cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW RARE IS A FIRST EDITION COPY WITH DUST JACKET OF Goodnight Moon BY Margaret Wise Brown

How rare is this book. Have I stumbled upon another rare treasure? Thanks Aundra.

Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

HOW RARE IS A FIRST EDITION COPY WITH DUST JACKET OF Goodnight Moon BY Margaret Wise Brown

Over 6,000 copies were sold in the first fall of 1947. That does not mean that all were of one printing. I have seen nothing that says how many copies were in the 1st printing. But I doubt if the printing was extremely large, and not very big at all by today's standards. But the problem still is that without a price you can't prove that the book was printed any earlier than 1962. The jacket did make a change to the rear flap ad from Little Fur Family to Little Chicken. The Little Chicken ad was on later copies and I believe it was still on early Harper & Row copies. Does your copy have Little Fur Family on the rear jacket flap ad? So how large do you think the first printing was that "they had copies laying around for years"? A book that has sold 50 million copies or more did not sell all of them in a day. And it still comes back to what you and actually prove. Not I know my copy is a First Edition mainly because I own it. Did you buy it in 1947? 

Message 91 of 93
latest reply

I didn't say that mine was a first edition witout a doubt. But it might be.  Without a copy of a DJ with 1.75  intact you can't  prove that it isn't. You are saying that mine is not a First edition,  is nothing but speculation also.  The fact that it has a dust jacket is amazingly rare! Until you produce one unclipped  at 1.75 or one shows up, all other evidence says mine is a first edition.

Message 92 of 93
latest reply

By the way I did sell the book a long time ago.
Message 93 of 93
latest reply