Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

That's not a simple question. Different publishers have different practices, these practices may change over time, and they may not always be consistent.

In your particular case, the information on the copyright page indicates that you have the ninth printing ["i"], done in November, 1946.
Message 3796 of 4,794
latest reply

Hello!
I have a D.H. Lawrence book titled "The Lovely Lady". This book is a hardback that has a green textured or leathery look, but it’s really paper over the hardback. The book is 246 pages, and is 7 inches high, almost 5 inches wide. There is no dust jacket and the name of the book on the spine is in silver. The name and author are also indented on the front top of the book, but no color, it blends into the green. The pages are yellowing. The peculiar thing is that there is absolutely no publication page or information about dates, etc. anywhere. It does not appear that any pages were removed. First there is a blank page, then a title page, then another title page with the author's name, then the contents page, then another title page, then the first story.

Is there any information you can give me about this book such as how old it might be or why there wouldn't be a publication page?

Many thanks in advance,
Joni
Message 3797 of 4,794
latest reply

49thstreetgallery49 - have you checked the back of the book for a colophon? The London edition by Martin Decker is 246pp.
Message 3798 of 4,794
latest reply

Likewise the Wm. Heinemann London edition.
Message 3799 of 4,794
latest reply

Thank you!

No, I checked the back of the book and there is nothing, just Page 246 and then a blank page.
Message 3800 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast
Is anyone familiar with a thin little book for children published around 1883 by Estes and Lauriat? It's titled My First Book for Little Pets, has colorfully decorated paper-covered boards. The pictures inside are all black & white, possibly lithographs. I've found only 2 other children's books in this category from this publisher listed on Abe. Is it uncommon, or is it unimportant?

Here's a link to a pic: http://home.comcast.net/~tiggerdog/firstbook-front.jpg
Message 3801 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast
I should have added that I googled a number of sites with information about Estes & Lauriat. One of them mentioned My First Book, but it seemed to be thought much less important than the Chatterbox serials or the many literary works they published in those days. I found only two of the small size child's books similar to First Book. There don't seem to be any later editions, although many of their other books are being published today.
Message 3802 of 4,794
latest reply

Hi,

I was wonderful if this is a first edition.

Signed, dated, inscribed Over the Top by Arthur Guy Empey, copyright, 1917 by the author, stated~Second Impression, G.P. Putnam's Sons, New York and London, The Knickerbocker Press, 315 pages.

Thanks, Cheryl
Message 3803 of 4,794
latest reply

Redduck333: "Second impression" means second printing; it is not a first edition. It is also a very common book.

thereader: I do not find any copies of it listed on Worldcat; it is certainly uncommon. Children's books are far less represented in library collections than more "serious" books, but you could certainly mention this in your description.

It may also be unimportant, but Estes & Lauriat is a major publisher, and I think it is a bit unusual not to find any listings for one of their titles. However, basically you are selling visual appeal with this book, and you are throwing in the scarcity as an added enhancement.
Message 3804 of 4,794
latest reply

oldbookshopnj,

Thank you

It so nice to know people like you are here for all of us.

One of these days I hope I'll be able to help more than I do. After six years I only know about 10%.

Long way to go.
Message 3805 of 4,794
latest reply

redduck:

The more you learn, the more you become aware of the amount that you don't know. Your knowledge increases, but your lack of knowledge expands.
Message 3806 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast
Thanks, Oldbookshop. I'll definitely mention the scarcity now that it has been confirmed. So often I think a book is scarce but then I find I just didn't know where to look! This copy is in quite nice condition, too.
Message 3807 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast
I've found a couple of other kids' books that I'd like to ask about if anyone has some time to answer some questions. Both have to do with finding publication dates.

One is Wee Peter Pug by Ernest Aris. No date of any kind, but the number 309 F is on the front cover. Although the cover is worn around the edges, it's otherwise pretty good. All pages and pictures are there and secure. A few light fingermarks, and the name Joe in pencil on the ffep. The paper over the front board is a bit rippled and somewhat soiled.

Questions: How can I find how old it is, and would its condition be considered Good +. Prices are pretty high on Abe, and those copies don't sound as good as mine. Some appear to be newer (with dj).

The other is Tales for Teeny Wee by Natalie Joan, illustrated by Ann Anderson and Alan Wright. Again, no dates, but inscription on ffep says 1941. It looks way too old for '41. The pages are aged and all loose and 6 are missing, but the illustrations are wonderful. I rarely use the word adorable, but it really fits in this case. I'm tempted to say in the listing that it's worth the price just for the pictures.

Questions: How to find the date on this one also? Is it worth selling in this condition? I'm almost tempted to mat and frame the pics if it's not worth anything to anyone, although it's against my nature to dismantle an old book.
Message 3808 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast

This is a Worldcat listing for "Wee Peter Pug":

Title: Wee Peter Pug /
Author(s): Aris, Ernest A. 1882-1963. (Ernest Alfred),
Publication: Chicago : Saalfield,
Year: 1931
Description: [42] p. : ill. (some col.) ; 21 cm.
Language: English
Responsibility: by Ernest Aris.
Material Type: Juvenile (no specific ages) (jau)
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19890617
Update: 20080827
Accession No: OCLC: 20250902
Database: WorldCat

There is no real guarantee that this is your edition, however, since the Saalfield identifying number is not part of the description, and the title appears earlier in combinatin with other titles.

This is a Worldcat listing for the second book, again with no guarantee that it matches yours:

Title: Tales-for-teeny-wee :
in two parts /
Author(s): Natalie-Joan.
Herbertson, Agnes Grozier. ; Sing song stories.
Publication: Racine, Wis. : Whitman Publ. Co.,
Year: 1930-1939?
Description: 248 p., [7] leaves of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm.
Language: English
SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Children's stories, American.
Note(s): Part 2: Sing-song stories / by Agnes Grozier Herbertson ; illustrated by Anne Anderson & Alan Wright./ Cover title: Teeny wee stories.
Other Titles: Sing song stories.; Tales for teeny wee.; Teeny wee stories.
Responsibility: by Natalie-Joan ; illustrated by Anne Anderson & Alan wright.
Material Type: Juvenile (no specific ages) (jau)
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19940208
Update: 20010523
Accession No: OCLC: 29765886
Database: WorldCat

Children's books, particularly those that were cheap originally, are poorly represented in library collections.

The book would not meet my personal standards for "good."
Message 3810 of 4,794
latest reply