cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furniture Return on Return not accepted items.

So Before we start,  I'm aware of ebays return policy.  If someone "claims" a defect there is no recourse for a seller.   I thought there may be some recourse, because the buyer changed their story a couple times.  It certainly does not seem to be the case.  Even though several Ebay reps seemed to agree with us in theory.

Our Story:

We sold some stools.  Buyer asks for return because of size.  Buyer was obviously looking a 2 different listings and picked the wrong one.  I feel bad that the customer got an item that won't work for them.  Unfortunately we sold the items and included "free shipping".  Items were large and cost approx. $250 to ship.  Then we are expected to pay return shipping for an item that we did not misrepresent.  So another $250.  We will be out $500 because of buyers remorse.

Because of that, we decided to fight the return.  I feel bad but $500 is too much to let slide. 

We've been selling on Ebay for over 20 years now and we've had decent luck overall.  We've had to take a couple returns and lost money but not this much, not at one time.  We've had peopled extort money asking for partial refunds for fictitious damage, etc.  all part of doing business on Ebay, I guess. 

I guess my question is,  has anyone had success disputing a furniture return with Ebay?  Or how much money have you had to eat on a single return?  Ebay keeps threatening that they will refund the buyer and they will get to keep the item if we don't comply.

At this point we aren't sure what to do.  No Reps seem to be able to give us a solid answer. 

Thanks for your advice!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Furniture Return on Return not accepted items.

@furniturelounge   Honest answer is you have ZERO chance of winning an appeal on a return unless the buyer has abused the MBG return request option MANY times.  

Did you report them for return abuse?   https://spd.ebay.com/RBASellerHub    This doesn't get your money back but goes on the buyers record. 

If you do not refund willingly then the buyer keeps the items, you get a DEFECT and you do not get your sellers fees back.   

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

What reason did they give for the item not as described claim?

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Originally the buyer stated that the stools were the incorrect size.  Then started a return for item not as described.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Pretty sure your answer is correct. 

My issue is that I received an email from ebay stating that they "believed" my story and that they were going to make the buyer return the item at their expense.  If I did not get the product back in 10 days then they would release payment.    10 days have passed and no one seems to know why I haven't gotten my money or at least the merchandise back.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@furniturelounge wrote:

Ebay keeps threatening that they will refund the buyer and they will get to keep the item if we don't comply.

If you don't accept the return and provide return shipping, that's what will happen.

They will refund the buyer from your account and let them keep the items.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply