cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I covered by the money back guarantee

I recently bought an item off of eBay (it was over 700$) and the seller didn't accept Paypal payments so I was brought to an eBay payment screen where I entered my credit card information to pay for the item. The item is marked as shipped, however, this was on a Sunday so it seened suspicious. Also they don't respond to my messages when I ask them for a tracking number. Also after they accepted my offer, the item listing was taken down by ebay that same night. This seems like a few red flags and I just want to know if I'm still protected by a money back guarantee if the item never comes or the seller deletes their account.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Am I covered by the money back guarantee

In  your situation, I would not worry about what any of us have to say, I would contact eBay directly tell them what happened so they can look at this transaction and advise you on what to do. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

How were you "brought" there?  If the Pay Now button on the website led you to the screen, you should be OK.  Sellers can take credit cards through their merchant accounts with an eBay approved internet gateway, and items paid for that way are covered.

On the other hand if the seller sent you a link to pay, the payment you authorized there for the price may be the least of your worries.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

It sounds like you made the purchase separate from ebay. Ebay doesn't offer the money back guarantee unless you made the purchase through Ebay.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@juliebuechs

Call eBay ASAP, and ask if they see the payment made through eBay checkout. 

If it was, you are covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee. Since the listing has been removed, eBay should be able to get the refund started.

If it wasn't, call the phone number on your credit card immediately to not only dispute the charge, but to report that you may have given your card information to a crook.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@juliebuechswrote:

I recently bought an item off of eBay (it was over 700$) and the seller didn't accept Paypal payments so I was brought to an eBay payment screen where I entered my credit card information to pay for the item.

The item is marked as shipped, however, this was on a Sunday so it seened suspicious.

That's the same terminology you used in your other thread and it doesn't really tell us much.  Did this screen look the same as other times you checked out and paid for things?  It is still possible for unscrupulous sellers to spoof a payment screen.

Is the seller still active with current listings?  If so, what does their FB look like?  Sometimes an item or two will be taken down, but in other cases the whole account will be suspended.

Shipping on Sunday is the least suspicious thing here.  Many sellers do that.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@juliebuechs,

You have posted 3 topics about the same subject. Instead of creating new topics, reply to  the others and add information as it is requested.

Did you try to contact the seller before the listing was pulled, or after getting the message? Is the item still in your purchase history?  If it is not you still have the seller's ID in your sent messages folder.  If it is there (eBay messages > Sent) make note of their ID.

Google or Search,  ebay customer support phone number.  Call them shortly after 8:30am PDT.  That is the best chance of reaching a US based rep.  If you get a rep with a heavy accent, keep trying intil you get a US based one.  Carefully tell them what happened, and ask if just the listing, or the seller also has been removed. If they haven't been removed ask if they have a Registered Merchant account?  If they do not, then tell the rep you were directed to an off ebay site to pay. 

Once you fnish your call with them.  Contact your card provider. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@couldabeenworsewrote:

@juliebuechs

Call eBay ASAP, and ask if they see the payment made through eBay checkout. 

If it was, you are covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee. Since the listing has been removed, eBay should be able to get the refund started.

If it wasn't, call the phone number on your credit card immediately to not only dispute the charge, but to report that you may have given your card information to a crook.

You can request a new card and number.  They should do that automatically, and tell you that they are, but just in case.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you check the seller's feedback before purchase??

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If a tracking number can up on sunday yes some sellers pack stuff sundays. what is the handling time on the listing if it is two days they are not even late shipping it yet. some sellers go to post office or ups evey two or three days. To be screaming two biz days after a tracking go's up is a little foolish.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

It's not foolish if the listing disappeared from their purchase history or if ebay took the listing down.  It's smart to see something isn't right and to take precautions just in case and do something immediately instead of a week or more later.  The BIG thing the OP is worried about is if they have buyer protection.  The only way to find that out is to CALL EBAY.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply