cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Buyer - what are seller rights?

I recently had a buyer request to a return item that was listed "as is".   I also mentioned in the listing that I did not know if the item ran (it was a model train) and that I had no way of testing it, which is why I listed the price so low (about 35% discount off the price I could have asked if I could have proved it was in running order).    I had a feeling the buyer was sketchy because as soon as he paid for the item he sent me VERY specific instructions on how to package the item for shipping to "avoid damages in shipping".   Even though it was an annoying (and sketchy) message, I followed his instructions just to be nice.  The item was delivered, and right away the buyer claims the item arrived damaged and also doesn't run.  Then the buyer messaged me photos of things that he broke off purposely to show the item was now damaged...and he tried to make a deal (wanting a discount).  I declined and told him it was obvious he damaged the item himself and that he was a scammer and that I would not accept his return.  Well...then eBay decided they would accept the return and they were going to hold on the payout.    After that, the buyer messaged me AGAIN saying "I will offer to consider keeping it for a discount that takes into consideration the actual condition of the item and the costs to diagnose the issues & make the required repairs with parts & labor."       It's obvious this buyer had this planned all along and probably has done this before although he has a high rating.  As a seller, am I expected to accept the returned item after the buyer damaged the item and was trying to pull a scam?   How am I supposed to be compensated for the damages caused by the buyer?  

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@acusq 

When a buyer files a Return Request due to item damaged/defective/not as described, as per the Ebay Money Back Guarantee you are supposed to respond to the Return Request by either providing a prepaid return shipping label so they can return it for a refund, or you can choose to issue a refund and let them keep the item. If you refuse to do either one, the buyer will ask Ebay to step in, which may result in Ebay refunding the buyer out of your funds and letting the buyer keep the item.

When was this sale? I don't see any of your sold listings that state "For parts/non-working" under condition. There is no "as is" condition on Ebay listings.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for the reply.  I listed the item as "as-is" in the description with very clear explanation.  I actually spoke to eBay customer service last night and they told me that once I receive the item back, I can file an appeal and that I would be compensated for the damaged item. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@acusq 

@*lady*madonna*  is correct that eBay does not support a seller claim of "as-is" and disclaimer of "not tested" unless the item condition is listed as "for parts only".

The assumption, when an item is listed, is that it will function. If it fails to function, or is damaged in shipping, then the buyer can open a "not as described" request and the seller is obligated to pay for the return, or offer a full or partial refund.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/item-conditions-category?id=47...

The item condition in your listing states:

Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Instead, the correct item condition in your category for your item would have been:

For parts or not working: 
An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller’s listing for full details.

So, while you could attempt to sell an untested item as working, as is stated in your selected item condition, you must take it back if it does not work (there is no as-is). If the item is damaged by a buyer trying to install or repair an item, then the customer service agent can look at the circumstances after the item has been returned to the seller.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply