cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about making head pins

scbeachlover
Enthusiast
Ok, I was told that you can make your own head pins with sterling or fine silver. The instructions were to use butane and place the wire into the flame until it forms a ball on the end. I gave this a try this morning, but I used my propane instead of butane. The sterling is discolored and I can't get the original shine back. Can anyone advise on the subject. Many Blessings, Laurie
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I'm no expert but it sounds like heat scale and they need to be pickled.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

mysticafelicity
Enthusiast
Sterling always turns totally burned-black when you use the torch on it. Then it must be put into a "pickle" which is an acid like solution to remove the black ... but then it comes out looking "frosted" so it must be polished (VERY VERY annoying for small bits like headpins) solution: Use FINE silver (only costs about 10 percent more than sterling) this does not blacken and once your new headpin is cool, you can use it instantly.
Cathleen in Connecticut
artist, jewelrymaker and EXTREME bead addict
click the words at the top of my ME page to see links to my artwork and jewelry
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

scbeachlover
Enthusiast
Thank you sooooo much mystica!!!!! I hope I don't come across as a total nut, but will fine silver be listed as FINE silver or is there another name for this silver? I need to make a purchase. Please direct me! Many Blessings, Laurie
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

scbeachlover
Enthusiast
OPPS, What kind of pickling solution do you use for metal? I have seen some beautiful jewelery made from very odd pices of metal that had been pickled.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

you aren't supposed to put bare wire into a flame like that. it should be cleaned to remove oils and then dipped in flux. that will prevent most of the firescale issues. at that point, you can use flux remover (stained glass supplier) and avoid the nasty pickle issue. any mildly acidic solution will work for pickle. some artists even use the left-over pickle juice after eating all the pickles in the jar. you can also use the commercially available product. heating the solution will speed up the process. if you heat the solution, make sure that you don't use the container for food again. i bought a little crockpot ($3 at rummage sale) and it's dedicated for this purpose. please also be aware that you shouldn't simply pour used pickle down the drain since that violates laws in most jurisdictions. katherine
katherine -- giggling helplessly through life.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

scbeachlover
Enthusiast
Thank you so much Katherine for all your helpful info!!! How long does it usually take to pickle the wire? I also make stained glass so I already have the flux. I love to receive helpful info and already have the products needed as I live in (no mans land). A trip into town can be an all day adventure! Thanks for sharing. :) Blessings, Laurie
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Sweet or dill? 😄
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

nono-badkitty
Enthusiast
*snicker* dill please :D thanks for the info Katherine!
Sandi

If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk?? A Einstein
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

you pickle the wire until it's clean. it's really that simple. look periodically until you see that they're clean. they will be "pickle white" and require polishing. katherine
katherine -- giggling helplessly through life.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

shigee32
Enthusiast
Would the pickle juice and heating it work the same for lampwork? I just made a few beads with sterling on them in raised patterns and it definitely is missing the sparkle! I'm trying to find something that would bring that back to life without harming the glass. Thanks! Dawn
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Dawn, I have used the pickle juice and warming it thing for a few of the beads that I have made with the silver on them and yes, it works great!:) I have also noticed that on the colors that reduce easily? like turquoise? The pickle juice will help to remove some of the ugly black stuff that you get? Give it a try, It couldn't hurt;)
~Rog..
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

wish-a-bead
Enthusiast
I didn't know anything about the pickling process but I know that you can make your own head pin with wire...either pound it or wrap it or even curl it with a pair of pliers.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

shigee32
Enthusiast