cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW RARE IS A FIRST EDITION COPY WITH DUST JACKET OF Goodnight Moon BY Margaret Wise Brown

How rare is this book. Have I stumbled upon another rare treasure? Thanks Aundra.

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: HOW RARE IS A FIRST EDITION COPY WITH DUST JACKET OF Goodnight Moon BY Margaret Wise Brown

The Harper Blue Ribbon label was put on better sellings books. While you will see Blue Ribbon stickers on copies of Charlotte's Web, you will not see one on a First Printing copy dust jacket. The point is that while the jacket on this book is desirerable, it is not a First issue jacket because of the sticker, if not for other reasons.

Message 31 of 93
latest reply

Re: HOW RARE IS A FIRST EDITION COPY WITH DUST JACKET OF Goodnight Moon BY Margaret Wise Brown

What are the other reasons it is not a first edition dust jacket. And do you have an image of a first edition dust jacket without the blue ribbon lable. Because all the other stated first editions that I have seen have the harper blue ribbon sticker or the shadow of it.  Thanks.

https://www.raptisrarebooks.com/product/goodnight-moon-margaret-wise-brown-first-edition/

https://books.google.com/books?id=WFDDCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA97&lpg=PA97&dq=goodnight+moon+by+margaret+wise+b...

https://www.biblio.com/book/goodnight-moon-brown-margaret-wise/d/875709635

Message 32 of 93
latest reply

s-l1600J.jpgThese are from a Web page I have archived from an Ebay listing from October 1915. The seller had recently marked the price down to $2502.50 from $3850.00. I could not say what price the book sold for, or if it ever did sell. You can see this jacket shows no label or stain from a label, although I can't say that I think this jacket is a First issue either. It has the Little Chicken rear flap ad, which I think is a later issue. One reason I think this is later is because jackets from the 1960's have this ad on the rear flap also. I don't think they would change the ad to Fur Family, only to change it back to Little Chicken again at a later date. But then publishers have done stranger things. I think the only way to really know that the jacket is a First is to have the correct $1.75 price on the front flap. And preferably on a copy with an early dated incription. I think that is the only way a copy will bring any price even close to the $25,000 price listed on the copy you mention. As you can see that copy is still unsold. That does not mean that later issues don't have value, but not nearly that much. s-l1600K.jpg

Message 33 of 93
latest reply

Sorry that should say an Ebay listing from 2015.

Message 34 of 93
latest reply

And what else makes this not a first edition dj.

Message 35 of 93
latest reply

Well, the problem with this jacket is that it is rare, especially in the First Issue. I am not sure that anyone can tell you absolutely all of the points of a First edition, First Issue and its dust jacket. One of the big problems with your jacket is that it is price clipped. So you have no way of knowing what the original price was on the jacket. Then you still have some controversy over what should be on the rear flap. If someday someone does list a copy of the book that has the correct price and that was signed by the author at sometime close to the release date, then you will have a much better indicator. Until that time arrives I would hate to pay a large price for the book purely on speculation. And I think the clipped price and the Blue Ribbon sticker would make me shy away from the book unless the price were reasonable. The book is hard to find in any Harper & Brother's jacket, so any copies found will have value, but when they were made over a 16 year period, you assume some are different from others. The collector wants the earliest copy he/she can find, and sometimes the price curve can be a fairly steep slope. Things like how early of an issue is the book/jacket and the condition of the book can have a large affect on the price. Probably even more so when you are dealing with a fairly scarce to rare item. Lets say someone were to pay $25,000 for a book like yours and then a week later they find evidence that it is a much later issue. I don't thing the buyer would be very happy. That is why most buyers are more cautious when dealing with unknowns. But then all sellers hope they will find someone with deep pockets who does not care. Someone with more dollars than sense. I think it is quite possible that you will do well with the book, but I doubt if the final price will be near the $25,000 mark, and probably the same is true with the one you saw listed for sale at that price. But I wish you good luck selling you book, and I hope you do well.

Message 36 of 93
latest reply

Thanks for all your input. I certainly have learned a lot. I appreciate it  all.

Message 37 of 93
latest reply

Now tell me how rare is this MWB book in the first edition with dj. Wait till the moon is full.

Message 38 of 93
latest reply

Message 39 of 93
latest reply

Although this is a nice book, and is fairly early considering it has a Harper and Brothers imprint (pre 1963) and is in jacket, it is not too scarce. I see at least 4 copies listed on a major book site in the $35 to $50 range. This is by the way a later jacket priced at $2.50, the First edition had a $1.75 price. A really fine example of the First Edition would probably bring more of course. This is not in the same ball park with Goodnight Moon.

Message 40 of 93
latest reply

Thank  you sir.

Message 41 of 93
latest reply

I've decided to list GOODNIGHT MOON on my ebay!

Message 42 of 93
latest reply

Good luck!

Message 43 of 93
latest reply

Thanks!

Message 44 of 93
latest reply

Great find and I wish you all the best in selling this one.  Given that it has the Harper blue seal means that it is certainly not from the original year of print, but certainly rare to find any “Goodnight Moon” that has a dust jacket with the Harper and Brothers imprint.  Stan is correct, the first state will list the Fur Family and not Little Chicken to the back of the jacket.

Message 45 of 93
latest reply