cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I now permanently opted into automatic payments for auctions?

I recently made a best offer on an item and it asked for a payment method which I clicked on and then I received a message in my e-mail with the title: Thanks for selecting a payment method for Best Offer and Auctions!      It then said something like I authorize Ebay to use these payment details to collect payment for best offers and auctions.    Does this mean from now on whenever I win a auction I will be automatically billed for them and not have the option to manually pay for them?   If so is this reversible? I would like to pay the old way as I sometimes win multiple items and want the seller to combine shipping charges or use a different credit card.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Am I now permanently opted into automatic payments for auctions?

Seller's can opt out  on the make a offer  with payment required   also  if  seller's sends a offer  it turns off the IPR  .

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

If you are in it you will need to go to your  seller  section  to  buyer  requirements to opt out .

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

@paulrowlands wrote:

"Sellers have the right to be paid." nobody is suggesting not paying.

Plus sellers don't pay fees if they raise a non-payer dispute, so the "very expensive" comment doesn't really hold water; inconvenienced yes, but that's about it.

It's a choice, though: if the seller imposes that on me, then I won't bid, so the seller loses.

Beware of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Yes so many buyers don't which is exactly why this problem exists and the solution was given by Ebay for sellers to use or not to use, seller choice.

I get it that most buyers are good and honest people.  Just as most transactions go off without a hitch on Ebay.  But there are enough buyers that cause payment issues that it is a real and present issue for sellers.  And it costs sellers real money when it happens.  I get it that you don't agree, but that doesn't make me any less correct.

Ebay fees have nothing to do with the expense of a non paying bidders.  Sellers know this.  Ebay doesn't charge selling fees until the item is actually paid for by the buyer.

With that said some of the real issues for a seller can be time off the market.  Lets say we are talking about an auction.  It had a few bidders, the winning bidder never paid.  The seller has to wait 96 hours after the purchase to file a Cancellation for non payment by the buyer.  So the seller may try to issue a Second Chance Offer to the next highest bidder.  Often too late because they have moved on and found what they want somewhere else.  So the seller ran [assuming] a 7 day auction, waited 4 days for payment and ended up still having the item in inventory after 11 days.  They now need to relist the auctions and hope the outcome will not be the same.  So the seller waits another week minimally to see what happens.

Then there are those things being sold that may be time sensitive or something needed for a specific timeframe, like Christmas.  You add a couple of weeks onto being able to sell something will likely cost that seller the sell until some period after Christmas.

And there are other things that maybe others can chime in on that cost the seller.  It is important to recognized something that is often forgotten, the seller's time.  It is not worthless.  It too has value just like the buyers time does.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 44
latest reply

I don't have an issue with auto pay at the end of an auction. eBay was always the exception to the norm on this.

What appears to be missing (or I haven't found it yet) is the option to choose a shipping address for individual purchases. I don't have a single address that I use. Low value items get shipped to my home while high value items or things that can be damaged by stuffing them into a mailbox are shipped to my office, and gifts are shipped to the recipient. I may even have multiple purchases from the same seller shipped to different addresses....this one's for me....this is my son.....this is for my other son....etc.

This seems easy enough to solve by placing a checkout style page where buyers can choose the payment method and address, somewhere before the bid screen, that will be used for THAT item in the event they win.

To just use a single payment method and address for everything doesn't make sense....or I haven't found it yet.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

Another option might be to process the auto pay within 24 hours rather than immediately. That would give buyers and sellers the time to address things like shipping address, payment method and combined shipping.

Reading other threads on this topic and there are issues with some types of items and combined shipping. Items like sports cards, comics, coins, postcards.....basically small items that buyers often buy several of at a time and can be easily combined.....are seeing buyers charged full shipping on each item rather than shipping for the order because buyers are charged automatically as soon as each auction ends. 

VintageCarMagazines

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

@vintage-car-magazines wrote:

I don't have an issue with auto pay at the end of an auction. eBay was always the exception to the norm on this.

What appears to be missing (or I haven't found it yet) is the option to choose a shipping address for individual purchases. I don't have a single address that I use. Low value items get shipped to my home while high value items or things that can be damaged by stuffing them into a mailbox are shipped to my office, and gifts are shipped to the recipient. I may even have multiple purchases from the same seller shipped to different addresses....this one's for me....this is my son.....this is for my other son....etc.

This seems easy enough to solve by placing a checkout style page where buyers can choose the payment method and address, somewhere before the bid screen, that will be used for THAT item in the event they win.

To just use a single payment method and address for everything doesn't make sense....or I haven't found it yet.

