cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for Removing the Smell of Cigarette Smoke from Vintage Barbie Dolls and Clothing

I try to avoid buying vintage Barbie items that have been owned by smokers, but every so often I purchase something that has been exposed to cigarette smoke. It is typically a beautiful vintage item and the price is right, but nevertheless, the smell is annoying.  Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the smell?

Thank you so much.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Suggestions for Removing the Smell of Cigarette Smoke from Vintage Barbie Dolls and Clothing

Wrap the item loosely in tissue and put it in a closed container with activated charcoal or clay kitty litter (unused, of course! Smiley Happy). You may have to leave it for as much as a couple of weeks, but this method is the best I've found fro removing odors without just covering them up with a different odor.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: Suggestions for Removing the Smell of Cigarette Smoke from Vintage Barbie Dolls and Clothing

Thank you so much for asking & answering this question! I just received a beautiful vintage Barbie that reeks of cigarette smoke. I will certainly try your suggestions. Kathy

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The same method works with bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) too - again, leave it a couple of weeks and there is no cover-up odour. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you Freddie!
Message 5 of 5
latest reply