what BBS is for x
Message 4276 of 4,794
latest reply

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

I've never found a way.
Message 4277 of 4,794
latest reply

On a few of these the tissue guard is partially sticking to image and when I try to gently pull it off little pieces of the tissue tear off and stick. Is there any way to unstick the tissue paper without of course damaging the underlying image?

Can't guarantee results in all cases but try gently warming it with a blow dryer held a foot or so away.
Message 4278 of 4,794
latest reply

Ask.
Message 4279 of 4,794
latest reply

Hi -

I'm guessing there isn't any definitive answer to this question but I get very confused about pricing signed books. If the book is not particularly rare but averages $50 or more when sold unsigned and I can't find any signed copies listed anywhere....how do most of you handle a signed copy? When the book is already scarce and getting high prices unsigned I get very confused about how much more to add to the asking price. I'm guessing I should start high and see what happens? I tend to prefer the auction format rather than Buy it Now since I've had many items go over the beginning price. But I haven't been here in awhile and am not sure about how the current economy is affecting things.
Message 4280 of 4,794
latest reply

The effect of a signature on the value of a book depends very much on the type of book. A signature on a novel or children's book by a collected author will add considerably to the value.

If the book is a study of Peruvian orchids, it will have very little influence on the value.

One useful technique is to compare prices for signed/unsigned copies of other books by the same author.
Message 4281 of 4,794
latest reply

up to a point … x
Message 4282 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks oldbookshopnj. Trouble is, many of the books I have signed don't have comparison copies on Ebay or elsewhere. Perhaps some were rarely signed. When a book price is high or the book is scarce but on a desirable topic (I've learned a bit about this from previous Ebay auctions), I have a hard time vetting the book. I know that some brave souls here start a book at a relatively low price and let bidders go for it but I don't have nerves of steel and find that method has results that vary from week to week.

I do like the Buy it Now option when I can't find info on a scarce or even rare book. Also, if a book was meant to be sold only in certain countries (and the book title page indicates such) does that possibly add to the value? I had one book, early edition, Jane's airplane book (which I knew was desirable) and the fact that it had Japanese stamped info on the front section as well as vintage photos (loose and in the book) were reasons that one bidder bid higher on that one (as he told me).
Message 4283 of 4,794
latest reply

Generally sales retrstricted to a particular area do not influence the value of a book. English language rights are usually sold for two separate areas--North American and the rest of the world.
Message 4284 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks!
Message 4285 of 4,794
latest reply

*bump*
Message 4286 of 4,794
latest reply

qplfriends
Enthusiast
I have a book Herders Konversation Lexikon, Published by B. Herder St. Louis MO 1903. Large book

It's Britte Ruflage under the title (perhaps the compiler?).
Book is NOT in English.
Since I really don't know what the book is how do I describe it and since it's not in English will the "actual" title be something a buyer might recognize. I found one listed in addall books I believe 175.00 (I doubt that is what I could expect??)
Message 4287 of 4,794
latest reply

It is a single volume of a multi-volume German encyclopedia first published in the mid-1800's.

"Britte Ruflage " probably is "Dritte Auflage" [Third edition].

As an odd volume covering only part of the alphabet, it has very little sales potential.
Message 4288 of 4,794
latest reply

qplfriends
Enthusiast
Thank you. There is a number 2 above the names Bonar-Elderado; ah... that is probably the part this volume covers. I will list cheap and see what happens since free listing. I suspect if I had the complete set I would have more success??
Message 4289 of 4,794
latest reply

To sell a single volume of an encyclopedia you need to find some interesting illustrations or articles. Hopefully it has color plates.
Message 4290 of 4,794
latest reply