cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking it on the Road... doing craft fairs...

captelaine_1
Enthusiast
So any advice from folks who do craft fairs? I realize it is way more 'work' than listing on eBay, but is it fun? is it profitable? Any tips for the newbee starting out? Capt Elaine
Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

momas*treasures
Enthusiast
thank you Katherine, that is what I needed to know and hear. I worked for a fabric store for several years so I have plenty of velvety black and black satin etc. so that is not an issue. I have a bone china fist for the bracelets and bought that bone china hand that I have used one of my photos of my necklace for. I also have several of the round/oval/sqaure balsalm boxes, we used that before with our other items, but I just did not know if that would work. I wondered if we should buy cases that would lock. I also have two older wooden draws that we could put same nails in and then hang some on them. they are covered in navy fabric right now. thank you so much for being frank about the pegboard. thank you thank you. Mary Lou

Blessed Be,Moma
Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Mary Lou, is the show indoors or outdoors? outdoor displays have to be sturdy enough to take the wind and the rain and the uneven ground. indoor displays can be a little bit less durable. i just used plastic boxes from the dollar store. cart your stuff there in the box, then use the box for display. i'm also a big fan of spray paint. i've gotten unfinished wood pieces from the craft store and sprayed away. i love the hammered metal finishes in particular. dings, chips, whatever just need some wood putty and more spray paint. katherine
katherine -- giggling helplessly through life.
Message 17 of 30
latest reply

There is a store in my town where everything cost $1 ... they have at times some really nice looking small glass victorian lady figurines and jewelry boxes... when they do I buy several of these and use them as display props with some of my items at craft fairs... It makes a nice display and also a selling piece... if someone buys several of the higher priced items I give them one as a gift...and they tell others ......*grin*
elise
~a controlled pyromaniac ~

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain"
Message 18 of 30
latest reply

Katherine, I am new here so I just read this entire thread. I giggled when I read your come-back comments. One more that I heard somewhere is this: comment: Your stuff sure is expensive answer: Well, its not for everyone I love this and your answers, I just don't know if I am "tough" enough to use them!!! LOL Della
Message 19 of 30
latest reply

momas*treasures
Enthusiast
We used to do craft fairs. we have the gazebo set that is used by professional crafters. very sturdy frame and top. like a huge huge umbrella thing.

but we will not be doing outside shows anymore. my arthritis just cannot take the humidity or the misty mornings. though I love the misty mornings. I hope to be doing some of the schools and rec centers.

Blessed Be,Moma
Message 20 of 30
latest reply

piggie1880
Enthusiast
I know you asked this question a while ago but I had to add my two cents since I just started about a year and a half ago myself. I agree with a lot of those who wrote back a had a few chuckles. But wanted to add something I noticed. I found I do better at smaller shows. If there are only 1(me) or 2 jewelry people there people flock over. When I am at a street fair where there are potentially thousands of customers but hundreds of rivals, I never do as well. People will buy the "cheap" imports over my unique handmade one of a kind pieces in most cases. I still find the best deals are "home shows". A captive audience. No competion. They came to buy. And you can make 10 times the amount in a few hours what a show does in a weekend. Michele
Message 21 of 30
latest reply

I've mostly been a lurker here, but chime in every once in a while 🙂 I loved the come backs! It never ceased to amaze me at how rude people can be! Shows can be great for a lot of people, personally, I did well when I had my work in a local gallery when I lived in NM. Since moving to FL I've done a few "Home Shows". I love doing those and I agree with Michele, you make 10 times the money. My average earrings would sell for 22.50 and my bracelets started at 35.00. The hard part is having enough consistant showings to make a living. I've recently opened up on ebay and decided to sell my finished work seperately from my beads and findings. I don't get the same prices as I did at the home shows. Ideally a combination of venues would probably bring in the most overall, but I really love working from the house. Hope you do really well, I just don't have the same energy I once did...lol Candy
Message 22 of 30
latest reply

madglass1_1
Enthusiast
I don't know how well it would work for "finished" jewelry. But we take our pendants out to concert shows all the time and can easily make a few hudred. We just string them up on little black necklace cord and pack them in a gun case and head to our favorite bands show parking lots. We have only been to one small venue this year ... a Rat Dog show in binghamton NY .. not alot of people but we still made nearly two hundred dollars. We have alot of shows we plan on hitting threw july and august, it will be a busy summer, but we plan on bringin in around 1,000 when all is said and done. And hopefully there will be a good line up for fall tour.
Message 23 of 30
latest reply

