cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assouline Barbie Book

I have an unopened Assouline Barbie book that I think I got from Barbie Collectibles years ago. 

Unfortunately, although stored in the box in a bedroom, there is some white mold on the edges. 

Do you think I should open up the cellophone package and wipe it off or sell it as is?   assouline barbie book 1.JPGassouline barbie book 2.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Assouline Barbie Book

opening the package will decrease value: yet you can not know what the extent of damage is with out doing so:

Your choice what to do on this one.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Assouline Barbie Book

I would venture that the mold is superficial, limited to just the outside of the book.  

that is the problem:   I can't decide what course of action to take!  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Assouline Barbie Book

There is an Assouline Barbie Book currently listed at $160 with 23 watchers. The book is in fair to poor condition and it has absolutely been open. I am unclear about what that white stuff is and whether it is under the cellophane or on top of it.  Regardless, it is a valuable item and whoever buys it is going to open it. If I were selling it, I would ascertain the condition, even if it meant removing the cellophane. If you can't know the condition of the interior, you can't know what you are selling. In your listing, you could explain that you removed the over-wrap to ascertain the book's condition. I have learned that I can't sell something in good faith and with honesty if I don't know what it is.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Assouline Barbie Book

@2010byandsel100 Your book is in wonderful condition, aside from the issue at hand. Without opening it you won't know the extent and therefore you are selling an item that basically is not described correctly. Your best bet is to open the book and either clean it up or worst case determine if any other damage was done to it.

Your book will still sell, and the amount won't change as drastically as you fear. Collectors want this book in good condition, not with white stains that are possibly mold. You would end up with a return and a nasty negative comment if you try to sell it without knowing the extent of any damages. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Assouline Barbie Book

I think you may be right.  I guess I will have to open up the cellophane (the mold is underneath it, not on top or I could just windex the cellophane).  

BTW:  this is not the $160 but rather the one that sells for around $1200.  (there is one on 'the real real' now) the ones for $700 are in japanese and I am pretty sure this one is in English (although I will also know that for sure when i open it).  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Assouline Barbie Book

@purchase1212 wrote:

I think you may be right.  I guess I will have to open up the cellophane (the mold is underneath it, not on top or I could just windex the cellophane).  

BTW:  this is not the $160 but rather the one that sells for around $1200.  (there is one on 'the real real' now) the ones for $700 are in japanese and I am pretty sure this one is in English (although I will also know that for sure when i open it).  

I understand you want the best price for your book, but you also want to make sure the buyer will be happy and not create a return for you. A true collector will be thrilled at getting your book and will pay a reasonable price for it. You will be fine and can now list your item correctly so that the buyer will know exactly what they are receiving. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Assouline Barbie Book

Wow! I have never heard of it but I understood your dilemma. It is a book, right? Maybe you could ask a book expert what you should do. I rarely sell books because there is a whole vocabulary that covers all the flaws the book may have, and as a lawyer, I want to be very careful about my descriptions and how I represent something.  I have never seen white mold. Maybe you could call someone in your town/city who sells rare books and ask them what you should do. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply