cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Funny I will write one while actually seeing the other being written and thinking the other in my mind.
Message 5671 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Funny I will write one while actually seeing the other being written and thinking the other in my mind.

My husband does that, as well as speaking one thing while actually thinking another. It sometimes leads to some humorous outcomes.
Message 5672 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Here is what a typical cover of Cosmopolitan looked like. We sold this some number of months ago for a good price. Scan down the Table of Contents and you will see the Howells story .... now, this is my kind of periodical:

Message 5673 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Do you read them prior to selling?
Message 5674 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Note that not only did Howells take his characters to the Chicago Worlds Fair, Mark Twain sent them there to there also .... Travelling With a Reformer ... Illustrated by Dan Beard to boot. That is the first appearance of the Twain, which, aside from the fair collectability aspect, accounts for the decent price realized. Actually I consider it to be the first edition because it appears complete between two covers. The Howells was, unfortunately a serial.
Message 5675 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Sometimes I do. I at least peruse everything, including advertising and back material.
Message 5676 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Somewhere I have a picture of what the Twain pages look like.
Message 5677 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

That's a good life.
Message 5678 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

564. Hint: 1578
Message 5679 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

564:

googled:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3404707850.html

Gregory Martin (c. 1540-1582) was a Roman Catholic priest and scholar. He was the primary translator of the Douai-Rheims Bible, the first English translation specifically for Catholics. His work has long been heralded as an important contribution to biblical scholarship.

His book A Treatise of Schisme (1578) led to the printer of the book to be charged with treason and executed as it was believed that the text contained a recommendation to assassinate the queen.
Message 5680 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

So if that's correct, I have to find the name of the printer, and why Gregory Martin wasn't executed...
Message 5681 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Carter...
Message 5682 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Gotta give up computer to daughter for homework, but I'm going with William Carter, he was executed because he'd actually put his name to the book stated above, which he usually didn't. So...maybe Gregory Martin's name wasn't on it?

bbl
Message 5683 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

564. Right on the printer and the title, but Martin's name was on it.
Message 5684 of 7,715
latest reply

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

Martin was already dead? :^O:8}
Message 5685 of 7,715
latest reply