cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lampwork questions and tips

Ok, I need to know the differences, and working tips on: opalino albaster latticino I should be getting my orders in the mails soon. Lauri
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Also, is there any differences quirks or anything else you can think of between moretti, lauscha and vetrofond glass? Lauri
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Ok Lauri, here's what I have learned.:) As far as differences and quirks? I have found that moretti and vetrofond work basicaly the same. Lauscha is also pretty much the same, but I would say that it is slightly stiffer that these other two and takes just a little bit more heat to get it to move? I really like Lauscha for sculpture, because it tends to hold it's shape a little better. The opalino and alabaster colors tend to boil really easy, so you will want to work them far out in the cooler part of your flame. I have also found that some of these colors strike. This means that when they are really hot they will loose their color. Then you will have to let the bead cool slightly and re-introduce it back into the cooler part of the flame to get the color to return. As for latticino? I havn't used much of the pre-made stuff, because I make my own. So I don't really have an opinion or any tips for working with it. ~Rog..
~Rog..
Message 3 of 40
latest reply

jmdesign
Enthusiast
Latticino is made with a white core, transparent color thens lots of clear. I like working with it rather than making my own because you can get good defined color. It's great for making twisties. Pull it thin to get a thin line. I use black latticino on my cats for whiskers because I want them very, very thin. The clear disappears and all you see is the thin black line.
Message 4 of 40
latest reply

vivalavidastudios_1
Enthusiast
Any tips for working with the silver plum colors?
Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Does anyone here use Bullseye glass for lampworking? I am having a dickens of a time with reduction with some of their colors. Currently, I use an oxidizing flame on my minor and work about 4-5 inches out. grrr... Does anyone have any tips for lampworking with Bullseye? Thanks so much! ~Carole
Bead Happy,
Carole

My Lampwork Beads on eBay!

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

Carole, I just sent in a new order for some Bullseye glass. I havn't used bullseye for about three years, but if I fugure out any tips for using it? I'll let ya know;)
~Rog..
Message 7 of 40
latest reply

Carole, which colors are you trying to reduce? Go to their site and click on their education link. You will see a "torch tips" link that tells you about their different colors and how to work them 🙂

The more things change, the more they stay insane.
Message 8 of 40
latest reply

Thanks. I am trying NOT to reduce them. 🙂 I did check our there torch tips and it just says to use in an neutral to oxidizing flame - which I am. They also state on there that some colors (like white) are prone to turning grey. I guess I just need to keep increasing the percentage of oxygen until I can get it. It sure makes it slower. Thanks, ~Carole
Bead Happy,
Carole

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Are you using tanked oxy or an oxycon? What is the ratio (oxy to propane) you are using?

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

vivalavida.......I've worked with both silver plums but only used them as decoration (stringer, dots) and then reduced.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

vivalavidastudios_1
Enthusiast
yeah, my first attempt it basically looked like black stringer. My second try, I was not even trying to reduce, and it turned out all silvery and gorgeous! I guess it's one of those Zen things...
Message 12 of 40
latest reply

Zen....holding your tongue in the right position......phase of the moon.......mars in retrograde......if Britney is divorcing K-Fed that day or not......

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Happy Birthday USA - I got it. I kept picturing Roger telling me to be patient. Now my beads are annealing with Bullseye white - no scum. Lesson learned - every kind of glass is different!! ~Carole
Bead Happy,
Carole

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Yay Carole! Yes, Grasshopper.....be paitent....and good things will come to you;)
~Rog..
Message 15 of 40
latest reply