cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Did not see lludwig's  last post before I posted my last post. 

Is the discrepancy perhaps due to a difference in the 3rd ( I think 3rd?) edition? 

Message 7156 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Personally, I am fond of Pope's efforts. Alas - I do not have the mentality - the cerebral wiring -  for rote memorization. 'T'was always my bete noir in school - and alack.

In the "Compilers to the Readers" They speak of certain authors, such as Jane Austen, Henry James, and even P. G. Wodehouse, who do not have as much as even a page. They (the compilers) state:  "It would seem that their charm depends on character and atmosphere and that quotability is no real criterion of either popularity or merit in a writer."

Again - personally - I think there is much more to either Austen or James (or many others of worth) beyond "character and atmosphere".

Message 7157 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

ksmrkt, It is probably - almost assuredly - as derived from the third - and from changing tastes. It make much sense that a society that thrives on instantness and currentness and what is new new new  and now now now , should appreciate the beauties of an author who is so accessible to the modern mind through the very brevity of his wit and observation.

The fourth or fifth editions may well quote from the "Idiot's Guide Series" .... or even MADCAPS.

Message 7158 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I'm staggered that Mark Twain didn't make the top ten.

Message 7159 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Just for the record, the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations is presently in its 7th edition (2009) (ISBN-13: 9780199237173). It has over 20000 quotations. There's also the Oxford Dictionary of American Quotations, now in its 2nd edition (2006) (ISBN-13: 9780195168235), with nearly 6000 quotations. Then you have the Oxford Dictionary of Modern Quotations, in its 3rd edition (2008) (ISBN-13: 9780199208951). And the Oxford Dictionary of Political Quotations, in its 4th edition (2012) (ISBN-13: 9780199572687). And the Oxford Dictionary of Scientific Quotations (2006) (ISBN-13: 9780198614432). And the Oxford Dictionary of Humorous Quotations, in its 4th edition (2012) (ISBN-13: 9780199570034). 

Moral: when you find a successful formula, stick with it.

Message 7160 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

You all know that I'm in the UK.  It's hardly surprising that there are more quotations from UK writers than US.  We've been writing for nearly 1500 years.  But the Greeks and Romans and others have been writing even longer.  I'm about to pose a question to which I don't know the answer but would like to.

#744  What is the oldest, verifiable, quotable quote?

Archimedes (200 BC) apparently said, 'Eureka'.  Is it verifiable?  I don't know the answer to the question but look forward to reading your thoughts.

Shameless promotion
"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....
"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 7161 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I've just found a delightful Chinese quote - but I have no idea of its date.

"A book tightly shut is but a block of paper."

Shameless promotion

Message 7162 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Be a craftsman in speech that thou mayest be strong, for the strength of one is the tongue, and speech is mightier than all fighting.
~ Maxims of Ptahhotep, 3400 B.C.

Unless its 'Let There Be Light' which was apparently 604 years earlier.

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 7163 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I've heard it bruited about that the Demi-urge was heard to mutter "Oops",  just after it created the entire cosmos.

Message 7164 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I'd heard that was "Dammit! Not again!"

Bill Hicks says it was "Oh man, I left pot everywhere!"

A preoccupation with the next world is a clear indication of an inability to cope credibly with this one.
Message 7165 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

"Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow¹."

¹Damn!  I have no thumbs.  I must create God, who will create man in His image, so that he can open cans for me." [one picosecond before the Big Bang.²]

²One hour and one picosecond Central Standard Time.

Message 7166 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

I, too, found that particular maxim of Ptahhotep, (who now appears as though floating on the Nile during one of the plagues - I can spell, durn it!), but it quoted a date of about 2400 BC.

As for the poor dog going, "meowmeowmeo ... "  - just one femtosecond later he announced, "This will be weally wuff, vewy wuff!"

Shameless promotion

Message 7167 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

A bump for a fun and informative thread. 

Message 7168 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Thanks.

Liz

Message 7169 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

yep another good one
**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Message 7170 of 7,715
latest reply