@vintage-car-magazines 

You can have multiple Ship To addresses set up on your account.  You can also select / enter a new one when you are creating your payment for an item.

But to set them up.  

Go to your Site Preferences

https://www.ebay.com/uas/selling-pref

Then Personal Information

Then to Addresses

On the right you will see you have several types of addresses.  For your needs, select Ship To addresses and enter all the addresses you want.  You will also need to select one as your Primary.  So I suggest selecting the address you use most often as your Primary.

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

Another option might be to process the auto pay within 24 hours rather than immediately. That would give buyers and sellers the time to address things like shipping address, payment method and combined shipping.

Reading other threads on this topic and there are issues with some types of items and combined shipping. Items like sports cards, comics, coins, postcards.....basically small items that buyers often buy several of at a time and can be easily combined.....are seeing buyers charged full shipping on each item rather than shipping for the order because buyers are charged automatically as soon as each auction ends. 

The buyer addresses the ship to address at the time they select what payment option they want to use when submitting the bid on an auction or extending an offer to a seller.  Changing a ship to address AFTER a payment has been made is never in the Seller's best interest.  If a seller allows a buyer to email them and change the ship to address, that seller will lose their Seller Protection because they did not ship to the address on the Payment Notification.

So a seller would have to cancel the transaction, refund the buyer, relist the item and cross their fingers the buyer would repurchase it and submit the payment with the correct ship to address.

Message 37 of 44
latest reply

Right. I have several set up but it seems the auto pay defaults to the primary address. I don't see an option on an auction by auction basis to select an address.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

The buyer addresses the ship to address at the time they select what payment option they want to use when submitting the bid on an auction or extending an offer to a seller.  Changing a ship to address AFTER a payment has been made is never in the Seller's best interest.  If a seller allows a buyer to email them and change the ship to address, that seller will lose their Seller Protection because they did not ship to the address on the Payment Notification.

So a seller would have to cancel the transaction, refund the buyer, relist the item and cross their fingers the buyer would repurchase it and submit the payment with the correct ship to address.

Perhaps I didn't explain well enough.

I bid on auctions and when I win the auto pay kicks in, processes the payment and uses the payment method and shipping address that was chosen some time in the past (I think for an offer i submitted a few months ago). I don't get an option for payment method or shipping address when I place a bid. If uses the default options.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

Right. I have several set up but it seems the auto pay defaults to the primary address. I don't see an option on an auction by auction basis to select an address.

Yes it would as that is the purpose of having a primary address set up.  That doesn't mean you can't change it, because you can.

When you bid on an auction or extend an offer to a seller, if you are required to give payment info when you submit your bid or send the offer, watch your screen closely.  While it will default to certain info, there is the option to change the info at that time.  But once you submit the bid or send the offer, you can't change it after that.

Message 40 of 44
latest reply

Thanks...I found it. While it's there, eBay could do a much better job making it more prominent and obvious....a step in the process rather than a footnote.

I'm a long time eBay user, former seller, and fairly tech savvy. I use multiple software daily from accounting software to photoshop. If it's a mystery to me, it's going to go unnoticed by most.

I appreciate your help.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 41 of 44
latest reply

Thanks...I found it. While it's there, eBay could do a much better job making it more prominent and obvious....a step in the process rather than a footnote.

I'm a long time eBay user, former seller, and fairly tech savvy. I use multiple software daily from accounting software to photoshop. If it's a mystery to me, it's going to go unnoticed by most.

I appreciate your help.

I'm glad I could help you.  I would however disagree about users not knowing they can change the ship to address.  But for you, now you are aware and that really is what matters so you can take care of things as you need to for yourself.  😍

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

I bid on auctions and when I win the auto pay kicks in, processes the payment and uses the payment method and shipping address that was chosen some time in the past (I think for an offer i submitted a few months ago). I don't get an option for payment method or shipping address when I place a bid. If uses the default options. 

When you discover @vintage-car-magazines that you may now be in the select group

-- that has 3 days after the first auction win or offer accepted

-- to change both your shipping address and your payment method

-- before the delayed autopay kicks in

-- so that you can request a combined shipping discount

will you come back and let us know?

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

@nenu-5410 wrote:

When you discover @vintage-car-magazines that you may now be in the select group

-- that has 3 days after the first auction win or offer accepted

-- to change both your shipping address and your payment method

-- before the delayed autopay kicks in

-- so that you can request a combined shipping discount

will you come back and let us know?

@nenu-5410 

There are no longer "select groups".  Ebay is rolling this out to everyone.  IDK when the roll out will be complete, but likely within the next few weeks.

Message 44 of 44
latest reply