momas*treasures
Enthusiast
I like the smaller shows also. since I have the anxiety issue, the big street fairs are out for me. I like the school shows, the firehouse shows etc. funny, sometimes the jewelry people we met in NJ were so rude when we were selling my quilted items and my husbands pewter figurines and chess sets. they even accused us at one show of being imported items. LOL we had our molds there and so we were able to defend ourself and make them look very stupid and silly. and now I am one! but I will never judge what someone else does. that is so rude. Mary Lou

Blessed Be,Moma
Message 24 of 30
latest reply

momas*treasures
Enthusiast
I think I will have to keep that one comeback in mind. it is amasing how some people think that they could make a chess set like my hubby does and paint it or stain it and have it look like his. we normally tell them that they are very free to try and give them the name of the company of the molds and the prices. that normally shuts them up. His painting is very very detailed. he even dots the eyes and you can see the whites of the eyes. we are talking about 2 inch figures. Now the pewter he just dips and we polish them. Mary Lou

Blessed Be,Moma
Message 25 of 30
latest reply

4605_enterprises
Enthusiast
Wow- I cranked out a bunch of green and black stuff for the swim team and it went like nuts at the last two home meets. I figured anything left would go for Halloween- not much left! I found some hysterical catfish beads in Milwaukee from (don't want to not say but don't want to get in trouble- ahhh!) er, JP sumthin' er other, that are literally Cat(head) Fish(tails), which the kids just ate up. I made $300 and I was already going to sit there all night and watch the kids swim- mine loved it! Popsicle money for the asking! Sarah
Message 26 of 30
latest reply

crowbirdiebeads
Enthusiast
Congratulations - that sounds great!! And I'd love to see a pic of the beads 🙂
Crowbirdie
Message 27 of 30
latest reply

upzndowns
Enthusiast
Mary Lou, have you posted a pic or two of your hubby's chess sets in the photo albums? there's an album in there for non beady stuff, i think. 'cause, it'd be a great promotional thing to do.... :D that's very cool, Sarah! i wouldn't have the courage to do something like that, sell at a game or such. stick me behind a table (or a bar, or a counter...) and i'm fine, but otherwise i tend to do a turtle impression. ah, eBay doesn't like us to promote off-site sellers. but, if the seller is on eBay, promote them all you like 😉
Message 28 of 30
latest reply

I agree on the small shows. Plus, if your community has an Artist's Hall or creative center, try to get in there. I diplayed my wares at a charity art show at Wild Oats over two weekends..cleared just under 1,000. Gave out alot of bcards, and nearly every person asked if I had a website. Collected names, addresses, and emails to inform them when my website would be up and info about future shows. A lady I met there needed a fill-in artist to show in her studio at our local Artist's Hall. Of course I jumped at the chance! Two night, cleared $500. So not as much money for my time, BUT I met the owner of the Hall and have my own spot reserved for the next show. And, I had the blessing to meet Artists of all types and backgrounds. Made some new friends and got the inside scoop on where the best places to show in town are. So while the Hall wasn't the most profitable, it WILL BE in the long run. Outside of that, I decided awhile back NOT to sell on Ebay. Between the number of designers on here, plus all the fees associated with auctions, I would starve to death. I have a good friend helping me develop a website. Once it is up, I will send out the address. Please visit it and give me feedback! :) I have tried local boutiques in more affluent areas of town with little results. Seems that if you don't design with 14K Gold, they think your items are worthless. The last place actually wanted to buy my pieces AT COST. I politely said that wasn't possible at this time, but thank you for the offer. I am not good with catty comebacks. I usally smile and say "sorry" or "no thankyou" and smile and smile until they walk away. The whole time I am THINKING bad things, just not saying them. Blame it on my Southern upbringing. 😉
Message 29 of 30
latest reply

beadsetcetera
Enthusiast
Great thread everybody! I am always looking for new and interesting ways to display my items. This year I'm adding children's bracelets, barrettes, and bows to my adult necklaces, bracelets and earrings. Any suggestions??? Jane
Message 30 of 30
latest reply