cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass Buttons History

I'm back into the loop of the Czech Glass button issues. I would like to add another layer in the Czech debate. I really think you need to understand Czech history to understand glass making in general, which included the production of buttons. I have read several history books on Czech in general and would divide it into 4 different time periods. Remember button making is just a small industry comparing it to the other glass manufactures, such as in the industrial arena. First period is prior to 1918, when Czech was under the influence and rule of several countries, such as Germany and Austria. According to one of my favorite books (Baubles, Buttons and Beads - The Heritage of Bohemia), glass making in general has been in the Bohemia area for 10 centuries. The book indicates there were two groups: the German Bohemians and the Czech Bohemians. This book really shows how closely related the Czechs and Germans are in this area. We all know about the Bohemia crystal, but this region (even today) produced buttons, beads, vases, etc. I also read that Britain imported black buttons from Bohemia during the Victorian area and this made sense to me. So, when you ask if you can tell the difference between German and Czech buttons, I think the answer is no particularly to this time period. Friends who have visit some museums in Europe have seen displays with very lovely Art Nouveau influence buttons (Art Nouveau movement was influenced by nature; to contradict the industrial revolution) made from Czech glass. How did the museum know, I couldn't’t tell you. According to National Button Society this is the time period defined as old or antiques. The second time period is between 1918 and 1938, when Czechoslovakia, for the first time, had obtain their freedom between the two world wars. During this time period you have the influence of Art Deco, which was the fashion at that time. Most of the glass makers during this time period were what is called cottage producers (they were small capitalist business). These are what you called vintage buttons. Remember, buttons reflect the fashion of this time period. I think you almost have to study fashion to understand button production. The third time period is between 1939 and 1981, when Czechoslovakia Republic was under the influence of the Soviet Union. I read a history book from the library about this time period, which pertains the influence of Russia centralizing everything, including the glass manufactures. The cottage producers were put out of business, because no one owned a business, only the state. So, I would believe the Czech were producing products for communism and wonder why would they be exporting to the free world at this time, if they were even aloud. The book stated that quality of glass production were bad during this time period. I think you can understand why. The fourth time period (1981 to present) is when Czechoslovakia Republic gain freedom from Soviet Union and divides into the Czech Republic and Slovak Republic. Looking at a current map you can see the Bohemia area is part of Czech Republic. At this time the centralized glass concept was abandon and the property was converted back to the original owner. The cottage glass industry was started again and one of them is HGLASS, which you can find on the internet through a search engine. I know Thomas does tours of his factory and the National Button Society has a Video of this tour, well at least the Colorado State Button Society has one. Now, here is where the problem comes in on identifying new and old buttons, because the old molds have been found and Czech Republic is masterfully manufacturing new buttons with these old molds. However, there are also new molds being commissioned. These buttons are simply beautiful, being old or new; I love them and enjoy them. One thing I have learn is that black moonglow buttons are no longer being manufactured, because the canes are not made any longer since they contain hazardous material. So, if you find a black moonglow - you probably have button made during the 1918 – 1938 time period. This is my option. Being an almost newbie at button collecting, I know I will not afford the old buttons. Therefore, I think the Czechs are doing me a favor by producing these new treasures. This is the challenge of button collecting. Even the information given to you today, some one might come up with better historical information to either confirm it is correct or not. I am reading another library book called “Glass – A world history”. I know that I might even have another perspective on glass after I finish it. Thanks – Linda at The Responder
Linda Falkenthal
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Glass Buttons History

A fabulous place to buy Czech buttons

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AddVintage?section_id=6887265

Thank you for your commentary. Very educational.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply