cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

facsimile dust jackets

I would like to get some feedback from the group on the controversial subject of facsimile dust jackets. With regard to whether or not they add value to a book and whether or not they should be avoided at all costs. I have a large collection of old novels, many are classic that were purchased from an estate and lack dust jackets. I see now that I am able to purchase facsimile dust jackets for several of them. I have added a few of those books to my personal collection and I would like to purchase facsimile dust jackets for them for the aesthetic value. If I were to decide to purchase them for books I am selling, I would make every effort to insure that any prospective buyers were aware that the dust jackets were facsimiles. I would like to get opinions on whether or not this would be ethical and help to sell the books or would it be a turn-off to collectors. Thanks!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: facsimile dust jackets

Lludwig,

That would be neat. My parents kept my old matchbox and hot wheels cars in their basement and i gave them to my son when he was 4 or 5.
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@bookthink wrote:

If you're looking for a recommendation, I'd give Mark Terry at Facsimile Dust Jackets LLC a shot. His images are digitally remastered to a fault, and the printing itself is professional. 

Second the recommendation. He does great work, and the jackets are clearly marked as facsimiles so no one will be ever be confused down the line.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

A while back I found a first edition, second printing of the AA big book without a DJ. I did purchase a facsimile jacket, clearly marked as such, for the book. I do think the jacket helped the book move more quickly then it would have otherwise. The nice thing about it, if the purchaser really doesn't want it or finds a real jacket later they can always remove it with no damage to the book. Or they could have if I hadn't super-glued it to the book's cover. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

I'm bringing this thread to the forefront because I'd like to hear more about others' experiences in using facsimile jackets.  

I've  never bought one before to use on a book for resale, but I'm considering purchasing a $22 (marked) facsimile jacket for my first edition copy of John Steinbeck's Burning Bright.   My instincts are that the addition of the jacket will bring more value to the book than the price of the jacket, especially since the jacket is so visually striking compared to the plain book binding. 

Any personal accounts are welcome!

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Hi Michele,

I've done this twice now, both in the last year.

The GWTW I mentioned above cost $142 including the price of the DJ.  It came with some other GWTW related items that generated a small amount and I sold the book for $325 in, I think, less than 6 months after listing.

A third edition Hemingway In Our Time cost me $60 including DJ, sold within 3 months for $225.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Okay, I'm convinced now.  Thanks for sharing your experiences, Shak.  I plan to purchase the fascmile DJ.

Although I've had other books with facsimile jackets, it's because they came with them already ... I've never actually purchased one.  

So this will be interesting!

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I have seen and bought a number of different types of facsimile dust jackets over the years. The best type are like the one made by Mark Terry that are clearly marked on the front flap. They have also been completley restored and made to look as new. The worst type are those that have been aged and made to look as much as possible like an old dust jacket. I have even seen some where small chips have been removed from the cover to mimic the places damaged on the original jacket that was copied. This is only done to deceive the buyer, and it is never a good thing. I once had a man bring in a collection of Tarzan books in jacket to sell. I quickly realized that the "jackets" were nothing more than color xerox copies that have been chipped where the original jackets were chipped (and they were not marked as facsimilies). In a plastic cover they were good enough to deceive some people. Always look under the plastic covers at dust jackets especially if they look too good to be true. In my opinion the good facsimile jackets do not increase the value of the book beyond the actual cost of the facsimile, but the can make a book easier to sell. I have facsimile jackets on many books in my private collection, and I have even scanned many jackets for Mark Terry to restore. I feel that the facsimile jackets give cheap protection to the books cover, they are informational, and they look great on the shelf.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

I have bought dozens of Mark Terry's jackets with no regrets. Mainly these were for first printings of books where original jackets would have been exorbitantly expensive. Aesthetically pleasing and protect books; no moral quandries as they are not for resale. I also find that the artwork of the jackets complements the books well. Examples: Phantom of the Opera, The Sound and the Fury, and (of course) The Great Gatsby.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Mark Terry is the best!  I have been purchasing from Mark's website for many years for my personal collection of vintage first editions. He returned some time ago from a trip to England and added many lovely British First Edition facsimiles.

They are a definite plus for book collectors, they look great on the shelf!

Message 24 of 24
latest reply