cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

@mmadigan wrote:

Thanks

I always liked Schubert's Unfinished Symphony #8.

Let that be a lesson to all composers - don't fool around, or your symphony may end up unvollendete, and you might end up  gelaufen.

😉

Message 7576 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

811. The first name of which science fiction hero was retitled as 'Speed' in Australia to avoid a negative connotation of the word by which we know him better?

Message 7577 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

811. Hint: The character was created by Alex Raymond.

Message 7578 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Message 7579 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

@rockmaple wrote:

811. Flash Gordon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Gordon

Rockmaple - Flash is the guy!

At the time, the predominant meaning of "flash" was "showy", connoting dishonesty.

Message 7580 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

812. Which history classic that describes the events of the first month of World War I was recommended by President John F. Kennedy to members of his cabinet to help in dealing with the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Message 7581 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

812. I don't have the answer but I found this interesting article about the Cuban Missile Crisis:

https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2012/fall/cuban-missiles.html

Even though we are to keep political discussions off the board, I can't help wondering who among the front runner candidates would be most likely to stay cool in negotiations during the next international crisis.

Message 7582 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I was about to suggest 'All Quiet on the Western Front' but that 'history classic' sounds more like non-fiction.

'The Guns of August' by Barbara W. Tuchman?

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 7583 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Rockmaple - Very interesting article. Thanks for the link which I sent to my brother as well as the Q & A. He is retired military and his second career is military-related. It will be interesting to find out if he ever read the book. I guess that I am not one of "the majority of the generation that lived through it, and subsequent generations, never became emotionally engaged with its potential consequences." I have never forgetten that time and what could have happened. I was 11 years old and many in our extended family had gathered at my one uncle's. I remember standing in his dining room and asking if we were going to have a war. Instead of getting the reassurance of No that I had hoped for, he said, "I don't know." I saw the fear in the eyes of all of the adults - not something I had seen before. 

That article make me think of how some people scoff at what they call 'revisionist history.' Is it really revisionist history when new solid information comes to light and history is rewritten to reflect that info?

As far as your question, let me put my answer this way. I know which one of the front runners is most likely not to stay cool!

Sigmapsidelta - Good thinking re: non-fiction. Guns of August it is!

The focus of the book is to provide the history of World War I from the declaration of war through the start of the Franco-British offensive that stopped the German advance through France. In addition, the book provides a brief history of the plans, strategies, world events and international sentiments prior to and during the war.

The Pulitzer Prize nomination committee was unable to award it the prize for outstanding history because Joseph Pulitzer's will specifically stated that the recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for history must be a book on American history. Instead, Tuchman was given the prize for general non-fiction.

Message 7584 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

313.  Which book by Frantz Fanon was described as 'this is not so much a book as a rock thrown through the windows of the West. It is the Communist Manifesto or the Mein Kampf of the anticolonial revolution ...'?

Message 7585 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

813. Hint: The book was published in 1961.

Question had the wrong number below. Should be 813.

Message 7586 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

813. The Wretched of the Earth By Frantz Fanon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wretched_of_the_Earth

Message 7587 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

@rockmaple wrote:

813. The Wretched of the Earth By Frantz Fanon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wretched_of_the_Earth

Rockmaple - That is the book!

The quote in the question was as described by Time magazine.

The Wretched of the Earth is Frantz Fanon's best-known work, written during and regarding the Algerian struggle for independence from colonial rule. As a psychiatrist, Fanon explored the psychological effect of colonisation on the psyche of a nation as well as its broader implications for building a movement for decolonization. It has become a handbook for political leaders faced with any type of decolonization and is still read in the Pentagon today as advice on dealing with the conflict in Iraq.

Message 7588 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

814. A writer and a photographer were on assignment from Fortune magazine in 1936 and stayed near Greensboro, Alabama for eight-weeks producing what highly regarded photo-journalistic work?

Message 7589 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee (writer) & Walker Evans (photographer)

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2005/09/19/8272885/index.htm

Message 7590 of 7,715
latest reply