Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Ask any question about any book Part II

qplfriends
Enthusiast
No color, but nice black and white and since I have 4 volumes which may or may not be complete we'll see.

QUESTION: I received a set of Motif-index of folk literature, 1957, Stith Thompson, Indiana Press. I'm tempted to believe it has no real market on e-bay or otherwise (unless I have an unlimited amount of time to wait??) Or, am I mistaken. I found new editions listed.
Thank you.
Message 4291 of 4,794
latest reply

To find out if the encyclopedia is complete, look at the volume numbers and what parts of the alphabet are covered. Since volume 2 only goes to Eldorado, it is unlikely that two more volumes will get you to Z.

The "Motif-Index" is more of an Amazon book than an ebay book, but it won't be a fast sell.
Message 4292 of 4,794
latest reply

qplfriends
Enthusiast
Yes, I found through volume 4 on the encyclopedia letter T -- there are a few more boxes to go through so it may have gotten separated since it's ex library.

Guess we'll pass on the motif-index -- the library is going through a renovation and clearing out older items they don't have space for and trying to list as much as possible that may sell fairly quickly. Thank you
Message 4293 of 4,794
latest reply

Just picked up a Dore Bible Gallery Book . Looks to be in near mint condition ...any idea of Rarity - Value . Thanks .
Message 4294 of 4,794
latest reply

Can anyone tell me the title and appx. age of this antique German book.
I don't think it is a Bible but seems to be a religious book. Might it be of any interest or value to a collector. It seems to be the binding of 2 different books. The first part is short with16 pages with large lettering and slightly larger pages. The bulk is a smaller print with numbered paragraphs. Has a few loose leafs. No date of printing any where. It's rough but looks to be mostly all there.

http://merr.com/users/xcentrik/wass1.jpg

More pictures:
clickHEREforPHOTO2!

clickHEREforPHOTO3!

clickHEREforPHOTO4!

clickHEREforPHOTO5!

clickHEREforPHOTO6!

clickHEREforPHOTO7!

Message 4295 of 4,794
latest reply

I was able to lcate only one example of this work although someone else may come along with more info.

Title:Frommer Christen Geistliche Wasser-Quell, oder Christliches Gebet-Büchlein : darinnen enthalten Morgen- und Abend-Seegen auf alle Tage in der Wochen........

Which basically translates to Morning and evening prayers of pious Christians on all days of the year .

The example I located is with Worldcat, and is listed as published at Frankfurt, 1738.
Message 4296 of 4,794
latest reply

Defintely has the look of mid to late 18th century paper.
Message 4297 of 4,794
latest reply

dove3ducks:

These are some asking prices: Dore Bible Gallery

Many different publishers put out editions, and these editions are have different sizes, different bindings, and different quality paper. There are also recent reprints.
Message 4298 of 4,794
latest reply

bottomlessattic:

I think you are right in suspecting that it is two books bound together--the typefaces are very different, the first group has numbered pages while the second does not, and the first uses catchwords.

The first part is clearly incomplete--page 16 ends mid- sentence and has a catch word for the following page. The second part is also clearly incomplete. It starts with a contents leaf, "Inhalt des Gesangsbuchs" (Contents of the Song Book), and the first item listed is #3.

I could not find a closer match to the title than the one lyceumdreams located, which is extremely similar, but not identical. The Worldcat listing says that title has 48 pages.

Both parts have been trimmed in a rebinding.
Message 4299 of 4,794
latest reply

Hi -- I have been selling off a collection of underground comics and esoteric books and magazines that my brother-in-law acquired way back when. Most of this material dates from the '60s and '70s.

I came across an interesting publication and while I know what it is I am not sure what it might be worth. I originally listed it a little over a month ago with a starting price of $75. I have since lowered the price to $50 but really have no idea if I am giving this away or if it is way overpriced.

Here is what I have:

Rights in Conflict: A report Submitted by Daniel Walker, Director of the Chicago Study Team. One of only 500 original copies produced by the study team with the original press release dated Dec. 1, 1968. Includes 75 pages of black-and-white photos. Commercial copies are now out of print, but this is a rare, limited edition example produced by the Walker committee. It is in pristine condition as my brother-in-law is a bit of a fanatic.

It was reported that the GPO refused to print this report so I am not entirely sure how this got printed. I have it listed in Books/nonfiction and historical memorabilia.

Any help with pricing or selling would be appreciated.
Message 4300 of 4,794
latest reply

queenterry
Enthusiast
Hello, I have a question about which copyright is the true year a book was made. For instance copyright 1960 by so so and renewed copyright 1988 by so and so. So my question is was the book published in 1960 or 1988? Thanks in advance. Terry
Message 4301 of 4,794
latest reply

Hello, I have a question about which copyright is the true year a book was made. For instance copyright 1960 by so so and renewed copyright 1988 by so and so. So my question is was the book published in 1960 or 1988? Thanks in advance. Terry

You have at least two questions here.

For general information about copyrights try this dot gov site: http://www.copyright.gov/

If the book says copyright 1960 - that is the year that the author, editor, publisher received the copyright for that book. It may NOT be the year the book was written (could have been written way before), or the year the book was published (may not have been published until later than copyright date).

If there is an additional copyright of 1988, somebody may have renewed the original 1960 copyright, thus protecting the contents of the book for an additional X number of years.

There are LOTS of variables about copyrights. If you have a specific question about a specific book we'd be happy to help. Please include title, author, publsiher any date information and preferable photos of the book and title page and back of title page.
Message 4302 of 4,794
latest reply

Good Grief! Phat Phinger Phenomenon! Sorry about that:8}

Please include title, author, publisher, any date information and preferably photos of the book, title page and back of title page.
Message 4303 of 4,794
latest reply

bestpaperboy:

Is this what you have?

Book Description: Chicago, 1968, xiii,233(10)pp. w/88 pp. of photo illus. 4to. First ed. This is the true first ed. in blue wrps (v.g.) w/the ten-p. supplement. Precedes G & D, Dutton, and Braceland editions. The Govt Ptg Office contracted this title rather than involve itself in the mire. The report was released by the Nat'l Commission on the Causes & Prevention of Violence. Release news sheet & news article tipped in. Copies of this ed. elsewhere to six fifty!

If so, these are other copies of it currently offered for sale: Walker Report
Message 4304 of 4,794
latest reply

queenterry:

If there is a copyright renewal date of 1988, your copy was not published before then, but could have been published at any time after that.
Message 4305 of 4,794
latest reply