satnrose
Guide
There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

Re: A book that looks like nothing.

I'm not interested in a book!  I need a person to help me because I'm blind.  If you can't do this, say so.  I tried to  tell my issue with an expert.  Your software just returns me to the first page-can't ask questions that way.  If you can't provide me with a person to talk to I will not order from you again.  It just doesn't work for me because of my sight.  I also don't have 24 hours to work on this.

Very Disappointed  I only want one option-to talk to a live person.

Kirsten Meyer

Message 1966 of 1,978
latest reply

While most coffee table art books are 'a dime a dozen', apparently 'Landscapes of James Reynolds' is an exception, with two selling for over $400 on eBay in recent months.

Message 1967 of 1,978
latest reply

Satnrose,

That book is not nothing.  It's an oxymoron. 

Even the book Security is an oxymoron.  Here is a list 

of similar, yet rare books we've lost:

1.  Privacy Today

2. Apps That Work

3. Secure Communications

4. Anonymous 

5. Getaways That Get You There

6.  Secrets We Keep

7.  Freedom and Privacy

If anyone finds any of those actual items, I'll buy them

in almost any condition.

Oh yeah, one, no, two, no three, more:

8.  Quick Computer Solutions

9.  Phone Support

10.  Safe and Effective

Cheers and Happy Hunting!

Message 1968 of 1,978
latest reply

Thanks for this list, it is so very helpful and adds so much value to the nearly 20 year old dialogue! Truly an eye-opening reply!

Message 1969 of 1,978
latest reply

Elon Musk mentioned Security Analyst (sort of) on Twitter a week or so ago. The list (IMHO) may be a honey-do list. Elon Musk is known to fix things like that are on holm_ho_3m749zze list.  Titillating to think EM would come back to his old alma mater and fix her up. A fleet of electric delivery trucks would be one suggestion. Qatar maybe could help(-;?

Message 1970 of 1,978
latest reply

This 1968 Walt Disney Company Annual sold for best offer under $300 recently.

Item 314106398482 sold for Best Offer < $300 on April 13, 2023

RARE! 1968 ANNUAL REPORT WALT DISNEY PRODUCTIONS

Item Description:
"RARE! 1968 ANNUAL REPORT WALT DISNEY PRODUCTIONS
PRE-OWNED
IN GOOD CONDITION
PAGES ARE IN VERY GOOD CONDITION FOR THEIR AGE
COVER HAS MINOR STAINS
These are pictures of the actual item up for sale.

Please review pictures before purchasing this item and review pictures for your own judgment on condition.

Message 1971 of 1,978
latest reply

My personal ebay favorite:  A paperback book (thumbs down) that doesn't look so hot (thumbs down) on how to use a slide rule (thumbs down, *grumble grumble*) as written by Issac Asimov (thumbs up buy buy buy!).  Turned out to be a 10000% profit and one of the very pleasant discoveries that I liked on the hobby side of things where it got very fun.  Was pretty fun to just look at and think this super-famous sci-fi author got pitched (successfully) for something so mundane and ultimately an obsolescent skill (for today).

Message 1972 of 1,978
latest reply

Chanel catalogs, not so old, can sell for hundreds of bucks on eBay: 

Chanel Catalogs, sorted by highest price.

Message 1973 of 1,978
latest reply

First editions of Cixin Liu's 'The Three Body Problem' are likely to appreciate in value once the TV series is released in March on Netflix.

The book was originally published in 2006 in a Chinese science fiction serial, then as a stand alone book in 2008. in 2014 Ken Liu (no relation) translated the book into English for Tor Books, where it became the first Asian novel to win a Hugo Award for Best Novel.

Game of Thrones writers David Benioff and D. B. Weiss are adapting the series for Netflix, with a scheduled release date of March 2024.

In 2019 Subterranean Press issued a signed and numbered edition of 526 copies.

See here for 'Three Body Problem' books sold on eBay for over $100.

Message 1974 of 1,978
latest reply

Here's a new one for the "Books That Look Like Nothing" thread.  I was thrilled to find this at a local auction.  It literally looks like nothing, but sold on eBay for $516.00.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305302412902

1920s

Original 

I.B.F. 

INTERNATIONAL BAR FLIES 

Member's Booklet

Courtesy of HARRY'S AMERICAN BAR 

#1 Location

Paris, France

Offered is an extremely rare, original I.B.F. - International Bar Flies member's booklet issued to anonymous member #15304 by Harry's New York Bar in Pariscirca 1920s.

Much of the inside of Harry's New York Bar in Paris was imported straight from New York.  When Clancey's Bar on Seventh Avenue in Manhattan closed because of Prohibition, American jockey Tod Sloan had it dismantled piece by piece and shipped over to 5 Rue Daunou and renamed it the New York Bar.  Later purchased by Harry MacElhone, a former
bartender who renamed it Harry's New York Bar, it became a popular hangout for Americans looking for a taste of home while in Paris.

MacElhone came up with a club for his most dedicated customers - the Brotherhood of the International Bar Flies.  The I.B.F., as it was called, was a "secret and sacred fraternal organization devoted to the uplift and downfall of serious drinkers."  Along with I.B.F. lapel pins, each member received a bright red notebook with the club logo on the front: a dead fly on a sugar cube.

Members of the I.B.F. included F. Scott Fitzgerald, Thornton Wilder and Ernest Hemingway, along with boxer Jack Dempsey, coach Knute Rockne and fashion designer Coco Chanel.  

Aside from being the oldest cocktail bar in Europe and the birthplace of the Bloody Mary cocktail, fictional character James Bond is said to have lost his virginity at Harry's American Bar according to Ian Fleming's "From a View To a Kill."  

The 4 1/4" x 3" booklet comprises 10 pages stapled in red card wraps, along with both a front and rear pastedown page.  The handwritten member's number of 15304 is written on both front and rear pastedowns.  

The List of Traps names 74 different I.B.F. bar locations worldwide with addresses and names of who's in charge. 

One of the bars listed is Hotel Cecil Bar in London.  Named after the former London home of the powerful Cecil family, which once occupied the site, the Hotel Cecil opened in 1896 and stretched from the Strand to the Thames. By the 1920s, a jazz band was hired, turning the Hotel Cecil into a favored haunt for hedonistic flappers and gents.

Due to "Trap No. 7" in this notebook listing the Hotel Cecil Bar, we can confidently date this booklet to the 1920s, inasmuch as the end of the Roaring Twenties also signaled the end of the Cecil.  In 1930, the hotel was bought by Shell-Mex and the building largely demolished in the space of 16 weeks.  
Message 1975 of 1,978
latest reply

Greetings,

I am a bookworm and have over 2000 books in my library. This IBF club booklet is a very interesting bit of history, and I can see why it sold for so much! 

Thank you for sharing this with us! Now I have another quest to research.

Best regards,

John/wiggy1-61

Message 1976 of 1,978
latest reply

Many of the vintage 'Frederick's of Hollywood' ephemera is selling for decent money on eBay:
Frederick's Of Hollywood, sold items over $30.

Message 1977 of 1,978
latest reply

Depends. Usually an antique is around that age. But for Books it might have to be a little longer...and The author must at least be well known

Message 1978 of 1,978
latest reply