auction. A likely scam.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply